Best Viewing Software for Clients

3D Studio MAX, 3D Coat, Lightwave, ZBrush, VRMesh, TopoGun, Blender, Rhino, Trimble Sketchup Etc.
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: Vitruvius Ltd
Company Position Title: Lead Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Best Viewing Software for Clients

Post by stutosney »

I would be keen to get peoples thoughts on how they publish they're point clouds to the client and what software their clients are using to view the registered point clouds. Collecting laser scan data is great, but I would like to able to give the client the actual point cloud so they can view it and do what they wish. We are tied to Leica for registering etc and we have used Cyclone Publisher on trial to produce .lgs files for the client, which worked well. But I wondered what other software people are using, particularly as clients don't often want to pay for a piece of software but still want to view the finished scan.

gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Re: Best Viewing Software for Clients

Post by gsisman »

stutosney wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:36 pm
I would be keen to get peoples thoughts on how they publish they're point clouds to the client and what software their clients are using to view the registered point clouds. Collecting laser scan data is great, but I would like to able to give the client the actual point cloud so they can view it and do what they wish. We are tied to Leica for registering etc and we have used Cyclone Publisher on trial to produce .lgs files for the client, which worked well. But I wondered what other software people are using, particularly as clients don't often want to pay for a piece of software but still want to view the finished scan.
You don't have to pay to View an LGS file. The Jetstream viewer is free and there is even a Portable Version that you can load on a memory key WITH the pointcloud in LGS to view it without even having to install the viewer

stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: Vitruvius Ltd
Company Position Title: Lead Surveyor

Post by stutosney »

gsisman wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:42 pm

You don't have to pay to View an LGS file. The Jetstream viewer is free and there is even a Portable Version that you can load on a memory key WITH the pointcloud in LGS to view it without even having to install the viewer
Hi Steve,

Sorry, I meant the Cyclone Publisher license has a fee in order to create the .lgs files. I used Publisher as a trial version but I am unsure whether to pay the cost to get the full license if there are other software out there that people are using to publish there point clouds to clients.

SurveyCat_aus
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Amanda Li
Company Details: CRA Survey
Company Position Title: Graduate Surveyor

Post by SurveyCat_aus »

I will recommend 3D Reshaper View - small program and is free, they accept most of the common formats except .rcp/.rcs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steve_Euclideon
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Steve Amor
Company Details: Euclideon
Company Position Title: Business Dev

Post by Steve_Euclideon »

You can use Euclideon Vault www.euclideon.com/vault to view pointclouds up to billions of TB in size.
The point cloud can be hosted in the cloud, or on your own networks.
Vault license includes the tools to convert into Euclideon .uds format.
Available as Desktop client for Windows, Ubuntu and Mac, or as a WebAssembly browser application (currently only Chrome) by visiting https://earth.vault.euclideon.com/clien ... lient.html (but you'll need a license to login).

You can allocate your customers a time limited login and refer them to the web browser or download the thin client. You can own the licenses - your customer won't need to pay anything.

Perhaps best of all, your clients don't need to (and if fact, can't if you don't want them to) download the point cloud. So, no waiting for download - the Euclideon Vault viewer connects to the hosted model and your customer can instantly see the model.

List price is $600 / year for 1 seat. Not limited to a particular machine, customer or location - as long as only 1 person is viewing a .uds file at a time.There is no limit to how many people can view a model at the same time, other than the hosting limitations / bandwidth etc. In our experience, it's in the ten of thousands....

You can apply for a trial license www.euclideon.com/vault.

GeorgSchroth
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Georg Schroth
Company Details: NavVis
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by GeorgSchroth »

I think it very much depends on what kind of projects you have in mind. Are you rather considering open spaces like bridges, roads, etc. or are you rather working on building related projects?

smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd

Post by smacl »

stutosney wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:36 pm
For an excellent free publishing and viewing solution, I'd have a look at potree, see http://potree.org/ You can use the publisher to convert LAS files that can be published to your web page using an FTP package, or to an Amazon S3 page.

It is also used in a number of commercial packages, an example of publishing here from SCC (blatant self promotion!)

youtu.be/f7iiikXrmBA

and results here sitting on a cheap shared Midphase hosted site http://www.atlas-files.com/potree/potest.html

Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

Almost all our larger clients want the data in RECAP format. Once upon a time it was Pointools.
I've shown a few clients the Jetstream viewer, yet they all ask for RECAP, which is a time consuming bottleneck - even with the publisher Pro license.

GeorgSchroth
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Georg Schroth
Company Details: NavVis

Post by GeorgSchroth »

I would also recommend to use a web based solution since using files or USB sticks is always resulting in loosing track of the data or working on old versions.

At NavVis we have build the download point cloud feature last year such that your clients can get access to just the data they need:

youtu.be/c3gYUmn65fE

There is a free trial at https://www.navvis.com/cloud with sample data from a TLS.

VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by VXGrid »

I have only seen it once shortly, but working webbased everything written into the cloud there is cintoo:
https://cintoo.com/

Return to “Modeling Software”