NavVis IndoorViewer now converts static scans into immersive 360° imagery

Discuss all aspects of NavVis IVION here.
nkindtnavvis
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Nicola Kindt
Company Details: NavVis
Company Position Title: Senior Marketing Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

NavVis IndoorViewer now converts static scans into immersive 360° imagery

Post by nkindtnavvis »

New software feature brings full-functionality of IndoorViewer to structured E57 point cloud files.

NavVis, a leading provider of indoor spatial intelligence technology, can now automatically convert E57 point cloud files into interactive, realistic 360° walkthroughs, following the latest software upgrade to IndoorViewer.

NavVis IndoorViewer is a web-based application that displays realistic digital twins using 360° panoramic images, point clouds and maps generated by 3D scanning devices. Users can move around digital twins of scanned spaces as if they are on site and use the interactive functionality to add, search for and route to geo-tagged information and take accurate measurements.

The intuitive user interface and functionality has made NavVis IndoorViewer a valuable deliverable for laser scanning professionals who want to extend the use of point clouds beyond BIM models and building plans to a wider range of building stakeholders who would also benefit from 3D scan data. This is particularly relevant for stakeholders working on complex projects or properties, such as manufacturing facilities and construction sites, where IndoorViewer enables remote access to the site and is used as a platform for collaboration and exchanging information.

“IndoorViewer was originally developed to display the data captured by our indoor mobile mapping system in a way that is accessible to every user. In recent years, we have seen that making scan data available to every building stakeholder is fulfilling an unmet need. Many of our partners using a NavVis indoor mobile mapping system for conventional scanning projects are offering IndoorViewer as an additional deliverable to increase the number of stakeholders who can make use of this data,” said Felix Reinshagen, NavVis CEO.

“To meet the growing demand for extending the use of valuable 3D scan data, we developed a feature that automatically renders 360° immersive images from structured E57 point cloud files. The latest software release brings the full functionality of IndoorViewer to E57 point cloud files and therefore marks an important step towards our goal of making scan data meaningful for every building stakeholder.”

NavVis IndoorViewer currently supports third party point cloud files in most standard formats. However, a key component of the immersive experience that NavVis IndoorViewer provides is the 360° panoramic images. The new IndoorViewer feature bridges this gap for structured E57 files by automatically rendering 360° immersive imagery from E57 point cloud files. This means data collected by terrestrial laser scanners can now also be used to create realistic, immersive 360° walkthroughs that can be published and shared online without the need to download or install software.

The E57 panorama extractor is available as part of a free software upgrade to IndoorViewer subscribers. For more information visit the NavVis IndoorViewer website here: https://bit.ly/2yaplzf

Visitors to InterGeo 2018 can demo the new NavVis IndoorViewer release as well as the NavVis M6 indoor mobile mapping system by visiting NavVis in Hall 12.1 at booth 12.1D.086.
Renalle
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Renalle Ronny
Company Details: Survey campany
Company Position Title: Worker
Skype Name: -
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: NavVis IndoorViewer now converts static scans into immersive 360° imagery

Post by Renalle »

Hi there.

I can say that your website is really impressive, and your device seems really good.

Can you tell us what you can give in accuracy and cloud noise ?
And my main question is : what about place with more stairs, or with more stuff here and there that can avoid the troley rolling through ? Can it be carried by hand, and put on another near place, and resume is work in progress ?

Regards.
nkindtnavvis
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Nicola Kindt
Company Details: NavVis
Company Position Title: Senior Marketing Manager

Post by nkindtnavvis »

Hello,

Thank you very much for your message & your interest in NavVis technology. Sorry for the slight delay in responding, please see below answers to your questions.

NavVis M6 can reach LOA20 according to USIBS for relative accuracy. In terms of absolute accuracy, LOA20 can be achieved depending on survey control points and loop closures. Additionally, the new NavVis M6 Indoor Mobile Mapping System can significantly increase the absolute accuracy (or equally decrease the drift error) thanks to the improved IMU and the Precision SLAM algorithm- see here for more detail: https://www.navvis.com/company/press-me ... -precision

The point cloud noise depends on various post-processing parameters. I would be happy to arrange a webcall to provide more details. If you are interested, please just send an email to [email protected] and I can arrange this for you.

