Buying a scanner for indoor construction sites

Faro FOCUS S350, S150, S70, M70, X30, X130, X130HDR, X330, X330HDR. Leica RTC360, C10, P15, P20, P30, P40, P50, BLK360, HDS6*00, HDS7000,HDS8800, HDS8400. Riegl VZ6000, VZ4000, VZ2000, VZ1000 & VZ400i. Topcon GTL-1000, GLS2200, GLS1500. Trimble X7, X9, X12, SX12, SX10, TX8, TX6, S7 & S9. Z+F IMAGER 5016, 5010X, 5010C, 5006H, 5006EX & PROFILER 9012
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Buying a scanner for indoor construction sites

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

pburrows145 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:45 am
landmeterbeuckx wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:51 am
pburrows145 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:40 am I'm very happy - as anyone who has ever met me will attest to... :D

#WhenItHasToBeBright
Happier than those people who bought these shitty blk's for a scanner :D
The numbers speak for them self - there are a LOT of BLK360's in the world and a lot of customer success stories. Yes we'd like a cable... blah blah... but the data is actually pretty good. It will take on a new lease of life with the update of Cyclone FIELD 360 and direct wifi from the tablet to REG/REG360.
thanks for the update but you are not persuading me Paul ;)

Do you have numbers where it is sitting in the shelf or used as a paper holder against the wind. :D
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x »

Your probably going to have to choose between RTC360 and Faro as they are both pretty good/quick to just plonk down for a decent scan/image, the Z&F is probably better than them / has a flash for darker areas but the price will be massively more! Just see which one has the best work flow for you from field, registration (proper desk based check) then in to your production software.

I have used Faro, GeoSlam and Leica but the P40 with Cyclone Register is the go to bit of kit (yes its heavy and the camera on its slow and not that good, so use external kit) but the speed in the field especially on the wheels its rapid at collecting high quality data. And once you get the hang of Cyclone its easy to auto align projects / find errors from the numbers in the registration then QC it. Scan smart in the field and it all comes together a treat :D

BLK360 - im split, its a brilliant bit of kit for what has fitted in to such a small device etc but its also slow and data aint that great if your comparing it to other larger and more expensive scanners. We had it on a measured building survey with topo.... i had done it all with P40, downloaded data to drive, imported and registered before the data was even off the BLK (yes it did take photos) but i had to level / crank up the telescopic tripod etc so wasnt the fastest of jobs. It also didnt capture some of the roofs or elevations too well that were more than 25m away.

Leica UK have been brilliant for us with support online/phone for scanner and software issues, sorting out the license server when we had a machine issue so we didnt loose any days not having Cyclone mid project etc. Yes i do moan about a few things in Cyclone that take up too much human time exporting etc but the rest of the package/service is excellent. :like: :D

Anyway good luck with your demos - try to do them all on the same building, similar quality settings and desk based registration checks. Check the on going costs, what support you get and your annual calibration times etc.
bobbyf90
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Bobby Fenttiman
Company Details: Private
Company Position Title: Revit operator Trainee
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by bobbyf90 »

Thanks Steve

steves01x wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:14 pm Your probably going to have to choose between RTC360 and Faro as they are both pretty good/quick to just plonk down for a decent scan/image, the Z&F is probably better than them / has a flash for darker areas but the price will be massively more! Just see which one has the best work flow for you from field, registration (proper desk based check) then in to your production software.

I have used Faro, GeoSlam and Leica but the P40 with Cyclone Register is the go to bit of kit (yes its heavy and the camera on its slow and not that good, so use external kit) but the speed in the field especially on the wheels its rapid at collecting high quality data. And once you get the hang of Cyclone its easy to auto align projects / find errors from the numbers in the registration then QC it. Scan smart in the field and it all comes together a treat :D

BLK360 - im split, its a brilliant bit of kit for what has fitted in to such a small device etc but its also slow and data aint that great if your comparing it to other larger and more expensive scanners. We had it on a measured building survey with topo.... i had done it all with P40, downloaded data to drive, imported and registered before the data was even off the BLK (yes it did take photos) but i had to level / crank up the telescopic tripod etc so wasnt the fastest of jobs. It also didnt capture some of the roofs or elevations too well that were more than 25m away.

Leica UK have been brilliant for us with support online/phone for scanner and software issues, sorting out the license server when we had a machine issue so we didnt loose any days not having Cyclone mid project etc. Yes i do moan about a few things in Cyclone that take up too much human time exporting etc but the rest of the package/service is excellent. :like: :D

Anyway good luck with your demos - try to do them all on the same building, similar quality settings and desk based registration checks. Check the on going costs, what support you get and your annual calibration times etc.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

steves01x wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:14 pm
Thanks for your kind words Steve - we do try our very best 8-)
james.mosimann
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: James Mosimann
Company Details: ClearEdge3D
Company Position Title: Regional Sales Manager
Skype Name: [email protected]

Post by james.mosimann »

Bobby,

I work with ClearEdge3D and we create BIM from pointclouds (Z+F, FARO, and Leica) so we see data from all scanners and can usually judge pretty objectively which works best in given conditions. We don't often handle the scanning ourselves so ease of use isn't my field but for data quality, we see it all.

I have often known the Z+F scanners to be a bit heavier than the others...the data produced is top notch and the scanner is very durable but the durability comes with some weight. I have seen some great results from the RTC 360 also, haven't had a chance to use it yet. Registration for this is done with optical tracking and I don't know how reliable it is although the technology is pretty cool and I have seen good results so far. Most of our users are FARO users so we see lots of FARO data as well.

If you would like to chat, just shoot me over an email: [email protected]
James Mosimann
ClearEdge3D
morabitoc
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Chris Morabito
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: Regional Sales Manager

Post by morabitoc »

"Amazing responses thanks guys. I have read and noted every reply, this has been a real eye opener and I now know the best path to take to improve."

Bobby, make sure to have each candidate run onsite demos that take you from scanning to your required end deliverable while at your site. Talk with other references on customer startup and support. What JFamm states is ideally the support coverage we strive for at FARO. In the end, it's about taking care of the customer when they need you. "With the amazing training and customer support that FARO gives (Steven and Duane w/FARO and Nate w/Rithm), I've gotten pretty slick with Scene and the Rithm bolt on app. I will sing its praises all day. "

Return to “Terrestrial Laser Scanners [TLS]”