Full Name: Dirkie Uys
Company Details: Landpartners
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Skype Name: duaus
Linkedin Profile: No

Managing same site - multiple scan database

Post by Dirkie2710 »

Hi,

We, as a long term contract, do continuous survey work at a large transport hub. Around 50Tb of data over the last 15 years.

Some areas have been scanned 3 times this year, other areas only once or possibly never.
Some projects are done for Revit/BIM and thus is modeled, other scans are part of service contract so not modeled and only provided so client arch, civil or MEP drafter.

Revit/BIM models are part of its own system at this moment, so drafters dont know or really see that data at all, although the scan data might assist them in keeping their records up to date. So they have to come ask and depending on who is in the office they might get an answer or maybe not.

Problem is that we don't have a system in place to trace where scans have been done and where not, and in places where there is multiple scans, which is the latest and where is it stored. Currently its a bit of a mess and looking for data is memory based. File structure is pretty good, data is just very scattered and no single source of info. We are located in the client office so easy so share data.

Any ideas of centralizing the data viewing in some way. I want to have a viewing platform that enables us as well as the client CAD team to determine if there are scans in any random area and where is that scan data stored.

Have thought of taking each dataset, creating a very sparse clone cloud and referencing that into something like Microstation that can be opened and everyone can find whatever they want, although this is very basic and tedious.

Thanks

Dirk
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Managing same site - multiple scan database

Post by gsisman »

Dirkie2710 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:28 am Hi,

We, as a long term contract, do continuous survey work at a large transport hub. Around 50Tb of data over the last 15 years.

Some areas have been scanned 3 times this year, other areas only once or possibly never.
Some projects are done for Revit/BIM and thus is modeled, other scans are part of service contract so not modeled and only provided so client arch, civil or MEP drafter.

Revit/BIM models are part of its own system at this moment, so drafters dont know or really see that data at all, although the scan data might assist them in keeping their records up to date. So they have to come ask and depending on who is in the office they might get an answer or maybe not.

Problem is that we don't have a system in place to trace where scans have been done and where not, and in places where there is multiple scans, which is the latest and where is it stored. Currently its a bit of a mess and looking for data is memory based. File structure is pretty good, data is just very scattered and no single source of info. We are located in the client office so easy so share data.

Any ideas of centralizing the data viewing in some way. I want to have a viewing platform that enables us as well as the client CAD team to determine if there are scans in any random area and where is that scan data stored.

Have thought of taking each dataset, creating a very sparse clone cloud and referencing that into something like Microstation that can be opened and everyone can find whatever they want, although this is very basic and tedious.

Thanks

Dirk
Dirk,

May be able to help you with ideas on creating a Spatial map of your site with Polygons (even 3D spatial envelopes) in ArcGIS online (Browser based GIS viewer ) ; that would have links to your general data stores of clouds in LGS format. Not sure of other packages, but with a Jetstream Viewer on any desktop (Free) (if you were using Jetstream files or LGS in a General repository) the LGS files could be viewed automatically by the Associated viewer (Jetstream Viewer) when the hyperlink was clicked on. DM me for more info.
gabrio
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gabrio Rossi
Company Details: Intellegere srl
Company Position Title: technical director

Post by gabrio »

Hi Dirk,
I suggest you to try Cintoo, web based, vendor agnostic, scan to BIM workflow (ok, maybe in Autodesk flower), for us a great tool to view and share point cloud, and more quality check the model. We discovered it last Intergeo 2019 in Stuttgart. We are using with a 1750+ scans project and it works well.
You have an overview map at the beginning to look for the scan positions ( so everybody can check if it’s existing, double, missing).
you can split an huge dataset in smaller work zones.
you can manage privilege and access based on the single user.

ciao

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
arch. Gabrio Rossi, MRICS
[email protected]

Passaggio dei Canonici Lateranensi n. 4
24121 Bergamo - Italy

+39.035.601.1492
Dirkie2710
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Dirkie Uys
Company Details: Landpartners
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Skype Name: duaus
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Dirkie2710 »

Hi Steve,

Yeah I played around with that idea in some form. Started out by creating 2D polygons and thought of attributing the dataset as you mention.
The area we cover has 3 main building.
Building A is around 7 different floors (each being around 40 000m² - 80 000m², and each floor might step/slope a few times so not in same Z plane)
Building B is around 3 floors (each being around 30 000m²)
Building C is also around 3 floors (each being around 30 000m²)

Then the remainder of our scope is the around the main buildings. Much is open space, with probably around 10 000m² of other buildings, but still an open air area of around 7 500 000m². Much of the open area has been scanned, at least once.

The issue I found with having 2D polygons is that sometimes scans are done over a few floors and crosses into other vertical zones, so the 2D becomes complicated. I then started creating basic 3D polygons in Revit, which I could attribute but it becomes so dense and you start losing yourself. You might have 3 spaces inside a big space and then you cant find them all of a sudden.

Sadly the client requires POD files for Microstation, as that is what they use to draw from. The LGS makes more sense as it can be brought in if they could switch from Descartes to Cloudworx, negates me having to create 3 (intensity, colour and B&W trueviews) and could then just do 1 file to do all of this and also use it in the global viewing platform.

I think Gabrio might be on to something using the Cintoo platform. I think we have a demo coming up with pointerra so will see what comes of it, as it seems to be the same kind of thing.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers
shawsimon
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Simon Shaw
Company Details: Cintoo
Company Position Title: Commercial Director

Post by shawsimon »

Hi Dirkie,

Cintoo does all that Pointerra offers plus a lot more, but without the bad file decimation.
With Cintoo, when you import your point cloud, it is transformed onto a mesh on your PC. The mesh imports all of the point cloud's structure, coordinates and points, but is 10 to 40 times smaller in file size.

Once the scans are uploaded, you can invite people to join the project, create crops or slice your project into different work zones (seperate the floors of a building for example), create annotations, make measurements, send messages to team members, create and manage issues or visit the 3D project using VR. You can also control access to the whole project or only specific work zones, or assign one person to work on one part of the project

You can also re-export from Cintoo back to point cloud format (e57, structured RCP, RCS) with no file decimation or directly export a unified mesh in .OBJ, FBX or STL formats. Choose to re-export a crop, a work zone, individual scans or the whole data set!!

In Cintoo you can compare scans with your models, or as you explained for your transport hub (with scans done several times per year) you can also compare scan-scan.

Your multi-building project could be stored in the same project in Cintoo, or as 3 seperate projects, depending on the workflow you use, and the people working on your job. FYI, with Cintoo, you can have unlimited projects and users. You only pay for the overall scan volume and if you want to switch on the scan/BIM comparison tools.

I'm happy to demo Cintoo to you if you like, otherwise, if you take the 30 day trial on our web site, I'll increase your scan volume while you test to 200 scans. Here's the link for the trial: https://cintoo.com/trial.html

Thanks
Simon Shaw

Return to “Leica Geosystems”