James Hall
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James E Hall
Company Details: Dewberry Engineering Inc
Company Position Title: Survey Technician - Cyclone Modeler

Re: Leica RTC360 Reality Capture Solution

Post by James Hall »

I got to check out the RTC360 at HxGN LIVE. I thought is was quick and I liked the Cyclone Field 360 control software. ( It would be nice if it could control the BLK360 and P series scanner too)

Overall a really good system. Light, fast and a better Registration workflow. The double scan to remove noise was also cool. "Auto-noise" reduction is only a minute more per setup. Still under 6 minute for Hi res Scan, HDR and Noise reduction.

The negatives for me was the lack of a dual axis compensator for leveling and no ability to do windowed scans to pick up targets.
VIS (Visual Inertial System) was really cool but needs some light to work.

Not a replacement for the P series, but a nice tool for filling the gap between the BLK360 and the P series.
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by tbwester »

our team took a demo Friday. TL/DR, the camera system works as advertised. It will cut out basically all of the grunt work manually adding cloud constraints.

The only concerning part for me is the entire workflow. Importing, adding constraints, etc... how will it do on 400 scan projects? Will I be able to copy over to cyclone proper from reg 360 without issues? I'm sure that will all get ironed out, but is that 3 months out, or 18 months?
Strider3D
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: James Kennelly
Company Details: Zelus USA
Company Position Title: Research and Development

Post by Strider3D »

I have successfully imported register 360 into Cyclone 9.2 without issues. From there you can carry out your normal workflow as needed. Register 360 will be the future so take some time to put it through its paces and provide feedback to the development team. If you are current with your CCP register 360 is available to you now.
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning

Post by tbwester »

Strider3D wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:59 pm I have successfully imported register 360 into Cyclone 9.2 without issues. From there you can carry out your normal workflow as needed. Register 360 will be the future so take some time to put it through its paces and provide feedback to the development team. If you are current with your CCP register 360 is available to you now.
I think 360 will be fine for dink and dunk projects, but for big ones where we need to do some adjusting and tweaking - i'm a bit worried about the ease of transfer of the process into cyclone regular.
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director

Post by jamesworrell »

tbwester wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:20 pm I think 360 will be fine for dink and dunk projects, but for big ones where we need to do some adjusting and tweaking - i'm a bit worried about the ease of transfer of the process into cyclone regular.
On the brightside, there is the promise of the new *.lgs file format as announced at HxGN. Half the battle is moving this in and out of half a dozen products .. the workflow is intended to be all based on a single file format ..

The other thing I liked about the *.lgs and Register Field app was the geo tag stuff - being able to add a photo to a scan - say a piece of plant - maybe a inside a manhole - and have that link all the way through to even Jetstream Viewer say.
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

On the brightside, there is the promise of the new *.lgs file format as announced at HxGN. Half the battle is moving this in and out of half a dozen products .. the workflow is intended to be all based on a single file format ..
All of our clients want RECAP format. Once upon a time, we could introduce them to point cloud software, but now that you can use the point cloud inside AutoCAD and other Autodesk products, that's all they ask for. There's also the fact that RECAP is a really great free viewer, we used to distribute TruViews, but RECAP seems to have become the de-facto format for our clients.
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director

Post by jamesworrell »

Jetstream is a free viewer too from my understanding ..

And really, clients don't _want_ Recap .. it is a means to an end. What they want is hosted point clouds and a plug-in .. ala Jetstream to Cloudworx in Revit .. or the standalone Jetstream viewer.

They don't really want to download, store and to disseminate massive files .. they want the surveyor to do it ..

Unfortunately Jetstream doesn't have user access control at the site level .. and I doubt a web browser plug-in will ever really compete with native - always feels a little clunky.

Pointerrea are catching up though .. they are working on CAD plug ins ..

Rumour has it Aerometrex are also working on point cloud streaming tech ..

Hopefully whoever gets there first also support meshes!

Point cloud and/or Mesh .. in CAD/Revit etc .. with user access controls .. that is what people _want_ ... my 2c.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

Oatfedgoat wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:36 am I say this with no irony at all, those that know me and how much I use Twitter might not believe it....

Far too many hashtags associated with the RTC360. Please make one and just stick with it.

#MoanyOldGoat
#Doit360 seems to be the main one... :D
topogeo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: piercarlo roasio
Company Details: studio roasio
Company Position Title: titolare
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by topogeo »

I could try a RTC360 in the countryside.
The test findings were made outside.
Countryside area with fields, hedges and trees that hid the few buildings present ..
The VIS behaved almost EXCEPTIONAL.
It pre-registered the scans and placed them almost perfectly even in areas where cloud-to-cloud registration would not be possible (due to the lack of common surfaces between scans).
The removal of moving objects (cars and people) is really excellent: it does not take away everything but about 90% of the disturbances.
The scanning speed is really exceptional: the 56 seconds per scan 6mm / 10mt without photos are REAL .. or better .. you only need to add 3-5 seconds before you can move the scanner.
But there are some problems due to the not perfect set up of Register 360 (it is still in beta phase for the RTC360)
a) management of the images tremendously slow .. With the HDR always active, for each scan the images occupy about 2 gb! : I do not use imagine the management of a job with 100 scans (and therefore with 200 gb of images only) !!. Give up images (which require ONLY ONE MINUTE) for it is a real shame!
It would be useful to be able to acquire images even without HDR (..to have smaller jobs).
b) Even if the VIS already adequately poses the scans .. We have not succeeded in preventing Register 360 from always doing a c2c recording, obtaining totally wrong unions (and therefore losing the VIS pre-alignment that could be sufficient).
Register 360 should have a function (as in Recap) to "skip" the recording and go directly to indexing (finalization) then keeping the pre-alignment of the VIS.
I repeat that Rergister360 is still in beta .. and maybe these probelmei will be solved in short ..
The impression is however really good of the RTC360 ..
Too bad for the problem of the size of the images .. I hope that Leica solves it ..

Piercarlo
LPaulCook
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: L Paul Cook
Company Details: Land surveyor doing LiDAR

Post by LPaulCook »

What's the price for a complete package? Approximately...
L. Paul Cook, PLS
www.LPC3D.com

Return to “Leica Geosystems”