Scans with Different orientation

3DVEM, Leica Cyclone Register 360, FARO Scene, LFM Suite, Autodesk ReCAP, Riegl RiScan Pro, Trimble RealWorks, Etc.
sravan_cv
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Sravan Kumar Chinthaparthi
Company Details: WIU
Company Position Title: Graduate Assistant
Skype Name: sravan_cv
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Scans with Different orientation

Post by sravan_cv »

Hello All,

My work has nearly 30 sites and at each site I have full 3D point cloud data from two different seasons. In these full 3D scans, I have my plots of 6 inches in diameter on which I am working on. I also have high resolution 3D scans for the region covering these plots. So now that I need to compare the changes in these plots. I need to overlay/register these scans of each site with the scan of that site from previous season.
But unfortunately we didnt not make any references for stitching these windows so that we can compare the plots. Is there a way we could register these windows or can I register these fenced out plots (6 inches diametered) from season 1 onto the season 2, so that I can analyse the volumetric changes. Please suggest me away as I cannot proceed to any of my further analysis without doing this step.

Thank you,
Sravan.
Sharas
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Sharas Bandinskas
Company Details: Freelance
Company Position Title: Freelancer

Re: Scans with Different orientation

Post by Sharas »

Hi Sravan,

identify 3 common features in both scans. It's best to have them far apart and on different planes. Pick a point on each of them and note down the coordinates. Use these coordinates to shift your second scan to the same position (as if you are using survey control). Use CloudCompare to analyze changes. Hope this solves your problem!

Regards,
Sarunas
sravan_cv
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by sravan_cv »

Hello Sarunas,

Thank you for your kind reply. Can you please me any insights on how to change the coordinates please ? I am super new to the LiDAR data processing and having a hard time doing even small works. Please guide me. Thank you in advance.

Sravan.
Sharas
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Sharas »

sravan_cv wrote:Hello Sarunas,

Thank you for your kind reply. Can you please me any insights on how to change the coordinates please ? I am super new to the LiDAR data processing and having a hard time doing even small works. Please guide me. Thank you in advance.

Sravan.
Sravan,

no worries. You came to the right place, this forum and people here are very helpful.

Are you familiar with scan registration procedure? What software do you have access to?

Sarunas
sravan_cv
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by sravan_cv »

I have Leica Cyclone and 3Dreshaper trail version. I also got Cloud compare installed. I am really glad that I found this forum and people here are really helpful and cant imaging my situation without any help.
Sharas
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Sharas »

Ok, so it's pretty easy with Cyclone.

Open Control Space of scan 1. Identify a feature that is visible in scan 1 and scan 2 and you know that it didn't move (corner of a building is a good one). Use pick tool to select a point and then add a registration label (Tools -> Registration -> Add registration Label). This will create a vertex and will assign a name it. Create at least 3 of these vertexes and export with Point ID, X, Y, Z as a .txt file.

Now open the second scan and create the same registration labels. These will act as you reference points. You now have to register your scan 2 to the txt that you previously exported. That's it, both scans are in the same position now.

Regards,
Sarunas
sravan_cv
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by sravan_cv »

Thank you so much for the reply Sarunas, I tried to work in the same way using cloud compare, by using tool of align by pick points. But sadly as my scans are from different seasons on a forested stream bank, I could not find much of the common points and as the orientation was little off from season 1 to season 2, the area which is showing up to scanner from the area of interest also is varying a bit. I tried to get a RMS error of about 0.1 m but still trying to know if there are any better ways possible.
Also some one from 3DReshaper is also vising as we are planning to go ahead with educational licence if that could be effecting in this case. Fingers crossed. :)
Jennifer L.
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Jennifer Clear
Company Details: CRKennedy
Company Position Title: Application Engineer

Post by Jennifer L. »

Hello Sravan,
If it is not possible to pick specific common points between the scans from season 1 and the scans from season 2, an idea is to extract features that should be the same in both.
In 3DReshaper you could extract lines for example, or best planes, and compute the intersections of these lines or planes in order to have the same references in both clouds. Then use these "factice" points to do the alignement with "Best align N points".
In 3DReshaper you could also give a try to "Align axis" if you can point out common axis in both clouds.
If you had an image of you data, it would help to better see the possible solutions.
Jennifer
Jennifer

Return to “Registration Software”