I need a few hours of advanced Scene training

Please post any tips or advice you have in general relating to laser scanning either whilst onsite or office based.
colhum1
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Colin Humphreys
Company Details: Warwickshire Police
Company Position Title: Forensic Collision Investigator
Skype Name: col.humphreys
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: I need a few hours of advanced Scene training

Post by colhum1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:27 am

Oatfedgoat wrote:
jcoco3 wrote:Hi Casey,

If you are still having problems, just shoot me an email anytime and I will help in whatever way I can. I don't mind helping out a fellow colleague when they are struggling. I don't see you as competition, and from my perspective your success(and the success of the whole scanning industry)is my best marketing tool :)
What a fantastically refreshing point of view. 8-)
A little off subject....

Casey, Jonathon....
one thing that intrigues me is your proximity / location to each other (and others on this forum) in comparison to us here in the UK, the USA is obviously a vast country.

Looking at Google I figure you guys are 350 / 400 miles apart?
Do your business' generally extend across America or due to your State sizes tend to stick say for instance in your own State...?

Just being nosey... ;)

Colin
"Just leave me alone. I know what I am doing" - Kimi Räikkönen

SouthernSurvey
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Casey Cockrell
Company Details: Land surveying firm in North East Texas
Company Position Title: Owner RPLS
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by SouthernSurvey » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:03 pm

Ha ha, there is no way I am working in Baton Rouge, let alone Shreveport. I am licensed in the State of Texas, and I have done some topographic and construction work in northwest Louisiana, but there really isn't much competition over here even across town. Our biggest competitor is our client who thinks they don't need a survey at all. Or our next biggest competitor is the "status quo", the way we used to do things. There is never a lack of work for people willing to go do it. I have noticed that the open source good will in laser scanning is just as professional as the survey profession. About once a month I will call a "competitor" and ask for better copies on plats or discuss things found in error. Anyway, the more the merrier with scanning though, we can change our clients to our workflow that way.

jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Forte and Tablada
Company Position Title: AMM Division Leader

Post by jcoco3 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Yes! 1000 times what Casey said :lol: I also worked in Texas for about 2 years and I came running back to Baton Rouge. We simply have no time to "compete," the effort is spent educating clients, earning their trust and convincing them that scanning can help them. The clients that I am most successful with are generally the closest. Face to Face interaction is big here. There are others in my area and passing through providing scanning services, but since scanning can cover so many different types of work it is not often that we are in direct competition. I have no problem with my neighbors and the folks passing through, there are plenty of problems to be solved, so that everyone can put food on the table.

Our geographic location is almost irrelevant as it is shadowed out by the massive task of earning acceptance.

KDersch
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Kyle Dersch
Company Details: Matix Technologies
Company Position Title: Engineer
Skype Name: kddersch@matrixti.com

Post by KDersch » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:13 pm

SouthernSurvey wrote:Ha ha, there is no way I am working in Baton Rouge, let alone Shreveport. I am licensed in the State of Texas, and I have done some topographic and construction work in northwest Louisiana, but there really isn't much competition over here even across town. Our biggest competitor is our client who thinks they don't need a survey at all. Or our next biggest competitor is the "status quo", the way we used to do things. There is never a lack of work for people willing to go do it. I have noticed that the open source good will in laser scanning is just as professional as the survey profession. About once a month I will call a "competitor" and ask for better copies on plats or discuss things found in error. Anyway, the more the merrier with scanning though, we can change our clients to our workflow that way.
I hate to revive a dead thread from so long ago - but I was reading up on applying survey control and trying to sort out my current issue.

However, this statement is so true. As soon as we find a client who thinks Engineering should be 2% of the project cost and not closer to 10%, we tend to run the other direction as quickly as possible. (We are consultants who also perform surveying and laser scanning for clients). But, I agree that educating the client is huge and a big part of our job for sales/marketing. Getting them to take the initial step by performing the scan and meeting with them is a good way to get things moving it seems though.

Return to “Tips & Advice”