CES 2017

Post details about exhibitions or conferences that may be of interest to other members. This will help gather support for the industry.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: CES 2017

Post by dhirota »

For those that will not be at the Venetian Hotel in LV on January 4 at 6:30pm PST, I think that will be worth checking into the livestream:

CES OPENING KEYNOTE
Date: January 4, 2017
Time: 6:30pm PST
(Must have CES badge to attend)
Livestream: nvidia.com/ces2017
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
LPaulCook
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: L Paul Cook
Company Details: Land surveyor doing LiDAR

Post by LPaulCook »

Thanks Dennis, I'll be watching Thanks to you. Happy new year!
L. Paul Cook, PLS
www.LPC3D.com
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

Paul

You are the only one that has responded recently, so I figured no one is interested in CES 2017, but decided to post the live CES2017 keynote anyway.

There will be other keynotes at the Venetian, where I'm staying, so if others are interested I can list them as well.

I am not in a position to be detailed overview agent for CES2017, since most of the new technology is not of specific interest to our company and myself. The exhibition is open Thursday 10am PST to 6pm, Friday to Saturday 9am PST to 6pm. Dinners and parties after 6pm until 2am, so there is not much time for reporting unless one is doing it for a living.

Unless there are specific items that LSF people are interested in for me to check out, I will assume that Faro and Leica items, which are of greatest interest to viewers on LSF, will not be exhibited at CES2017. There should be a lot of interest in the new Microsoft Windows 10 updates, which will directly affect all those running Windows 7sp1 with the Mixed Reality/Hololens hardware and software.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
LPaulCook
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: L Paul Cook
Company Details: Land surveyor doing LiDAR

Post by LPaulCook »

Thanks Dennis, I think everyone is still on vacation. I love new technology and would love to see what you are going to see in the next few days.

Enjoy!
Paul
L. Paul Cook, PLS
www.LPC3D.com
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

I am setting in the United Club at LAX with a friend from HNL who is President of one of the banks in HNL headed for his 4th CES in LV. It is interesting to note what he looking for is not directly related to banking, but in other areas associated with banking and personal interest in new technology and how it will affect business in general.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

From LAX to LAS (only 1 hour flight), I had a great conversation with the CTO of one of the CISCO SYSTEMS divisions.

For those that missed the CES Keynote at 6:30pm PST, NVIDIA really had a bunch of announcements. Fortunately, I was in line 90 minutes before it started and got a great seat behind all the VIP's. The guy in line next to me was working on the NVIDIA supercomputer (8 core ARM+512 cores of GPU) which will power the AI for many of the German cars, including NVIDIA partner Audi.

I think the NVIDIA new Shield TV/video + SPOT will add a bunch of new capabilities to office and home systems including location of people in space.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

Today was the first day of CES2017. I visited the 3D printing area with many Chinese vendors from Shenzhen selling a variety of smaller 3D printers for food. Included was a magnetic charger for any wireless equipment.

The most interesting item I saw was in the Markforged booth. I was able to take pictures of it but cannot describe it until tomorrow until they officially announce it.

I will hit the start up level one floor this afternoon and try to finish level two (Tech West at the Sands) tomorrow.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

DAY 1, CES 2017 Exhibition, Open 10am to 6pm

This afternoon I visited the CES2017 Innovative Award room, where I saw the Leica BLK360.
IMG_3628.jpg
This has been a wild time, since I have not left the Venetian Hotel in two days. Today, I just covered the 3D printing only on Level 2 and 5% of Level 1 Hall G with the Korean, Chinese groups from Shenzhen.

Here are the 3 corridors of Virtual Reality booths jammed with people in Sands Hall G Level 1
IMG_3640.jpg
The interesting thing about CES is that you meet a bunch of people because there are so many moving around that you are likely to collide with someone of value in new technology that no one has ever heard of, like the 6 camera spherical AR/VR video system with real time registration(360X180) by guys from Hongkong that attended USC and are now in Shanghai. It looks great for $1,000 vs the Point Grey Ladybug system that sells for $20,000 or the NCTECH iSTAR for $8,000. We hope to be getting a beta unit in April or May, 2017.

Two booths away, I ran into a guy that served at the USAF Weapons Laboratory like I did, but 20 years later. They are developing a 3D scanner for scanning smaller objects like finger prints (3D prints the size of silver dollars), ears, faces at very high resolution for $500. We will be getting one their beta units in April, 2017.

There were also on Level 1 the Korean and Chinese micro drones (less than 6 inches in diameter, my definition) with HD video and controllers selling for $100 to $300. At the end of the show, I am going to check on whether they will be willing to unload their demo units, rather than shipping them back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

Although this was shown on the CES 2017, Level 2 exhibition floor yesterday, I was asked not to announce it until today because of the formal announcement on January 6.

MARKFORGED METAL X
https://markforged.com/
1.IMG_3624.jpg
2.IMG_3622.jpg
3.IMG_3621.jpg
4.IMG_3623.jpg
The METAL X will be available in Q3 2017 and cost US$99K and be able to 3D print initially 303 & 17-4 Stainless steel, 6061 & 7075 Aluminum, Titanium Ti-6Al-4V, A-2 & D-2 Tool Steel, and IN Alloy (Inconel) 625. Please check the web site above for general questions, myself for specific questions or purchase quote requests.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning

Post by tbwester »

Thanks for the updates, can you please share the company name for the 6 camera array, for 1000 dollars?

Thad

Return to “Exhibitions & Conferences”