doxel.ai - Artificial Intelligence for Construction Productivity

Post any articles or web links that directly relate to laser scanning that you feel other users would deem interesting.
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren
Linkedin Profile: No

doxel.ai - Artificial Intelligence for Construction Productivity

Post by Jason Warren »

Artificial Intelligence for Construction Productivity
Software that inspects quality and tracks progress so you can react in minutes, not months.

More info at:
https://www.doxel.ai
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner

Re: doxel.ai - Artificial Intelligence for Construction Productivity

Post by jcoco3 »

Oh wow, that's a lot of big promises. Got to wonder how much got twisted up by marketing or if this system really does all what the video says it can. I thought the most interesting part was the "self-directed" robot, but not sure how that works without GPS signal (which it won't have) or a lidar/video based vslam system in which I see neither. Maybe it uses the data it collects from the Faro scanner then migrates towards areas with little data? [Edit: wheel encoders are another option, but doubt dead-reckoning would be sufficient]

Dang, I got to be the skeptic this time :lol:

I recently mounted a Faro scanner on a similar tracked robot, but the automation part is still in the works.
scott.diaz
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Scott Diaz
Company Details: FARO Technologies
Company Position Title: Business Development

Post by scott.diaz »

Mr. Coco, we should get your feedback with Spot/FARO at some point. The automation works very well once you teach it a path. I love that the captured data comes into SCENE with pre-aligned scans due to its known path so that users only need to run cloud2cloud. I think the next step will be to program it for working in both static mode and FAROSwift (mobile). Kipp Ivey on our team is experimenting with this now. We talked about doing a series of short webinars on how this tech is developing. Its going to take time for folks to fully trust a bot to walk a live site without being monitored
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant

Post by jcoco3 »

Would be happy to, and quite jealous of the developers. Like you I have confidence these systems can work and be trustworthy, it just takes a great deal of programming than I am capable of handling even though it doesn't stop me from trying :P Been toiling away with flight controllers and single board Linux computers for years now dragging myself through scripting and coding the entire way. What's truly remarkable is how much of the needed code is just out there for anyone to use, but it still takes a tremendous effort to bring it all together. I can see how the Spot platform could be much more "trustworthy" since it has a much more complicated visual positioning system to keep track of where it is and what might be in its path.

I had completely missed the Spot/Faro development, so thanks for sharing...did a quick search and found this video.

youtu.be/UToRfN7P2X8

"Heel Spot, heel...stay...stay...now fetch my scans!" :lol:
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by TommyMaddox »

I'm not going to say that this specifically 'is a big deal', but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is at the very least a harbinger of 'the big deal' for the future of construction, project management, and scan based project controls.

For a company to offer a fully integrated and heavily automated solution to end users demonstrates that our industry is going to be seeing big changes over the next few years at least in the software and analysis spaces and smaller service providers would do well to pay attention to this and prepare accordingly.

While its true that tech heavy service and construction companies could accomplish the offerings from Doxel over the last couple years by putting together puzzle pieces of hardware and software workflows from different companies, this is a serious development that shouldn't be ignored.
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service

Post by Scott »

jcoco3 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:33 pm "Heel Spot, heel...stay...stay...now fetch my scans!" :lol:
Jonathan & Tommy,
I'm truly bummed by this development ;(
Should I put my FARO-Fido 'down'?
The Back Mirror pups were bad enough...we are doomed ;)
scott.diaz
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Scott Diaz
Company Position Title: Business Development

Spot & FARO progress

Post by scott.diaz »

Yes when we can get to you we should run a real-world test. Did a pretty cool one at Oracle Innovation Lab recently. I think Kipp Ivey will host a webinar soon on what we have learned so far. Will try to get him chiming in here.

Regarding the code, actually we are giving the Spot integration code to clients that own a FARO scanner and leasing Spot. We will also provide a 3D print file for users that want to print a mount for the scanner/Spot. The more exposure this type of technology gets the faster we can push it as a mainstream option. Like Tommy mentioned, this is merely the beginning.

@Scott No need to fear man, we always need smart humans to intervene/verify and at the moment, set it on the proper course.

@Tommy, damn son, Keto working wonders my man! Keep up the good work
kippiv
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Kipp Ivey
Company Position Title: FARO Technologies
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by kippiv »

The results of our integration are fantastic so far. We have had several webinars on the subject with a new one coming in August.

This may be a great topic for a new thread .

Kipp Ivey

Return to “Articles, Webinars & Links”