I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Matt McDonald
Company Details: BRR Architecture
Company Position Title: Associate
Linkedin Profile: No

Fast Transfers from Field 360 to Laptop w/ BLK

Post by designmule »

Has anyone tried transferring scans captured using a BLK from an iPad to a PC using a lightning to Ethernet adapter on the iPad? Or has anyone tried successfully, to transfer scans from the Field 360 app to a PC using an alternate method?

I'm excited about using Field 360 with a BLK but I'm concerned about the practicality of transferring scans. If I scan for a day and go back to the office or to home where I have a good WIFI connection, I believe scans will transfer from the iPad to the laptop at a reasonable pace (while I sleep). If the job does not allow me to come home or return to the office over night, I'm concerned about the transfer speed from iPad to laptop utilizing the WIFI provided by the hotel.

Creating a LAN between the laptop and the iPad using a lighting to USB converter seems like a good plan. But if you are providing power and ethernet, the adapter isn't cheap.

The next question pertains to Android, if we replace our iPad with an Android tablet is it possible to transfer scans from tablet to laptop via USB C?

Seemingly, I have to scan over night more and more. Before I get some sleep I transfer the scans from the scanner first to our laptop and then to an external drive. This can keep me up for awhile so anything which speeds up the transfer of scans is supper appreciated.
GavFoster
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Gavin Foster
Company Details: Offset Services Ltd
Company Position Title: Photogrammetry - Laser Scan

Re: Fast Transfers from Field 360 to Laptop w/ BLK

Post by GavFoster »

This is currently my stumbling block. On my setup a registered data set from a BLK in Field 360 with anything more than 5 or so scans is taking a couple of hours to transfer via wi/fi to my pc. It's quicker for me to transfer from the BLK directly using it's less than rapid wi/fi connection.
Curious to hear if others have a similar problem or if it's just me & how they have solved it.

Gav
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by pburrows145 »

You should be able to use a lightning to Ethernet adaptor to "fake" a wi-fi connection for import into REG360 from FIELD 360... As long as the PC and the tablet on on the same network...

I have no answer to the USB port query... will ask the team and get back to you. I assume not. I could be wrong...
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

pburrows145 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:33 am You should be able to use a lightning to Ethernet adaptor to "fake" a wi-fi connection for import into REG360 from FIELD 360... As long as the PC and the tablet on on the same network...

I have no answer to the USB port query... will ask the team and get back to you. I assume not. I could be wrong...
Paul,

https://lifehacker.com/hack-together-a- ... 1770270331
jezlong
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: jeremy longyear
Company Details: RPS
Company Position Title: RPS

Post by jezlong »

Hello everyone,

I am starting to use the field 360 app with the blk360. site work EXCELLENT! apart from a few minor issues, got loads done and was looking forward to transferring to reg 360 back in office. I was told at a conference (by a leica rep here in the uk) that you could transfer via the ipad lightning cable to usb ( avoiding iTunes ) to reg 36o or cyclone. As you guys know this is not the case it has to be wifi. Cant believe leica have made the same choice again!! you gather so much data with obvious large file sizes then they expect you to use wifi to transfer data. The time I save on site is totally wasted back in office struggling to download via wifi. I accept my pc setup needs updating which is on the cards however my I.T department is in full control of my wifi access, needless to say the office wifi wont currently accept or recognise the ipad I'm using so I'm having to use the blk's wifi to link ipad and pc.....and then guess what.... the battery in the blk wont last long enough to download it all. I've gone back to the previous way of doing it just importing direct from the blk. All my bundles on site were a waste of time. Why cant we just connect via a cable as if it was just transferring from a hard drive? 15 scans from field 360 app has taken me 2hours to import using blk wifi…..just 145 to go! Might finish by the end of next week! My boss keeps asking me how long till the drawings will be ready....what can I say!? :( I so want this to work!!! Love the field 360app

I've bought a Belkin ethernet to lightning cable for £90 as suggested, will try this to speed things up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Etherne ... op?ie=UTF8

jez.
DoctaSayas
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Caleb Sayers
Company Details: VIP AA
Company Position Title: Architectural Designer

Post by DoctaSayas »

Just to add to this conversation.

I've noticed that the BLK transfers data significantly faster in an uncrowded wifi environment. Even other wifi networks seem to affect the speed of transfer somehow.

The BLK really desperately needs a better way to transfer data.
markscan
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Marco Dileo
Company Details: ARcontrol
Company Position Title: Architect

Post by markscan »

pburrows145 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:33 am I have no answer to the USB port query... will ask the team and get back to you. I assume not. I could be wrong...
Could you, please, ask about a potential BLK360 Smartphone app?
I love FIELD360, but surveying with an iPad in one hand is uncomfortable. I see the iPad as the best post survey device, very useful for registration, but for surveying control settings and timing BLK360 deserve a smartphone app, I’m hoping for this since 2017.
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer

Post by Scott.Warren »

Agreed, Field360 should be available on phones in case of emergencies (when tablets grow legs or the batteries die), or even to use the phone as a keyboard for the RTC360 so your projects/scans have meaningful names.
designmule
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Matt McDonald
Company Details: BRR Architecture
Company Position Title: Associate
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by designmule »

I can now confirm that a lightning to ethernet adapter allows you to transfer scans from the iPad to laptop without the use of wifi. I've only done a couple of small tests so I can't exactly say how much faster it is but it does work.

I purchased one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BM ... UTF8&psc=1
jezlong
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: jeremy longyear
Company Details: RPS
Company Position Title: RPS

Post by jezlong »

Hello all, i also purchased the Belkin Ethernet + Power Adapter with Lightning Connector, but i did have trouble with it being recognised by the program. I take it you just pluged it into the ethernet port on back of your pc and typed in the ip address the ipad displays when you press sync server within field 360 app? ...the troulbe is for me you obviously have to unplug the cable providing your internet link (unless you have wifi) and unplugging this takes away mt licence for reg 360 as it's hoasted on our server!.....yet another thing to overcome. :(

Return to “Leica Geosystems”