High detail models losing fidelity in Sketchfab-any workaround to preserve the actual model detail?

3DUserNet, Cintoo, GeoSignum Pointer, Pillr, Pointbox, Pointerra, Pointly, PointSharePlus, Pythagoras, Potree, Vercator, WebShareCloud, Etc.
samikd
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Samik Dutta
Company Details: EGIS-Geoplan
Company Position Title: Dy. Manager
Skype Name: samik.egis
Linkedin Profile: Yes

High detail models losing fidelity in Sketchfab-any workaround to preserve the actual model detail?

Post by samikd »

Hello everyone ,

While trying to import models created in 3Ds Max bearing high level of details and textures, we witnessed that the textures were not loaded and the model lost some fidelity in terms of details like shapes of furniture, the detailing of fixed structures and stonework.

Is there a way to publish highly detailed and textured 3DS Max models in Sketchfab, without losing details ? Any recommendation on an alternate web-based platform would highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance and cheers!
-Samik
Last edited by samikd on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

Re: High detail models losing fidelity in Sketchfab-any workaround to preserve the actual model detail?

Post by max72 »

How big is your model?
What format are you exporting to?
Did you cross check with say meshmixer sr similar?
Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net
samikd
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Samik Dutta
Company Details: EGIS-Geoplan
Company Position Title: Dy. Manager
Skype Name: samik.egis
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: High detail models losing fidelity in Sketchfab-any workaround to preserve the actual model detail?

Post by samikd »

Hello Massimo ,

Thank you very much for the reply.
The model is an architectural building, model size is nearly 1GB and the model contains a polygon count of 4,000,000. OBJ/MTL formats are the ones we are trying to export to.

No we have not viewed the model in Meshmixer or similar. Would that be suitable? Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

Cheers
-Samik
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

Post by max72 »

A cross check with Meshmixer or a similar tool is really useful, before uploading the model.

In theory you should have 3 (or more) files: obj, mtl and the texture(s). Textures are in a single or multiple files, usually jpg.
I usually stay within the free sketchfab limits (50 Mb) when uploading a compressed model (obj+mtl+texture) up to about 1 million points. The texture alone is 10 megabytes or more. I try to squeeze and exploit the size limits using .z format and the highest compression possible.

The 3d model is usually less defined, but you compensate with the texures pumping up the model quality. First thing is to have the texture loaded in sketchfab.

Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net

Return to “Web Based Software”