Software for finding repeating items/patterns in point cloud

aurivus|REVIT, 3D Studio MAX, 3D Coat, Lightwave, ZBrush, VRMesh, TopoGun, Blender, Rhino, Trimble Sketchup Etc.
neeravbm
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Neerav Mehta
Company Details: Indoor Intelligence
Company Position Title: CTO
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Software for finding repeating items/patterns in point c

Post by neeravbm »

Thanks, Jed!

Which software do you currently use for segmentation and assigning points to classes? If it's not too inconvenient, would you mind showing me how you do this via screenshare over skype or Google Hangout?

You mentioned that in version 1.0 of the classification platform, you would like to see extremely efficient manual segmentation tools. Do you have any opinion on what kind of tools will be useful to you?
Neerav Mehta
CTO, Indoor Intelligence
Creators of http://scantobim.xyz and http://rep3d.com
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Scott »

jedfrechette wrote:...
So far in this thread research on 3 very different approaches to related, but slightly different problems, has been referred to: Building Parser, ScanNet, and Semantic3D. Noteably, none of the algorithms tested in these papers perform very well, struggling to achieve even 80% accuracy. That's not even close to the level of accuracy you would need in a fully automatic production system. I don't say that as a criticism of the researchers, who are doing really important fundamental work; but simply to acknowledge that there is a long way to go before we have workable 1-click solutions.
In the mean-time, all of us practitioners have datasets, which are getting bigger and bigger, to deliver. To me a useful version 1.0 for a classification platform would have nothing more than extremely efficient manual segmentation tools. We're going to need to fix the classification for 20+ % of the data anyway, so we need to be able to do that efficiently. Any automatic tools, that even barely work would be a bonus at this point.
Since medical imaging got brought up, I would also point out that if you look at many of their classification tools the goal is not to take humans out of the loop it is to help humans work more efficiently. I think that's a good approach. After 4 million years of evolution we've gotten very good at identifying patterns.
Jed,
Excellent post and links. Building Parser, though slow and not especially useful (for me), was the closest to a viewer that combined a segmentation window, a point cloud window, and a on/off layer control box in one place...nice. Check out some of the many DICOM viewers out there -their ability to transform complex 3D objects into fluid 2D orthoviews is pretty cool and informative:https://idoimaging.com
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by jedfrechette »

neeravbm wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 1:12 amWhich software do you currently use for segmentation and assigning points to classes? If it's not too inconvenient, would you mind showing me how you do this via screenshare over skype or Google Hangout?
We use PolyWorks, which is far from an ideal solution for this particular task. I'd be happy to do a video chat to show what we're up against and how we currently try to deal with it.
neeravbm wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 1:12 amYou mentioned that in version 1.0 of the classification platform, you would like to see extremely efficient manual segmentation tools. Do you have any opinion on what kind of tools will be useful to you?
As you may have guessed I've got lot's of opinions. :D It's a little out of date now, but I actually started putting together a user requirements doc a couple years ago with the idea of developing something internally if no commercial developer was going to meet our needs.

At the highest conceptual level, I think 3D texture painting applications like Mari provide a good inspiration for what good manual classification tools and UI could look like. Texture painting apps need to meet similar user requirements. Namely, the user needs to quickly and efficiently apply attribute values to portions of potentially large and complex 3D objects.
Jed
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by gsisman »

jedfrechette wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 9:43 pm
neeravbm wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 1:12 amWhich software do you currently use for segmentation and assigning points to classes? If it's not too inconvenient, would you mind showing me how you do this via screenshare over skype or Google Hangout?
We use PolyWorks, which is far from an ideal solution for this particular task. I'd be happy to do a video chat to show what we're up against and how we currently try to deal with it.
neeravbm wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 1:12 amYou mentioned that in version 1.0 of the classification platform, you would like to see extremely efficient manual segmentation tools. Do you have any opinion on what kind of tools will be useful to you?
As you may have guessed I've got lot's of opinions. :D It's a little out of date now, but I actually started putting together a user requirements doc a couple years ago with the idea of developing something internally if no commercial developer was going to meet our needs.

At the highest conceptual level, I think 3D texture painting applications like Mari provide a good inspiration for what good manual classification tools and UI could look like. Texture painting apps need to meet similar user requirements. Namely, the user needs to quickly and efficiently apply attribute values to portions of potentially large and complex 3D objects.
Pulling this old post out of the dustbin, because we have gotten into scanning pretty quickly over the last 3-4 years. We are constantly looking for options to autoextract for GIS purposes facility management purposes ,etc. within the D.O.T.
Having worked in Leica for years in the late 90's early 2000, I know they have a large defense mapping division with Photo analysis based on the ERDAS/Imagine software.
https://blog.hexagongeospatial.com/brin ... P+Homepage

While working at Leica I had the pleasure of visiting the Carnegie Mellon Robotics lab where they were (in 2001) developing a 3D triangulation tracking camera system from fixed location cameras on campus with encoders, that could pintpoint coordinate location and identified and OUTLINE moving objects (i.e. Large panel truck, small pickup truck, medium human, large human, construction equipment,etc) on the fly.
https://www.ri.cmu.edu/pub_files/pub2/c ... 2000_1.pdf

I would think that 20 years after these developments that there would be an ability to develop a combination of Photo-analysis extraction overlaid with the pointclouds within pointcloud processing software. Running it on EACH Scan Station with it's accompanying Panoramic image should eliminate a lot of errors since the scans mimic the light rays and camera image.
For example, a light pole is in the panorama image. The photo analysis software identifies the lightpole outline when it applies the RGB color to the point and uses the outline similar to a selection polygon to classify that group of pointcloud points as "LIGHTPOLE", repeating this for standard identifiable features (i.e.) SDMH, SSMH, FH, etc. You could even use some manually entered AI to create templates of can examples for different parochial locations.
In Montgomery County Maryland their are only about 6 standard type SD MH's, same for FH's and Lightpoles, etc.
How about it Hexagon, QT Modeler, FARO ?? The solution may come from other non-traditional sources (unfamiliar to surveyors/civil engineers)that we may not think about like the medical field or metrology imaging companies.

Return to “Modeling Software”