Faro's new Hand scanner

THOR3D, Artec3D, ASUS Xtrion, Creaform G0-Scan, DotProduct, FARO Freestyle Noomeo, Mantis Vision, ZEB1, Kinect, DAVID, etc
ddustin
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: David Dustin
Company Details: Dustin Forensics
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Faro's new Hand scanner

Post by ddustin » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:44 pm

science_business wrote: I'm sure the check from Faro is in the mail.
That's funnier than you could possibly know.....
David

3DForensics
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Post by 3DForensics » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:19 am

Here is a quick test.

I scanned a room with the Freestyle and Focus and made a comparison. This is one large Freestyle scan about 5 minutes long or so.

Focus 120 Scan
FocusRooma.jpg
Freestyle Scan
FSRooma.jpg
The Comparison - Keep in mind the way the analysis works. The base scan is the Focus and wherever there is missing data between the two scans (i.e. line of sight), those will contribute to the error so you need to look at the areas where there is greatest overlap and most commonality.
Clipboard01a.jpg
If you look at the histogram off to the side, the majority of points are within 2cm. The areas where I had the greatest errors were on parts of the wall where there was very little texture to track. I lost tracking on this part of the wall on more than one occasion.

Now I wish to try this again with some targets on the wall or possibly do this in smaller pieces registered together to see if I can get an even better result...might have to wait a while before I get to it.

Cheers,

Eugene
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joon
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Sung Joon Ahn
Company Details: CurvSurf Inc.
Company Position Title: CEO_CTO
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Joon » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:18 am

Eugene,

Great job and informative materials!

We can pull a conclusion that mobile handheld scanner is complementary to laser scanner and is suitable to scan outside of an object (e.g. a car) rather than inside (e.g. of a car or room).

What is the voxel resolution, i.e. the distance of the virtual grid? Without this recording trick, the necessary memory size will be increasing ever with the lap time of measurement.

Joon

Oliver Buerkler
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Oliver Buerkler
Company Details: FARO Europe GmbH + Co. KG
Company Position Title: Senior Product Manager
Skype Name: oliver_buerkler

Post by Oliver Buerkler » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:25 am

Great job Eugene!

Maybe some additional points from my side:
By design, the Freestyle3D is most appropriate to scan smaller scenes, single objects or details of large sites which have been captured by other, more efficient large-volume devices (i.e. a Focus3D).
If you want to capture larger areas, my experience shows that the most efficient and accurate way is to scan it in smaller junks with some overlap. This method allows you focus on details and provides smaller junks of data which are more convenient to handle. Registering the sequences in SCENE Process (or full) is very easy and fluent and allows to reduce effects of error propagation and thus provide more control of over-all scene accuracy.

Best regards,
Oliver Bürkler
Oliver Bürkler
Senior Product Manager
FARO Europe GmbH & Co. KG
oliver.buerkler@faro.com
oliver.buerkler@laserscanningforum.com

Blog: http://oliverbuerkler.wordpress.com
Twitter: FARO_LS_PM

mayanic
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Matt
Company Details: not specified
Company Position Title: not specified

Post by mayanic » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:49 am

very very interesting thread
thank you all so much for contributing and spreading your knowledge (clap)

has anyone ever tested the artec devices? how do spider or eva compare to freestyle?
It seems that they are at about the same price?!

hope to hear from you soon

Joon
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Joon » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:50 am

Matt,

We are porting our Windows-based solution to off-line feature extraction from point cloud onto a real-time solution with Android-based tablet. We have obtained already Project Tango tablets, and, other tablets are coming soon. We welcome other manufacturers' tablets too.

The first demonstration video will be posted mid Feb 2015 to the YouTube and GooglePlus page CurvSurf.

Joon

3DForensics
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by 3DForensics » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:07 pm

"What is the voxel resolution, i.e. the distance of the virtual grid? "

I am not sure exactly what you mean but you can practically record points up to 4 m away although I tend to be within 3m usually.

I have experience with both the Artec scanners and although they are excellent scanners in my opinion, they are not intended to scan larger objects

Spider Scanner-objects the size of a basketball or smaller.

Eva Scanner-Objects the size of a person, but not too much larger.

It would take you a very long time to scan something the size of a vehicle with the Eva scanner However, meshing, editing and texturing tools are the best I have seen from Artec!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joon
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Joon » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:12 pm

Eugene,

With 3-D aquisition of a bounded volume, there are two types of scanning practices.

I. One-time shot:
An object point or it's vicinity is probed only once, e.g. by a laser scanner.
The maximum necessary memory space for recording the scene is pre-determined by the angular resolution of the scanner.

II. Continuing shot:
An object point or it's vicinity may be probed multiple times, e.g. by a handheld scanner.
The maximum necessary memory space for recording is un-determined as long as we hold the scanner ON. Imagine that you hold your scanner ON capturing even the same scene. The necessary meory space for recording the scene will be flooding as the time is going.

In order to solve the problem of the case II, we have to resolve the measurement volume into voxels (voxel = volume pixel, and, pixel = picture element) with pre-defined size (resolution). A voxel may have xyz-c representation (descrete coordinates plus vote-counter (weighting)). Of course, a voxel can have an on-off bit-switch instead of a counter. In plain text, a measurement volume is resolved into a descrete size (resolution or grid-distance).

I guess that Freestyle3D records 3-D volume in voxel-format because I see a structural pattern in 3-D recording.

Joon
Sung Joon Ahn, Dr.-Ing.
CEO/CTO
CurvSurf, Inc.
e-Mail: joon.ahn@curvsurf.com
http://www.curvsurf.com
https://www.youtube.com/c/CurvSurf

3DForensics
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by 3DForensics » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:24 pm

OK, now I understand your question, but I do not have an answer. This may be better answered by FARO.

ddustin
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: David Dustin
Company Details: Dustin Forensics
Company Position Title: President

Post by ddustin » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:48 pm

Here are some images of combining scans from an X330 and a Freestyle.
The scans were captured as part of a training session I did last week in Denver, CO.
They were processed in Scene 5.3.

There was not a lot of attention given to scanning the exterior in a very dense manner as it was a class exercise.

The Freestyle was used to capture the interior and 2 capture sessions were done. This scans were registered in the Freestyle App.

Here are the combined scans as well as images of just the merged Freestyle scans.
This device is going to have a significant impact and there are a few cases I have currently, that I will rescan with the FS.

David

Return to “Hand Held Scanners”