I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Scott Nelson
Company Details: Nelson Parametrics Inc
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

cyclone patch question

Post by npara »

Hi,

My company has just purchased a new P40. I'm working with scan data of a building and I'm encountering performance problems when creating patches.

My scanworlds (10) are registered and frozen, then merged in the modelspace. I make a quick slice of approx. 3.5m and then in plan fence a small area and select fit fenced | patch. The issue is takes approx. 3.5 min per patch.

I thought maybe unify would help to reduce the points but I wasn't able to find unify settings that didn't 'blur' my data. I'm thinking maybe there is a modelspace setting, like max points or something that would limit the time required but without sacrificing the fit of the patch?

The number of patches doesn't seem to matter, in total there are over 2000 patches, but even with a new modelspace, the first patch takes just as long.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Rikore
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bruce Yager
Company Details: Rikore Geomatics
Company Position Title: Department Head
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: cyclone patch question

Post by Rikore »

My first question is what are your computer specs? Cyclone can use a lot of resources. With the patch command working look at the computer task manager and check. Second, without doing a slice, try a patch and see if it is the slice creating the issue. I would check the disk space on the drive to see if there is enough space for Cyclone to work in. Also look at the preferences in Cyclone to see what they are set at. If you never changed them, there are a few settings that may help. I have files over 1TB and patches take only a short time. Also try limit box instead of slice although I have never seen a difference in performance between slice and limit boxes.
geomontgomery
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: George Montgomery
Company Details: ECE Design
Company Position Title: Support Manager

Post by geomontgomery »

npara wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:06 pm Hi,

My company has just purchased a new P40. I'm working with scan data of a building and I'm encountering performance problems when creating patches.

My scanworlds (10) are registered and frozen, then merged in the modelspace. I make a quick slice of approx. 3.5m and then in plan fence a small area and select fit fenced | patch. The issue is takes approx. 3.5 min per patch.

I thought maybe unify would help to reduce the points but I wasn't able to find unify settings that didn't 'blur' my data. I'm thinking maybe there is a modelspace setting, like max points or something that would limit the time required but without sacrificing the fit of the patch?

The number of patches doesn't seem to matter, in total there are over 2000 patches, but even with a new modelspace, the first patch takes just as long.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Run a dxdiag and post the results, maybe your processor is under powered. If possible try not to dip below the recommended specifications:
Processor: 3.0 GHz Quad Core w/ Hyper-threading or higher
RAM: 32 GB’s or more 64 bit OS
Hard disk: 500 GB SSD Drive
Large project disk option: RAID 5, 6, or 10 w/ SATA or SAS drives
Display: Nvidia GeForce 680 or ATI 7850 or better, with 2 GB’s memory or more

Just confirming, you experimented with the Unify settings in Tools > Unify Clouds? If you're not happy with the results, you can always refine the "reduce cloud average point spacing" option to allow points to be closer together.

Another thing to try would be to experiment with the LOAD: MAX Points (Millions) setting in Edit > Preferences. Perhaps lowering the value might help you in your case.

Are you trying to patch every single 2D plane in the the model? Is your end goal to make a 3d model of the building? If so, maybe you should look at 3DReshaper's Building Extractorhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH73YqT4yJc

Are you going after a floorplan perhaps? You can slice the model and build polylines from the scan data to generate floorplans with Cloudworx.
npara
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts

Post by npara »

Hi,

Thanks for the info, if I reduce the Load Max Points (millions) value does this mean the patch is averaged over less data, or does it only affect the display of points?

Dxdiag is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5tc6w4zryb1or ... g.txt?dl=0

My system is pretty new, 8700K, 32gb ram, Quadro P2000, 512gb M2 c drive. I will upgrade it to 64gb soon and raid0 a second 512 M2 but I haven't done this yet?

About unify, I had tried a small increment - I forget 3 or 4mm, but it really appeared to 'blur' or soften the vertical features that are of interest in this scan data. The merged modelspace point cloud is approx 1.5 bn points.

Thanks!
geomontgomery
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by geomontgomery »

There's both a load points and display points option for max points. If you play with the LOAD setting, perhaps the patch will be averaged over less data. Are you running V9.3.0 of Cyclone?

Take note of the previous settings (they should be default), then try increasing your computation max points for fitting, and max points.

Try reducing the confidence threshold when fitting objects:
npara
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts

Post by npara »

Hi,

I tried changing the 2 computation settings, by halving their values to .75 and 750 respectively, this had no impact.
I also tried halving the Pce Load and Display setting by halving their values, also no impact. The time to complete a patch remains at 2:48 sec almost exactly.

But I'm wondering, when you change load or display settings, do you need to somehow reload the modelspace to see the impact?

Thanks,
geomontgomery
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by geomontgomery »

My screenshot was incorrect -don't use the "PCE" load and display settings, use the ones right above them.

By default these settings are session based. If you close and reopen, make sure the setting is retained. You can set these settings as a default as well.
npara
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts

Post by npara »

Thanks George,

I've tried all manner of changed settings, down to 10% of defaults. The patch time stubbornly remains the same. Something else is affecting the patch time. Patching seems to use one core only, ram and hd usage are minimal while patching.

Thanks,

Return to “Leica Geosystems”