Cost of a laser scan survey vs traditional survey

Post any articles or web links that directly relate to laser scanning that you feel other users would deem interesting.
Stefanie_H
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Stefanie Hartman
Company Details: CASCO
Company Position Title: architect
Linkedin Profile: No

Cost of a laser scan survey vs traditional survey

Post by Stefanie_H »

I am looking for some articles to reference others data on the cost of laser scan surveys vs traditional surveying for as-built building documentation. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
KDersch
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Kyle Dersch
Company Details: Matix Technologies
Company Position Title: Engineer
Skype Name: [email protected]
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Cost of a laser scan survey vs traditional survey

Post by KDersch »

I would like to see this as well, but I don't know that it's an apples to apples thing. I can survey a few hundred topo points/features in a few hours or scan the same area in the same amount of time and obtain so much more information. Scanning becomes more beneficial with larger areas when the complexity increases or there are challenges with access - such as heights or safety requirements preventing.

That being said, we will still do a traditional survey for some projects - such as greenfields, drainage projects, etc. Anything else in a building or involving mechanical/piping components is budgeted as a scan.
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director

Post by jamesworrell »

The site is one consideration - the deliverables are another.

The world has gone 3D .. CAD is dead. The reality is our clients are doing 3D renders, visualisations, models, VR etc - and there is literally no point producing a CAD version of this that they then model over the top of for their deliverables.

The workflow is scan-to-model now .. pure and simple and people will catch up to this.

There are still plenty of people who take our 3D CAD data (from TS or scan) .. flatten it .. then model it in 3D by reading levels on the paper plan .. * facepalm * .. especially when we captured it via scanning in the first place.

Right now I am doing a CAD extract + DTM etc from scan data .. scan data I acquired a year+ ago - an intersection and 100m+ of road and buildings .. I needed 2 more scans and am doing the survey at "full freight". It was an extra 45 mins in field for what would have been a days pickup with a total station - and maybe 4 hours office work.

Scanning wins pretty much every time .. unless you are after a few dozen measurements that are dead set simple or you need higher precision - and even then we have validated scan captured data with total station and are within mm's (this was a new curtain wall facade at 30 floors or so).

The hardest part is not getting carried away modelling every nuance when looking at walls that aren't straight or lumps in pavement etc.

My 2c. ;-p
MiquelCaptae
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Miquel Estupinya Gaudioso
Company Details: CAPTAE DIGITALIZADO 3D
Company Position Title: DIRECTOR TECNICO

Post by MiquelCaptae »

In my opinion, they are diferent services for diferent needs.
At first the cost will be the right if the needs of the measurement has been covered (not excessively covered).
The optimum choise depends on the information volume, the accuracy and the sigularity of the object of survey.
For example surely you would obtain better results using traditional survey if you would need accurate coordinates of a few specific points with enough distance between them; and contrary, if you would need a lot of geometrical and positional information about surfaces and the objects of an environment would be more optimum the use of a 3D scanning.
HSzwarc
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Hannah Szwarc
Company Details: NavVis
Company Position Title: Account Manager
Skype Name: hannahszw

Post by HSzwarc »

We have observed that several German companies are beginning to question if 3D models or 2D plans are the best way to document or visualise a building. Or, do other methods exist that could work better? People that work on-site (e.g. construction workers, craftsmen, electricians) are often not able to read plans or models. Moreover, plans and models are only a geometric abstraction of a building. Most companies document the as-built status with models and with several hundred pictures. 

In the future, a common use case will be the regular capture of changes to identify discrepancies with the design. Traditional surveying and laser scanning would be extremely expensive. 3D modelling is not needed to compare two as-built statuses. A faster and easier system, such as mobile system is needed and a programm that not only detects changes in point clouds, but also makes it easy to highlight those changes and share them with others.

Return to “Articles, Webinars & Links”