A Consumer Scanning Device in Home Design

3DUserNet, Cintoo, GeoSignum Pointer, Pillr, Pointbox, Pointerra, Pointly, PointSharePlus, Pythagoras, Potree, Vercator, WebShareCloud, Etc.
jochenstier
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Jochen Stier
Company Details: Geist Software Labs
Company Position Title: Founder
Skype Name: jochen.stier
Linkedin Profile: Yes

A Consumer Scanning Device in Home Design

Post by jochenstier »

I would like to outline a use case for a consumer scanning device combined with the Voxxlr web infrastructure in home design. While the quality of the scan and rendering lacks behind some of the other work outlined here, keep in mind that this was done using only a smartphone and web based software.

youtu.be/vqP5x26x-BQ

The Voxxlr 3D Scanning App running on a Lenovo Phab 2 Pro with integrated Google Tango depth sensing technology was used to map an entire backyard in approximately 10 minutes at 0.5 cm resolution while collecting about 10 million sample points. The resulting point cloud contains a detailed description of dimension, topography and fauna, creating a realistic backdrop upon which to place additional content.

The Voxxlr web interface was used to perform the design by taking measurements and adding content. Accurately scaled models of a pool and other backyard accessories were obtained from the public repository at 3D Warehouse. The final design is available in the Voxxlr editor where you can examine the site from different viewpoints or experiment with your own ideas. Please keep in mind that the site works best using the Google Chrome or Mozilla FireFox browser (the 3D content will show in MS Edge).
Untitled.png
http://www.voxxlr.com/1496841871275

The combination of 3D scan and scale models provides an understanding of the finished backyard that would otherwise be difficult to obtain until all of the items have been installed. Besides the obvious constraints such as the size and placement of the pool, the model also reveals the need for retaining walls, the possible placement of wiring and piping, landscaping constraints, etc.

I have to admit that using a consumer smartphone for this project was cumbersome, especially with Mosquitoes attacking while scanning. I am looking forward to low cost laser scanners which will perform the same task at higher resolution simply by pushing a button.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Web Based Software”