We dream a magic button for 3-D point cloud processing

3D Studio MAX, 3D Coat, Lightwave, ZBrush, VRMesh, TopoGun, Blender, Rhino, Trimble Sketchup Etc.
Joon
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Sung Joon Ahn
Company Details: CurvSurf
Company Position Title: CEO_CTO
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: We dream a magic button for 3-D point cloud processing

Post by Joon » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:47 am

Region Growing

The shape and the initial parameter values of object surface are determined by the local curvature analysis of a small patch (i.e., initial inlier points) of point cloud. Then, the initial parameter values are refined by ODF (orthogonal distance fitting) to the small patch of point cloud.

Next, based on the current shape parameter values determined by ODF, the region growing method gathers the inlier points. The activity level of region growing is controlled in two orthogonal directions.

The radial expansion controls the thickness of the ROI (region of interest) and the lateral extension the length/width of the ROI.
Region Growing.PNG
Then, the model fitting (ODF) to the current inlier points updates the shape parameter values.

The region growing and the model fitting are being repeated alternately, as long as no break condition is fulfilled.

The break conditions include:
- Rms error of model fitting
- Parameter reliabilities (covariances, correlations)
- Density of inlier points, etc.
3-D point cloud processing by CurvSurf.PNG
The program control parameters include:
- Point measuring accuracy of the input point cloud
- Mean distance between adjacent points
- Size of the point cloud patch
- Degree of the region growing.
parameter_dialog.png

You can test the 3-D point cloud processing of CurvSurf by using a web-browser.
FindSurface for Web - SignIn
FindSurface for Web - Manual

If you like to test the FindSurface for Web yourself, please email to 'info at curvsurf.com' by using your company/university email address.

youtu.be/oKlxI2r2oWU

Joon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joon
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Sung Joon Ahn
Company Details: CurvSurf
Company Position Title: CEO_CTO
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: We dream a magic button for 3-D point cloud processing

Post by Joon » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:41 am

Future Developments (1)
RGB image + point cloud processing

As you may have noticed, in order to extract a geometric object primitive from a point cloud, an appropriate gazing point (interest point) must be selected among the input point cloud. A gazing point can be selected manually by mouse-clicking a screen point or by directing the measuring device onto the object surface.

Now, we will be extracting automatically all probable geometric object primitives from a scene. We utilize that the information of 2-D image and 3-D point cloud are inherently mutually orthogonal, delivering complementary information. 3-D surfaces can be determined by 3-D point cloud processing, of which boundaries can be determined by 2-D image processing.

The RGB image segmentation finds all probable object locations (i.e. gazing points) in a scene. At the same time, the approximate initial sizes of object (i.e. the sizes of individual patch of point cloud) can be determined from the image blobs.

Image + point cloud processing.png
Joon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Modeling Software”