What is "indexing" in Recap?

3DVEM, Leica Cyclone Register 360, FARO Scene, LFM Suite, Autodesk ReCAP, Riegl RiScan Pro, Trimble RealWorks, Etc.
Darius_bd
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Darius Blackdeer
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Architect

What is "indexing" in Recap?

Post by Darius_bd »

I've been playing a bit with the Leica Register 360 and is an interesting workflow but I dont see it doing what Recap was doing, that is to "index" scans. Does someone knows exactly what is this step in Recap software, when importing new scans and after registering them?
gregorygagnon
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Thomas Gregor
Company Details: GENT
Company Position Title: Mechanical Technical Supervisor
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: What is "indexing" in Recap?

Post by gregorygagnon »

Hi Darius,

According to AutoDesk, Indexing is "The process of structuring a raw scan file so that it can be opened in a CAD product" (https://help.autodesk.com/view/RECAP/20 ... 816B644A48).
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by smacl »

Indexing a point cloud typically involves placing all of the points in an octree or similar spatial structure so that they can be displayed quickly based on your current resolution and searched quickly using various filters.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Scott.Warren »

My guess would be the 'Indexing' is Recap taking all the point data and organizing it in a way it feels best able to manage the data.

A list of point values in arbitrary order might be good for some applications, but not all. So if you sorted your data based on other criteria, like sorting the data into blocks/chunks, you might be able to work with the data more efficiently. if your data is sorted (indexed) into localized chunks/blocks, you can display the data more efficiently by only loading the chunks (index) of data in your view, and not load/sort through 1 big un-sorted (un-indexed) list of point data.

LAS, E57, PTS, PTG, etc, all sort the data differently, some are sorted by individual scan setup, some separated into blocks/chunks, and some are just a wall of unorganized N,E,El (X,Y,Z) data.

Return to “Registration Software”