Webinar:: Using Drones, Laser Scanning and Point Clouds...

Post any articles or web links that directly relate to laser scanning that you feel other users would deem interesting.
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Webinar:: Using Drones, Laser Scanning and Point Clouds...

Post by Scott »

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/topa-3d- ... -paul-tice
GRAPHISOFT Hosts Live Webinar: Using Drones, Laser Scanning and Point Clouds to Create Measured Drawings in your ARCHICAD Model

By using drones and 3D laser scanners to measure the Arizona State Fairgrounds Grandstand Building, a 1938 WPA project built of concrete, steel, and some adobe, a combined Arizona and Oregon-based team slashed the estimated schedule: instead of 15-20 surveyors working for 3 months using traditional methods, they got the job done in four days. Philip Allsopp, Senior Sustainability Scientist and Adjunct Professor with the Julie Ann Wrigley Global Institute of Sustainability at Arizona State University, will present a case study about this groundbreaking use of 3D laser survey and point clouds with ARCHICAD 19.
cont...
and this:
http://www.shoegnome.com/2015/11/18/las ... buildings/
“Halfway through scanning the grandstand, we checked the point cloud files and saw that we had created well over a billion data points. ARCHICAD 19 read that data in about 30 seconds. Creating sections and elevations of the point clouds took no more time than any section or elevation takes in ARCHICAD – it’s a matter of seconds,” Allsopp said. “Having worked with some dedicated point cloud visualization tools, it is the only software I know that is able to handle, read and manipulate such a large data set so fast. Going forward, we will be using ARCHICAD extensively for creating orthographic images and drawings for the HABS parts of this important project,” he added."
(I have my doubts -Scott)

SteveBury
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Bury
Company Details: Bury Associates Limited
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Webinar:: Using Drones, Laser Scanning and Point Clouds.

Post by SteveBury »

I take it what they mean by it taking 3 months to survey "using traditional methods" is that they would give each of the 15-20 surveyors just a 6 inch rule to take all their measurements with and they'd write everything down on parchment using a quill plucked from a swan's wing.

I assume that by "traditional methods" they actually mean using something like a total station and a Disto to carry out the survey. If 1 surveyor and an assistant took any more than 2 weeks using that sort of "traditional" kit to survey that building I'd be surprised.
Either the time savings mentioned for using drones and scanning over other methods is being hugely exaggerated here or I'm lucky enough to employ surveyors who can work around 60 times faster than some others can!

tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Webinar:: Using Drones, Laser Scanning and Point Clouds.

Post by tbwester »

SteveBury wrote: Either the time savings mentioned for using drones and scanning over other methods is being hugely exaggerated here or I'm lucky enough to employ surveyors who can work around 60 times faster than some others can!
a problem as old as time, generally speaking...

Return to “Articles, Webinars & Links”