Aligntment Scan Data (Faro Focus) and UAV Drone Photogrammety Data

3DVEM, Leica Cyclone Register 360, FARO Scene, LFM Suite, Autodesk ReCAP, Riegl RiScan Pro, Trimble RealWorks, Etc.
Scanto3d
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Scanto3d
Company Details: Scanto3d
Company Position Title: CEO
Linkedin Profile: No

Aligntment Scan Data (Faro Focus) and UAV Drone Photogrammety Data

Post by Scanto3d »

Hello at all!

I have an unusual question.
I have to scan a building which is realy exposed.. the inside i will scan with the Faro scanner (Register in Scene).
for the outside of the buliding i must take a UAV Drone with photogrammetry (Create the pointcloud in agisoft metashape)

Is it possible to combine the two Pointcluds with an alignmet or registration?
Which software and pointcloud-Format would be the best?
Is there already an other working solution for this problem?

Greetings
Emanuele
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Emanuele Ferrari
Company Details: Studio FERRARI
Company Position Title: Titolare
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Aligntment Scan Data (Faro Focus) and UAV Drone Photogrammety Data

Post by Emanuele »

Depending on the result I need, I follow these paths:
- from metashape I export the E57 which I import into Scene; in this way the UAV point cloud is treated as a "scan cloud"
- I import the Scene and Metashape project (E57) into ReCap
In both cases I define the reference system from the start so that the various elaborations are consistent
infrared_sight
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Charles Thomson
Company Details: Correvate - Developers of Vercator
Company Position Title: Chief Product Manager

Post by infrared_sight »

Hello,

There are a few ways to solve this problem. Often the difficulty with data fusion between aerial and terrestrial capture is the change is point density and thus resolution of details captured. This can be challenging for general registration workflows but depends on the nature of the data and whether you want to keep the coordinates relative or in a global system, as mentioned above.
  • You can use a survey control network with known targets in the same system across data sets. This has the advantage of allowing the data sets to stay independent and not have overlapping detail captured, but requires survey expertise. This is possibly the most accurate approach.
  • An option to combine the terrestrial data with UAV data as point clouds is to use registration software that will accept both types, as you mention, and perform cloud-to-cloud registration which is, perhaps, the simpler approach. This would ideally need a reasonable amount of common data in the terrestrial and UAV datasets to go this way. With Vercator cloud we are one way to do this. We can also do the terrestrial registration of the fls data if you wish. If this is of interest we offer a free trial on our website to test it or you can email me ([email protected]) and we can discuss how our service might help.
Charles Thomson, Chief Product Manager

Vercator - fast, automatic point cloud processing:
Registration, Classification, Conversion
Free trial at vercator.com
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

Post by max72 »

Hi,
I mixed in the past interior survey with laser scans and exterior with photogrammetry, or maybe both.
The easiest solution in my experience is to register the scans, and with them create a network of control points to be used in metashape.
Then the extracted points will be in the same frame. import both in the tool you want to use.
With checkerboards it's straightforward, but you can use any solution as long as it's easy to extract the points from the two systems.
Mind with laser scan you have a much higher point density (and detail) than the one you have from photogrammetry.
Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net
Emanuele
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Emanuele Ferrari
Company Details: Studio FERRARI
Company Position Title: Titolare

Post by Emanuele »

In my experience it is convenient to create the point clouds separately and then merge them.
The UAV cloud is much less defined and has a higher noise which could compromise the c2c alignment.
geodezja3d_pl
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Jakub Kałaska
Company Details: Geodezja3D
Company Position Title: owner

Post by geodezja3d_pl »

Latest Metashape version 1.7 can combine laser scans with photos - I mean simultanious registration like in RealityCapture.
Never used it so far.
dcacioppo
I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts
Full Name: David Cacioppo
Company Details: Park Ridge Police Department
Company Position Title: Patrol Officer and Forensic Technician
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by dcacioppo »

i have tried this in the past. Placed three large checkerboard targets on the ground outside the door. Scanned inside with the Faro out the one door to the checkerboard targets. Then flew outside and made sure to capture the checkerboard targets in the UAV. Registered faro data in scene. Created a point cloud from UAV data in Pix4D. Exported both as .e57. Used cloud compare to register the two .e57 point clouds together (just used the checkerboards in each data set as common points). The only problem I had was bringing the combined .e57 back into Scene. Scene did not like the data very much. It was viewable, but I could not process it or make a Project Point Cloud with it.
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

max72 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:10 pm The easiest solution in my experience is to register the scans, and with them create a network of control points to be used in metashape.
That's my preferred method too. Even better if these control points are surveyed independently like infrared_sight suggests.
geodezja3d_pl wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:34 pm Latest Metashape version 1.7 can combine laser scans with photos - I mean simultanious registration like in RealityCapture.
In my opinion the way Agisoft choose to implement this in Metashape 1.7 is almost useless. I really think they should have implemented something like:

A Fast and Robust Framework for Semiautomatic and Automatic Registration of Photographs to 3D Geometry
https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/2629514

so that the lidar data can be used as a fixed constraint for the photogrammetry solve, not just as another set of (low-resolution) images that need to be optimized. I think most of us go to a lot of trouble to make sure our lidar data is very accurately registered and I don't want to just dump that well aligned data in to another optimization process that can modify those registration results.
Jed

Return to “Registration Software”