Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Live Position feature in Cyclone FIELD 360

Post by gsisman »

pburrows145 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:51 am
winslowkr wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:25 pm Makes our investment in P series scanners look even worse every day.... It's hard to see these kinds of updates not be applied to pro level scanners.
I tend to agree with Phil. Ensure you have the right product for your needs.

There was never really a plan to offer tablet support for the ScanStation Series, and it's pretty safe to say the ScanStation is an awesome beast of a scanner... I'd be more than happy with one for a whole variety of surveying tasks.

On the flip-side there is no survey workflow on an RTC360... so, swings and roundabouts...

As Phil states we have 3 different levels of scanners (and a sub-selection within the P-series 30/40/50), all of which have a place within a surveyors tool-set.

Regardless, I will ask the question about ScanStation support within Cyclone FIELD 360.
The Field 360 App really does not interfere with the software selling goals of Leica. You certainly still need to do more Cross tie C2C registrations to tighten up your scans beyond the allowed one link per branch in Field 360, but it speeds up the initial workflow for Registration. But without the VIS you probably wouldn't be able to get close enough for the tight Cloud to cloud- UNLESS you could incorporate transferring the scanned TARGET position (and the Dense target scanning ability of the P-series) in the Field 360 workflow, which would also allow minimal transfer of each cloud representation for Pre-Registration on the IPAD Pro.
That being said. You'd have to re-work the "Guts" of the P series -which is basically a 10 year old production line.
https://www.spar3d.com/news/hardware/le ... folio-now/
That may be a very expensive hurdle. Although a $20k "upgrade" fee or something in the middle might be worth a lot more to existing customers than buying the less stable and non-tilt compensated $22k and $73k versions....or going out and buying a brand NEW model P-series -if or when they update that production line sooner or later.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

jezlong wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:21 am also Paul this is great news for BLK users as if indeed the field 360 app brings the entire scan over to the tablet this theoretically means that the job can be transferred from the table in the office and thus cuts out the time consuming wifi download issues the blk has ( i.e no more slow downloads and battery changing!.)
Post amended
Last edited by pburrows145 on Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

gsisman wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:23 pm
pburrows145 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:51 am
winslowkr wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:25 pm Makes our investment in P series scanners look even worse every day.... It's hard to see these kinds of updates not be applied to pro level scanners.
I tend to agree with Phil. Ensure you have the right product for your needs.

There was never really a plan to offer tablet support for the ScanStation Series, and it's pretty safe to say the ScanStation is an awesome beast of a scanner... I'd be more than happy with one for a whole variety of surveying tasks.

On the flip-side there is no survey workflow on an RTC360... so, swings and roundabouts...

As Phil states we have 3 different levels of scanners (and a sub-selection within the P-series 30/40/50), all of which have a place within a surveyors tool-set.

Regardless, I will ask the question about ScanStation support within Cyclone FIELD 360.
The Field 360 App really does not interfere with the software selling goals of Leica. You certainly still need to do more Cross tie C2C registrations to tighten up your scans beyond the allowed one link per branch in Field 360, but it speeds up the initial workflow for Registration. But without the VIS you probably wouldn't be able to get close enough for the tight Cloud to cloud- UNLESS you could incorporate transferring the scanned TARGET position (and the Dense target scanning ability of the P-series) in the Field 360 workflow, which would also allow minimal transfer of each cloud representation for Pre-Registration on the IPAD Pro.
That being said. You'd have to re-work the "Guts" of the P series -which is basically a 10 year old production line.
https://www.spar3d.com/news/hardware/le ... folio-now/
That may be a very expensive hurdle. Although a $20k "upgrade" fee or something in the middle might be worth a lot more to existing customers than buying the less stable and non-tilt compensated $22k and $73k versions....or going out and buying a brand NEW model P-series -if or when they update that production line sooner or later.
I doubt there would not be any re-working of the guts which are actually only from 2015 (over 85% new internals compared to P20/C10)... IF (and it's a BIG if) we added Cyclone FIELD 360 support, I imagine we would do as we will with the BLK360 and download the entire dataset to the iPad.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

pburrows145 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:03 pm
jezlong wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:21 am also Paul this is great news for BLK users as if indeed the field 360 app brings the entire scan over to the tablet this theoretically means that the job can be transferred from the table in the office and thus cuts out the time consuming wifi download issues the blk has ( i.e no more slow downloads and battery changing!.)
That is true. There would be a cable download from the tablet to the PC... thus eliminating some of the constraints of wifi

You need a Lic/subsription of Register or Reg360 to enable Cyclone FIELD 360 via our Cyclone CLOUD platform.
There's a cable download process already with the BLK360 and the iPAD- (Using Recap Pro Mobile- once the BLK has transferred its entire cloud to the iPAD through ReCAP Pro Mobile then transferring to the computer via Lightening cable-to Workstation via ITunes flo-through- very clugey). The process of transferring the entire cloud to the iPAD or the entire clouds to the desktop via WiFi is where the bottleneck is as far as time.
The WiFi speed in the BLK is NOT up to current standards (maybe "B" or at the most "G", but nowhere near N or AC. (Definitely not at the peak capability of the iPAD Pro Wifi Transfer capabilities - AC)

Return to “Leica Geosystems”