Scan2Bim - Software

Please post any tips or advice you have in general relating to laser scanning either whilst onsite or office based.
charltonjames
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: James Charlton
Company Details: Northumbria University
Company Position Title: Built Environment Visualiser

Scan2Bim - Software

Post by charltonjames »

Hi,

I am interested in using laser scanning software to inform the BIM process. We currently have a Faro Focus which does the job for capturing the 3D data, and use scene to create the pointcloud. What i am interested in, is finding software that can help to;
  • clean the data (get rid of floating points, delete people, etc) as automatically as possible,
    extract the geometry as either a 3D mass, or as a 2D plans and elevations
    visualise the pointcloud to produce either walkthroughs, or virtual reality environments
If you could suggest software that could support any of the above, i'd be grateful. Additionally if you feel there is any software in general we should be using to support any part of the scan2Bim process, from capture/registration to modelling, please let me know.

Regards

James
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Scan2Bim - Software

Post by Matt Young »

I don't know if you will find all of the tools you need in one package, maybe?

Either Scene or Cyclone for cleaning up the data in my opinion.

Some software can automatically extract certain elements from the point cloud in 2D and 3D - ClearEdge springs to mind. For the most part this is a manual process and there are many options here either directly in CAD software like AutoCAD, MicroStation, Revit or Tekla to name a few, or with the aid of plugins from the scanner manufacturers like Cloudworx or similar.

I have always used Pointools for animations but there are more options for this now I believe.

There are so many options available now and I have only named a few above. What is the best option? only trials, demos and experience will determine that for you I think.
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
CPJP
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Christopher Gorvett
Company Details: Philip Price Surveyors Ltd
Company Position Title: Land Surveyor

Post by CPJP »

Hello James/Matt

Sorry to bring up an old post but I am in a simular scenario to the original poster. I was wondering how you got on with your search for your software.

I am a very new user to the world of scanning, currently using cyclone and cloudworx within Autocad, I am a very I am registering/cleaning and producing 2D plans within Autocad but would also like to offer 3D BIM type models for our clients.

I have a friend who we also work for that is very good with Revit and is willing to spend some time with me as an option but I have read comments with problems regarding exporting models into different softwares.

Having spoken to several clients they all use different software Archicad/Autocad/Revit/Sketchup etc and I'am wondering whether there is a software which I can produce useable 3D deliverables across the range of these software?

Many thanks

Chris
LeicaUK_RC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Leica Geosystems part of Hexagon
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Director UK
Skype Name: Phil.H.Marsh
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by LeicaUK_RC »

CPJP wrote:Having spoken to several clients they all use different software Archicad/Autocad/Revit/Sketchup etc and I'am wondering whether there is a software which I can produce useable 3D deliverables across the range of these software?
Hi Chris,

I hope your getting on well with your scanner?

My advice would be speak to your client to see which is their preferred deliverable. If Revit model then it would have to be created in that package or some of the information is lost in translation.

Have you got Jetstream and CloudWorx Revit as well?
Leica Geosystems
M: 07540 201383
E: [email protected]
W: www.leica-geosystems.com
CPJP
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Christopher Gorvett
Company Details: Philip Price Surveyors Ltd
Company Position Title: Land Surveyor

Post by CPJP »

Hi Phil,

Only just seen your reply!
Yeah I am getting on ok thanks, to be honest I have far from had enough time to practice with it! The site work and registration I am quite confident with but I am finding the process of creating the drawings (building) fairly slow at present, thankfully I do see plenty of room for improvement on my part. You get so fast at something once you have been doing it for so long, it may sound bizarre to some here but I sometimes find myself thinking whether I will be-able to reach the speed in this new method. I have managed to get some decent data out but I am still finding my feet with what will be the best/fastest routes for each step.

The majority of my clients use Revit so from what you said that will be the best route for me to work towards.
I only have Cloudworx for AutoCAD without the Jetstream so I will have to tap up my friend for a chat regarding Revit, and see how much help he can give me. From what I have read on various posts I understand Revit works quite well with any plugins with point clouds?

Chris
JoergB
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Joerg Braunes
Company Details: FARO 3D Software
Company Position Title: product manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by JoergB »

Hi,

you should have a look to our PointSense for Revit product! A Revit plugin that gives you all lot of additional features to create objects from a point cloud in Revit:

https://youtu.be/JoktLlfpBOw
http://us.faro3dsoftware.com/CAD/Produc ... _Revit.php

Jörg
Jörg Braunes - Product Manager
------------------------------------------------
FARO Europe GmbH & Co. KG
[email protected]
------------------------------------------------

Return to “Tips & Advice”