NavVis VLX - wearable mapping

Discuss all NavVis related products here.
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

Re: NavVis VLX - wearable mapping

Post by max72 »

Thanks.
Your real life tests are terrific..
Impressive how the system fares in situations that formally are not its standard environment.
Thanks again,
Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net
MelihNavvis
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Melih Eren Yabici
Company Details: NavVis
Company Position Title: Business Development
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by MelihNavvis »

Jason Warren wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:02 am Hi Dennis,
Great posts, thank you.
Can you let me know more about the registration process; Is it simply adding a target coordinate file and pressing a button and leaving the computer to do its thing, or does the computer need to be manned during the registration process? Also do you get a detailed registration report too?
Hi Jason,

Melih from NavVis here...To answer your question:

Registering a target to the scanned data point is as simple as adding a target coordinate file and letting computer do its thing. Computer does not need to be manned during the process.

Once a dataset completes processing, control point (target) registration reports are produced (individually per dataset). For each control point in the dataset, errors in all 3 dimensions (X, Y, Z) are printed. In parallel, during processing, another file is created that keeps the global information for each dataset (position and orientation with respect to the origin of target coordinate frame), which is then later used to register (we call them aligning) different datasets together. One command suffices to register any number of datasets.

I see you've also mentioned about joining a demo in September, have you already set that up? if not just let me know :)
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Jason Warren »

Hi,
Thank you for the reply, and no firm dates set yet for the demo in September.
Could you send me a sample report file?
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President

Post by dhirota »

In case you are planning to use a Samsung T7 to record information from your VLX, move it to another location, or process it on your workstation, I decided to check out the read/write speeds since I would like to use the fastest transfer speeds.

Shown below is one of my many red Samsung T7 (If I decide to purchase a T7 at 2TB, might change the color to blue, to differentiate it as 2 TB, black is the original T5 that came with our VLX).

1.T7-07-03-2020 07-00-41 PM.jpg

The spreadsheet below shows the read/write times dependent of the T7 format and allocation as well as the USB port speed. Part of this benchmark's problem might be the size of the data folder transfer of 190 GB and the number of files at almost 300,000, which was a single very large area scanned and processed using a NavVis VLX.

2.SPREAD-SHT-08-18-2020 01-08-05 PM.jpg

Using a smaller number of larger files would probably have increased the read/write speeds, but this Ubuntu folder is a typical data saving and transfer that we might do running our NavVis systems on Ubuntu 18.04 and our workstations. With slower USB port speeds then the USB 3.2 Gen 1 (5Gbps) and USB3.2 Gen 2X2 (20Gbps) found on the ASUS ROG Zenith ii Extreme motherboard, the transfer speeds would be slower.

The Ubuntu (linux) format of Ext4 used as a recorder/transfer platform for our NavVis VLX seems to give a similar transfer speed as the Ex-FAT of the original Samsung formatted T7. I would not waste the time using NTFS, unless you had to use it, since I gave up after 15 minutes with the folder size being tested. The allocation 4096 size generated too many errors when using the Ex-FAT.

Just to clarify the location, this means that the location of the folder was on the desktop and written-from the desktop to the T7. Read-to the folder, means that the information was in a folder on the T7 and read to another folder on the Desktop.

I do not have the time to do additional Samsung T7 testing for a multitude of folder sizes, file type and sizes, port speeds, and formats, so that is the extent of the testing.

Do not believe the Ubuntu folder copy times since you have to use a stop watch to record accurate total times, because of the number of files in the folder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

For my NavVis friends that are running both Ubuntu and Windows:

Just for you, I used my Ryzen 3990X + ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme to run both OS (Ubuntu 18.04 and W10) and the same Samsung T7, so when you see the timings there is more to think about. The orange block represents the T7 running with Ubuntu and the blue block with the same CPU hardware running W10.

The first NTFS line that was disk to disk was copying the folder (with many, many small files including NavVis panos, jpgs, web tiles, and large point cloud files) from a PCIe-4 NVME boot drive to another folder on the same disk (296,853 files). Not sure, and no information about using the Ex-FAT format with W10. From my storage expert friends, they seem to think that Ubuntu/Linux works with storage significantly better than Windows.

08-20-2020 11-04-12 AM.jpg

I do not know if it made a difference, but Samsung has updated software/drivers/firmware for Windows and MacOS, but does not mention Ubuntu or any Linux OS. So I updated the T7 firmware and installed whatever they had in the download (which does not work for T5)

It looks like if you are using Ubuntu with the T7, you might save some time with Ex-FAT format vs Ext4. If you are moving between Ubuntu and Windows like we are, it would depend on your file composition. Running on Windows only, NTFS looks like the answer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

For those that might be interested in the CloudCompare Canupo plugin for point cloud classification, here are some examples of the CC plugin Canupo running on my Ryzen 3990X using a VLX file with targets. I can tell you that this example of running 128 threads does makes a difference in time vs. Dual Xeon at 16 threads. Tweeking the resampling also makes a significant difference in time, the larger minimum distance the faster compute time since there are fewer core points to deal with. This looks like significant manual labor to get the configuration files in a decent shape. It would be handy if there are meter based files available.

1.Screenshot from 2020-08-25 10-32-05.jpg

2.Screenshot from 2020-08-25 09-39-30.jpg

3.VEGE-TIDAL-Screenshot from 2020-08-25 10-39-27.jpg

4.GRAVEL-Screenshot from 2020-08-25 09-45-31.jpg

5.BEDROCK-Screenshot from 2020-08-25 09-57-45.jpg

6.VEGE-SUPER-Screenshot from 2020-08-25 11-41-19.jpg

The Otira files are available from the CC Forum if you look hard.

7.COMP-TIME-08-25-2020 12-20-34 PM.jpg
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
Kolt45
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Marek Koltun
Company Position Title: Salesguy

Post by Kolt45 »

Hey guys - please take a look at a 2-hour scan with VLX that captured almost entire Harvard University's Historic Campus :geek:

youtu.be/LlM4D4OUAwI

https://youtu.be/LlM4D4OUAwI
Last edited by Kolt45 on Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeorgSchroth
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Georg Schroth
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by GeorgSchroth »

wow, this is really amazing and I am sure some of our colleagues from Harvard will jump for joy :)
Thanks Marek!
Kolt45
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Marek Koltun
Company Position Title: Salesguy

Post by Kolt45 »

Happy Friday everyone! Another short video to finish the week strong - this time, a small bridge in rural Maryland scanned by VLX. 15 minute scan walking on the bridge and around its edges on both sides of the creek. Video presents crop and download feature of IndoorViewer :idea:

Have a great weekend!

youtu.be/szyVCVR_xDY
cjmackenzie
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Charles
Company Position Title: Growth Marketing Team Lead

Post by cjmackenzie »

Afternoon everyone, NavVis is hosting a webinar on the 6th of October with Dennis Hirota and F. Scott Reed, Founder and Principal at Prologue on how to deliver value with reality capture. It would be great if you could join us. Click here to save your seat: https://navv.is/304Y7bo

Return to “NavVis”