Gitzo Tripod

Please post any tips or advice you have in general relating to laser scanning either whilst onsite or office based.
Dave Davey
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Dave Davey
Company Details: Engineering Surveyor
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: No

Gitzo Tripod

Post by Dave Davey »

Hello,

I need to buy a Gitzo tripod that can hold a Leica ScanStation P40 laser scanner. This has to be light weight for internal use but must be able to hold at least 15kg in weight as these are quite heavy.

Can anyone recommend a certain model that best suits my requirements?
dtmcnamara
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: David McNamara
Company Details: Freelance
Company Position Title: Research
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Gitzo Tripod

Post by dtmcnamara »

I use to have a Mountaineer Series 3 that I loved. It would hold a Canon 5d MK3 fitted with a 400mm f2.8 IS ii lens, a Tascam DR-60, a Atamos Shogun w/ battery pack, and a livestream broadcaster all day long with no problems. Total weight on the tripod was around 15kg and was nowhere close to being centered like a scanner and it held up for a long time.

just my 2 cents
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Gitzo Tripod

Post by Scott »

dtmcnamara wrote:I use to have a Mountaineer Series 3 that I loved. It would hold a Canon 5d MK3 fitted with a 400mm f2.8 IS ii lens, a Tascam DR-60, a Atamos Shogun w/ battery pack, and a livestream broadcaster all day long with no problems. Total weight on the tripod was around 15kg and was nowhere close to being centered like a scanner and it held up for a long time. just my 2 cents
http://www.gitzo.us/tripods-mountaineer
The Gitzo Mountaineer Series 2 GT2532 (don't see a series 3) can handle up to 18kg.
I like my Gitzo with a Focus120, but it weighs less than a P40, so I'd go for a heavier Gitzo Systematic Series with a geared column, for your P40. The Mountaineer has a "rapid" (sliding) column that is fine for the Focus' weight, but I would not not want anything heavier without a geared column -used only by the Systematic line. Just my 2 cents.
http://www.gitzo.us/tripods-systematic

Return to “Tips & Advice”