I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: AJS
Company Details: Nomad
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: No

BLK Data Manager for Andriod & iOS

Post by sudo_ki »

We at Geosight used to have an ipad pro and Re-cap. I don't know how many others use this method for data collection, but we gave up on it rather promptly.

We now take a laptop with us and download each scan as it finishes on site, as this is much faster an efficient.

The problem that we have is that laptops can be rather power hungry and without somewhere to charge it, that problem becomes worse.

Currently there is no Leica application for Andriod or iOS; I have requested this development from Leica and currently only time will tell if anything comes of it.

Are there any other users who would also benefit from from an Andriod or iOS data manager? Perhaps one already exists?
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: BLK Data Manager for Andriod & iOS

Post by pburrows145 »

We now have Cyclone FIELD 360 which runs the RTC360.

I envisage a BLK360 version of the same - but only time will tell.

I also imagine a phone based controller to change simple settings...

Everything is my own speculation and not based on fact.

However, I am sure any other people will draw the same conclusions.

Fingers crossed! :D
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by gsisman »

sudo_ki wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:43 pm We at Geosight used to have an ipad pro and Re-cap. I don't know how many others use this method for data collection, but we gave up on it rather promptly.

We now take a laptop with us and download each scan as it finishes on site, as this is much faster an efficient.

The problem that we have is that laptops can be rather power hungry and without somewhere to charge it, that problem becomes worse.

Currently there is no Leica application for Andriod or iOS; I have requested this development from Leica and currently only time will tell if anything comes of it.

Are there any other users who would also benefit from from an Andriod or iOS data manager? Perhaps one already exists?

How would you download the data onto the Android device say a smartphone? Just curious- on a very large mini SDC card? On iOS it would require then to still download from the iPAD to the processing software location, either by wifi or lightning cable.
That is one of the beauties of the NEW RTC360. You are recording right onto the removable key and then downloading directly into the processing software location-removing one data transfer point from even the P-series scanners
sudo_ki
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: AJS
Company Details: Nomad
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by sudo_ki »

To be honest, we wouldn’t bother with an iOS version, we would rather a version for andriod.

The idea would be that we have an andriod phone, with an sdxc card, which can go up to 128GB in size. Strap it to a battery pack an there you have it; A ‘low powered’ memory card for the BLK and a solution to what I consider to be the worst thing about the BLK.

I can’t imagine it would be that hard to port the data manager to andriod....

This all being said... i wish they would just allow us to use the usb port.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”