Leica RTC360 Reality Capture Solution

Discuss all Leica Geosystems related issues here.
topogeo
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: piercarlo roasio
Company Details: studio roasio
Company Position Title: titolare
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Leica RTC360 Reality Capture Solution

Post by topogeo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:29 am

in Italy, about 48 / 50,000 euros excluding software

Piercarlo

gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by gsisman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:45 pm

topogeo wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:58 pm
I could try a RTC360 in the countryside.
The test findings were made outside.
Countryside area with fields, hedges and trees that hid the few buildings present ..
The VIS behaved almost EXCEPTIONAL.
It pre-registered the scans and placed them almost perfectly even in areas where cloud-to-cloud registration would not be possible (due to the lack of common surfaces between scans).
The removal of moving objects (cars and people) is really excellent: it does not take away everything but about 90% of the disturbances.
The scanning speed is really exceptional: the 56 seconds per scan 6mm / 10mt without photos are REAL .. or better .. you only need to add 3-5 seconds before you can move the scanner.
But there are some problems due to the not perfect set up of Register 360 (it is still in beta phase for the RTC360)
a) management of the images tremendously slow .. With the HDR always active, for each scan the images occupy about 2 gb! : I do not use imagine the management of a job with 100 scans (and therefore with 200 gb of images only) !!. Give up images (which require ONLY ONE MINUTE) for it is a real shame!
It would be useful to be able to acquire images even without HDR (..to have smaller jobs).
b) Even if the VIS already adequately poses the scans .. We have not succeeded in preventing Register 360 from always doing a c2c recording, obtaining totally wrong unions (and therefore losing the VIS pre-alignment that could be sufficient).
Register 360 should have a function (as in Recap) to "skip" the recording and go directly to indexing (finalization) then keeping the pre-alignment of the VIS.
I repeat that Rergister360 is still in beta .. and maybe these probelmei will be solved in short ..
The impression is however really good of the RTC360 ..
Too bad for the problem of the size of the images .. I hope that Leica solves it ..

Piercarlo
Thanks for the update Piercarlo,
The countryside scans with very little common surfaces is very attractive and is good to hear- as that is most of our civil jobs in many areas.
Thinking it's using those HiRes images for some of the Fast accurate cloud to cloud. Image non-use in the BLK360 is also bothersome. We will try some by turning it off using the iPAD Recap app but not the Reg 360 import /BLK data manager apps.

Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:02 am

b) Even if the VIS already adequately poses the scans .. We have not succeeded in preventing Register 360 from always doing a c2c recording, obtaining totally wrong unions (and therefore losing the VIS pre-alignment that could be sufficient).
I think this happens because the data isn't level enough. Are you able to import the data into Cyclone and just hit "register" and then "create scanworld/freeze registration". That should keep the initial registration - would be interesting to see how well that initial registration fits to survey control.

topogeo
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: piercarlo roasio
Company Details: studio roasio
Company Position Title: titolare
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by topogeo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:38 pm

We did the tests with a Leica agent. We can not directly manage the data with our Register 360 because only the new version (1.5) allows to do it .. but it is still in beta ..and not available, even for the tests, to the final user.
It is difficult to decide to buy a product in this way :-)
I'm waiting for the scans to be sent to me in E57 to see them calmly.

Piercarlo

Return to “Leica Geosystems”