NavVis M6 is engineered for versatile scanning. What sort of space are you looking to scan? The 6D SLAM technology allows you to move the device in six degrees of freedom, so you can keep scanning on uneven ground, up ramps, down narrow corridors.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Kind regards,

NavVis team
bristerab
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Andrew Brister
Company Details: Small scale scanning
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by bristerab »

I have heard that the system will also import panos from the e57 data. Is there a specific workflow that is required to make this happen? Does the pano need to be embedded into the e57 file to work?

The way I'm envisioning this was to export low-density scans with a high res photo, but if the system converts the low-density scan it will come out looking terrible. Does NavVis have recommendations on how to publish the e57 data to achieve the best results with the system?
pmuren
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Paul Muren
Company Details: Coast 2 Coast Surveys
Company Position Title: 3D Technical Development Lead

Post by pmuren »

@bristerab, the e57 importer automatically generates a panorama photo by sampling the point cloud. As far as I know, there is no simple way to replace the pano with a different image after it is generated. The scan must be structured and colored. Certain hard-to-scan surfaces (water, shiny metal, glass) may appear as totally black pixels in the generated panorama.

One downside of using e57s in IndoorViewer is that they contribute lots of sq ft to the project (even if they fully overlap with existing scans), and the monthly cost of licensing IndoorViewer increases with sq ft. A scan ('dataset') from the NavVis trolley usually covers much more ground than a single tripod scan, so it doesn't cause so much redundant area in IndoorViewer's calculation.
GPavlidis
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Georgios
Company Details: NavVis GmbH
Company Position Title: Solution Manager

Post by GPavlidis »

@pmuren @bristerab

Actually there are two cases:
1. If the panorama is embedded into the e57 file (and fulfill certain requirements), then the importer is using this panorama directly
2. If not, then the importer will generate a panorama by using the point cloud, exactly as @pmuren explained. In this case, the resolution of the panorama depends on the scan resolution.

For those who would like to give a try for free ;) and create an IndoorViewer instance with your existing scanning data, please get started with our cloud solution here: https://www.navvis.com/cloud
pmuren
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by pmuren »

GPavlidis wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:55 pm 1. If the panorama is embedded into the e57 file (and fulfill certain requirements), then the importer is using this panorama directly
Thanks for the info! I didn't know IndoorViewer had this feature.

Do you know of any way to create an e57 with an embedded panorama from a color Faro scan (.fls)?

I was hoping importing/exporting in CloudCompare would do the trick, but its .fls support is broken for me at the moment.

Also, will you please elaborate on the "certain requirements" the e57 must fulfill?
Veit
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Veit Streicher
Company Details: Navvis
Company Position Title: Consultant

Post by Veit »

@pmuren

Hi Paul,
the image captured with the TLS has to be embedded into the e57 already at the initial export. This depends on the device (to capture image) as well the manufacturer software (to support such export functionality)
I use CC as well but never tried such conversion. Which SW you use to export E57 from the device?

Regards
Veit
pmuren
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by pmuren »

@Veit

Thanks for the reply.
I am using FARO Scene to export the e57. As far as I know, Scene cannot embed panoramas in e57 files, but it can export panoramas.

What software do you use to export the e57 with embedded panorama?

If there is no good tool for me, I may be able to write my own using libE57. I am curious to know what the IndoorViewer pano extractor looks for.
Veit
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Veit Streicher
Company Details: Navvis
Company Position Title: Consultant

Post by Veit »

Paul,
Organized Structured E57 files deliver the best image possible. FARO Scene, Trimble RealWorks and Autodesk Recap all have this possibility. However, this does not guarantee the Structured file will also be Organized.
According the tests which has been performed at NavVis, it has been noticed that scanning with Faro scanner and Post Processing with Trimble RealWorks usually lead to Organized Structured E57 files.

Please keep in mind, that our tests did not cover all devices available in the market. And there are usually frequent changes in the processing software by the manufacturers.

Veit

Return to “NavVis IVION”