Blood Spatter Targets

Please post any tips or advice you have in general relating to laser scanning either whilst onsite or office based.
donridley
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Donald Ridley
Company Details: Oxford Police Department
Company Position Title: Lieutenant
Linkedin Profile: No

Blood Spatter Targets

Post by donridley »

If this has been presented before I apologize but I have created targets for use in blood spatter trajectory analysis. I used FARO in the document's name but I guess they could be used with any equipment. I'm sharing them here for the community's use.

Document is a MS Word 2010 document.

Hope someone finds it useful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Re: Blood Spatter Targets

Post by 3DForensics »

HI Don,

Thanks for posting this. A while back I used the same targets as you are using and I moved to a regular checkered pattern. I've attached the document I use for the Avery template. I forget the exact code, but it's the one with the 3/4" circles.

Also, I guess this is a good time to announce that we recently had another paper published in the Canadian Society of Forensic Science Journal and I can give the abstract here in case anyone would want to cite this.

Rebecca Lee & Eugene Liscio (2015): The accuracy of laser scanning technology on the determination of bloodstain origin, Canadian Society of Forensic Science Journal, DOI: 10.1080/00085030.2015.1110918

ABSTRACT
Knowledge of the point of origin of bloodstains can aid in determining the sequence of events in a violent crime. The purpose of this paper is to determine the accuracy and reproducibility of point of origin determination for impact bloodstain patterns on six possible surfaces at various angles using the FARO Focus3D laser scanner coupled with FARO Scene software and Forensic Plugin. Ten impact patterns were generated with a custom-built impact rig for each of three sets of distances from the following surfaces: x D right wall, y D left wall, z D floor. Scanning, photography, and processing of data with FARO Scene were then performed. The
average deviations from the true origin for each dimension were x D 3.8 § 3.1 cm, y D 3.3 § 3.5 cm, and z D 7.2 § 6.4 cm. Deviations in all directions except the y differed statistically from the known, but were within accepted ranges in the literature.

Thanks,

Eugene
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
donridley
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Donald Ridley
Company Details: Oxford Police Department
Company Position Title: Lieutenant
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Blood Spatter Targets

Post by donridley »

Thanks Eugene!!!

Return to “Tips & Advice”