Testing Pix4D and UAV

Euclideon GEOVERSE, SOLIBRI Model Checker, BCF, ScanManager, GreenSpider, GeomaticsCUBE.
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

Testing Pix4D and UAV

Post by max72 »

With a friend (eyedrone.it) we did some test with Pix4D, using an Hexacopter and DGPS to calibrate and verify the results.
The results are very good, and comparing the point cloud with the surveyed points using cloud compare I found a difference in the order of 2-4 centimeters, with the exception of some points on the edges.
To be fair we were on a field with grass and I didn't care so much to get control points in clean areas because I assumed the difference would be much bigger than the possible survey error, but it wasn't the case. Pix4d performed extremely well.

We also digged older pictures and made a rapid test with a Gopro (!!) and a small quadcopter, but had not the possibility to use control points. The results are impressive nonetheless.

The Potree models are available here to check:

http://www.studiodemarchi.net/Potree/ex ... i_laz.html

out of scale gopro:
http://www.studiodemarchi.net/Potree/ex ... Gopro.html

Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Testing Pix4D and UAV

Post by tbwester »

We have done similar tests. At first the results were poor, but as we have refined our workflow they are very very good.

The x/y accuracy is right on, the z can be noisy (comparing to laser scanning).

I think it could replace / speed up a lot of traditional survey work. But for scanning workflows, surveying building roofs could be made much easier in many instances.

Return to “Third Party Software & Plugins”