I'm Sunita Voleppe, part of the Public Safety team here at FARO. I've been a reader and follower of the Laser Scanning Forum for some time now, and excited to share some news from FARO. Today we announced the release of the FARO ScanPlan. This new handheld mapper gives users the quickly map out a current building and visualize results in real-time.
Some Notable Features:
- Capture 2D floor plans as you walk at a rate of close to 29,000 points/sec
- Document critical details with photographs or annotation and add to the plan
- Visualize the plan in real time on a smartphone (Android or iPhone)
- Map floor plans on multiple floors
- Portable and Lightweight – Hold it with one hand, walk and point to capture
- Includes FARO Zone 2D – Turn the captured floor plan into a complete diagram with symbols, dimensions, text
- Also, compatible with FARO Zone 3D and has the ability to generate 3D walls quickly
Again, really excited to share this info and would expect questions, so I'm going to take a stab at answering some top questions that typically come up upfront in the forum
How far can the scanner reach?
Other specs can be found on the ScanPlan tech sheet at the bottom of this page: FARO ScanPlan for Fast 2D Mapping
Can this work with 3D data?
The ScanPlan is uniquely 2D data capture, but can be merged with 3D data. For example imagine using the ScanPlan to create a quick floor plan of an area and places of high interest have the 3D point cloud laying on top.
How can I see it in action or use it?
It is best to reach out to request a demo. Web demos can be scheduled immediately and on-site demos can be scheduled based on normal factors like location, availability for all parties involved, other parts of our solution demo, etc.
Request a Demo
What is the wait time for the ScanPlan?
We have units in stock to sell (so no wait time!), but it is a limited quantity therefore demand will affect future availability.
What does the data look like?
Attaching some screenshots of what the ScanPlan captures. Note: This is before you even bring it into FARO Zone 2D or FARO Zone 3D where you could use the lines automatically generated, or quickly redraw with the use to snaps and add any symbols you wish to finish.