I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Quinton Pilat
Company Details: DK Metals
Company Position Title: Intern
Linkedin Profile: No

Cloudworx for Revit

Post by pilatquinton »

Having recently obtained Cloudworx Ultimate, my boss has shown great interest in producing Revit generated models of the buildings that we scan. As with everything else Leica has to offer, there is little to no documentation on how to use their software. Combine that with the fact that I have zero experience with Revit whatsoever, and I am beginning to feel somewhat lost.

Are there any tutorials out there that would help me?
What kind of projects have you accomplished with Revit?
dineshkimraj
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dinesh Kimraj
Company Details: Facilities Construction Consultants Ltd
Company Position Title: Senior Reality Capture Tech
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Cloudworx for Revit

Post by dineshkimraj »

You can get in-depth tutorials on Lynda or Linkedin Learning. You can sign up for a free month. Most of the projects I have used Revit for is architectural based.
pilatquinton
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by pilatquinton »

dineshkimraj wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:48 pm You can get in-depth tutorials on Lynda or Linkedin Learning. You can sign up for a free month. Most of the projects I have used Revit for is architectural based.
Thank you for the reply, I'll check both of those out.

Our work is almost exclusively architectural in nature; our product is installed on the facades of new and existing structures.
Robert_Lin
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Rob L
Company Details: GBC
Company Position Title: Researcher

Post by Robert_Lin »

As noted above for Revit there is Lynda, global e-training, youtube , AUGI Revit forums for help.

For anything Leica related its all paid training unless one of the more experienced users on the forum is willing to help you via direct messages or Paul Burrows from Leica.
Never really got much help from the Leica sales reps after buying the equipment up from where were from.

Best of luck!
mstachoni
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Matt Stachoni
Company Details: Tutor Perini Corporation
Company Position Title: BIM Manager

Post by mstachoni »

Lynda.com is now LinkedIn Learning. Check out the Revit courses by Paul Aubin:
https://www.linkedin.com/learning/instr ... ul-f-aubin
- Matt
TimJervis
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Tim Jervis
Company Details: Global Survey
Company Position Title: Business Development Manager

Post by TimJervis »

There is now a CloudWorx training module on Leica's online training portal. You'll need to register your CloudWorx EID on MyWorld and then you'll get access to the training. The training is AutoCad based but a lot of the functionality is mirrored in other CloudWorx packages (as you've got ultimate I assume the intention is to use it in more than just Revit?) - so I'd start with that in terms of learning CloudWorx. Worth mentioning that being able to use CloudWorx won't make you good at modelling in Revit - it's important to have some competency in Revit (or whatever package you're using) to get the best result. If it were me, I'd read up and get a bit proficient in Revit (without point clouds) and then look to work using point clouds and CloudWorx to build it up.

Once you've had a go, feel free to drop me a line and I may be able to provide a little extra information to help you in CloudWorx for Revit specifically.

Good luck!
Regards,

Tim
pilatquinton
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by pilatquinton »

Robert_Lin wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:22 pm As noted above for Revit there is Lynda, global e-training, youtube , AUGI Revit forums for help.

For anything Leica related its all paid training unless one of the more experienced users on the forum is willing to help you via direct messages or Paul Burrows from Leica.
Never really got much help from the Leica sales reps after buying the equipment up from where were from.

Best of luck!
Youtube and other forum users are always my two best options 8-)
pilatquinton
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by pilatquinton »

mstachoni wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:27 pm Lynda.com is now LinkedIn Learning. Check out the Revit courses by Paul Aubin:
https://www.linkedin.com/learning/instr ... ul-f-aubin
This guy seems incredibly helpful, going to try and burn through his learning before my free trial runs out!
pilatquinton
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by pilatquinton »

TimJervis wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:45 pm There is now a CloudWorx training module on Leica's online training portal. You'll need to register your CloudWorx EID on MyWorld and then you'll get access to the training. The training is AutoCad based but a lot of the functionality is mirrored in other CloudWorx packages (as you've got ultimate I assume the intention is to use it in more than just Revit?) - so I'd start with that in terms of learning CloudWorx. Worth mentioning that being able to use CloudWorx won't make you good at modelling in Revit - it's important to have some competency in Revit (or whatever package you're using) to get the best result. If it were me, I'd read up and get a bit proficient in Revit (without point clouds) and then look to work using point clouds and CloudWorx to build it up.

Once you've had a go, feel free to drop me a line and I may be able to provide a little extra information to help you in CloudWorx for Revit specifically.

Good luck!
I had no idea that there was training on MyWorld, I thought it was just for technical support! I've had a fair amount of time with Cloudworx, but it has been exclusively with AutoCAD, and everything I have learned has been through trial and error, so I feel as if I am only scratching the surface with what I have. I definitely agree with you on learning Revit before jumping in with point clouds, and I appreciate the help immensely!
TimJervis
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Tim Jervis
Company Details: Global Survey
Company Position Title: Business Development Manager

Post by TimJervis »

pilatquinton wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:25 pm
TimJervis wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:45 pm There is now a CloudWorx training module on Leica's online training portal. You'll need to register your CloudWorx EID on MyWorld and then you'll get access to the training. The training is AutoCad based but a lot of the functionality is mirrored in other CloudWorx packages (as you've got ultimate I assume the intention is to use it in more than just Revit?) - so I'd start with that in terms of learning CloudWorx. Worth mentioning that being able to use CloudWorx won't make you good at modelling in Revit - it's important to have some competency in Revit (or whatever package you're using) to get the best result. If it were me, I'd read up and get a bit proficient in Revit (without point clouds) and then look to work using point clouds and CloudWorx to build it up.

Good luck!
I had no idea that there was training on MyWorld, I thought it was just for technical support! I've had a fair amount of time with Cloudworx, but it has been exclusively with AutoCAD, and everything I have learned has been through trial and error, so I feel as if I am only scratching the surface with what I have. I definitely agree with you on learning Revit before jumping in with point clouds, and I appreciate the help immensely!
Have a go at the online training - it's a very new course if that makes you feel better!?!? Even for the experienced user I think it offers some good insights and tips. Maybe takes an hour - 1.5 hours, complete with demo data set. Well worth making the time for!
Regards,

Tim

Return to “Leica Geosystems”