I need a few hours of advanced Scene training

Please post any tips or advice you have in general relating to laser scanning either whilst onsite or office based.
SouthernSurvey
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Casey Cockrell
Company Details: Land surveying firm in North East Texas
Company Position Title: Owner RPLS
Linkedin Profile: No

I need a few hours of advanced Scene training

Post by SouthernSurvey » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:15 am

Just message me with contact information for advanced Faro Scene training and we can Skype or goto meeting. I have a few problems.

1. I am registering scan data super tight in the cluster, but when I try to adjust the data to state plane using GNSS, my problem is with Autodesk Recap it is as if only certain rows of data are being loaded and indexed. I am not having this problem when I leave the center of origin at 0,0,0. So I don't know if my settings in Scene are conflicting each other by "Forcing by Name" in the workspace and placing scans with the altimeter in the cluster level and blowing things apart?. It seems that I have no idea what is going on.

2. Next I want to download a few .fls files from the webshare and the .fws from the webshare and open up in Scene LT the specific area I am interested in and not the other 80 scans. This is so I can demo to clients who want to do this, I can't do it yet either?

3. I have no idea on how to scan a refinery over the course of two weeks on a survey control network with a control error of 0.05' . Currently I scan as much as I can a day and register that cluster and try to put it on state plane by shooting in some targets with my GNSS (0.10' error). The next day I will try to overlap my previous scan area, and try to update clusters by matching a few corner points, rectangles, etc. I want to have solid returnable control on and offsite, but my registration is trashy when I end my day and start 4 or 5 days later otherwise.

So if anyone knows a trainer for these three specific areas, send me their name, I am so tired of messing with this software since April, I am ready to start making a paycheck. Casey

Andrej
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Andrej
Company Details: Meixner Vermessung and Freelancer
Company Position Title: Project Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: I need a few hours of advanced Scene training

Post by Andrej » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:32 am

Hi Casey,

I only can answer your 1. Point. It seems to me that you have used a coordinate datum which has large numbers. AutoCAD products have problems with large coordinates, the work around is a local coordinate system as an example just cut of the first 3 or 4 numbers so that your scan data so it is closer to 0,0.

Did not understand what you mean with 2.!

Sorry but the same is for the 3. Point. As I understand if you scan and also survey some control per scan or per day that’s how it is done anyway. So what is your question?

Are you talking about 0.05inch or seconds. If it is inch when this is a very good survey control and you should have no problems with using this control to register your scan data.

Are you talking about Sence or general survey / scan practice.

Andrej

SouthernSurvey
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts

Post by SouthernSurvey » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:49 pm

I survey on state plane coordinates, so putting this scan data on state plane coordinates is critical. The webshare options are perfect, Scene is perfect, Realworks is perfect, ReCap is NOT and it is costing me money. I have to deliver my scan data into Recap no other options and sometimes it works perfect and other times it is spaced out. And I don't know if it is the way I am putting my scan data into state plane using loose survey control. (0.10' is a tenth of a US Survey Foot, or 1.2 inches)

The surveyor in me just wants to translate and rotate the sphere centerpoints to three known coordinates and it work, but I think it is calculating all of these "residual errors" and "weighted tensions" and "hierarchy" and "inclinometer"?

The next problem 2 is just trying to download a .fws and a .fls files from Webshare and opening them in Scene LT. I think it is a path problem? I just saved them to my desktop, should I make a folder for them?

And I feel that registering cloud to cloud piecewise is sloppy, why can't we scan around existing control piecewise? Again I think it is the same control issues I am having for Problem 1

ddustin
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: David Dustin
Company Details: FARO Technologies Inc
Company Position Title: Global Dir of PS Product Management

Post by ddustin » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:57 pm

Casey,
You may want to contact Jonathan Coco here on the forum.
Jonathan is located in Baton Rouge.
The downside is you may be competitors so I don't know how keen Jonathan would be about training/helping you.

Have you had any of the Faro training by their Applications Engineers?

Hope this helps,
David
Global Director of Public Safety - Product Management

SouthernSurvey
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts

Post by SouthernSurvey » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:07 pm

I am going to scan 5 more sites tomorrow and I am going to set two 60d nails in the ground and survey them in with the GNSS rover. And then set up a bipod with a 150mm sphere on top and scan it in. The actual scan data is tight to model with in Recap, the webshare data has to be on stateplane, so I will just two step it to two different end users until I can figure a way. I need to call Faro, but I am too busy scanning, catch 22

Dave Andrews
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Dave Andrews
Company Details: R.E. Warner Associates Inc.
Company Position Title: 3d Scanning Coordinator

Post by Dave Andrews » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:29 pm

I sent you an email with some information that may help you.
"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender."
Woody Hayes

Oliver Buerkler
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Oliver Buerkler
Company Details: FARO Europe GmbH + Co. KG
Company Position Title: Senior Product Manager
Skype Name: oliver_buerkler

Post by Oliver Buerkler » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:59 pm

Hi Casey.

I am not sure about ReCap in detail. But if the problem during import are caused by the large state plane coordinates, did you try to import the scans registered in small local coordinates and then apply a transformation in AutoCAD / ReCap to bring the whole point cloud into your state plane system? Maybe that will solve that issue.

Regarding the WebShare question:
SCENE (LT) requires the FWS and FLS files to be in a specific folder structure. Namely the FLS files need to be in a folder called "Scans". This "Scans" folder needs to sit in the same place where the FWS file is. Loading the FWS file should then work smoothly.
If you only want to download and show 1 scan for a quick demo, for the sake of simplicity, I would just drag and drop that FLS file into SCENE (LT).

Best regards,
Oliver Bürkler
Oliver Bürkler
Senior Product Manager
FARO Europe GmbH & Co. KG
oliver.buerkler@faro.com
oliver.buerkler@laserscanningforum.com

Blog: http://oliverbuerkler.wordpress.com
Twitter: FARO_LS_PM

jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Forte and Tablada
Company Position Title: AMM Division Leader

Post by jcoco3 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:10 pm

Hi Casey,

If you are still having problems, just shoot me an email anytime and I will help in whatever way I can. I don't mind helping out a fellow colleague when they are struggling. I don't see you as competition, and from my perspective your success(and the success of the whole scanning industry)is my best marketing tool :)

Oatfedgoat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Matthew McCarter
Company Details: Costain
Company Position Title: BIM Manager

Post by Oatfedgoat » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:07 pm

jcoco3 wrote:Hi Casey,

If you are still having problems, just shoot me an email anytime and I will help in whatever way I can. I don't mind helping out a fellow colleague when they are struggling. I don't see you as competition, and from my perspective your success(and the success of the whole scanning industry)is my best marketing tool :)
What a fantastically refreshing point of view. 8-)

SouthernSurvey
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts

Post by SouthernSurvey » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:12 am

Oliver, I will try it tomorrow! So this is how I did it... I registered all of my scans super tight, o.oo3 etc. Next I took the coordinate I surveyed in and compared it to the onscreen coordinate of the sphere when I right click properties. I did that for two known points and then right clicked scans properties transformation. I entered in the rotation for Z (angles left for some reason?) snap axis... And then I redo the process for xyz to translate and then the scan is registered and placed in real world coordinates! All of the .fls came into recap without distortion or gaps. Ahhhhhh! Scanning everyday now though, so that is nice.

Return to “Tips & Advice”