FARO S120 Calibration & Repair

Faro FOCUS S350, S150, S70, M70, X30, X130, X130HDR, X330, X330HDR. Leica RTC360, C10, P15, P20, P30, P40, P50, BLK360, HDS6*00, HDS7000,HDS8800, HDS8400. Riegl VZ6000, VZ4000, VZ2000, VZ1000 & VZ400i. Topcon GTL-1000, GLS2200, GLS1500. Trimble X7, X9, X12, SX12, SX10, TX8, TX6, S7 & S9. Z+F IMAGER 5016, 5010X, 5010C, 5006H, 5006EX & PROFILER 9012
hairylemon
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Harry Peh
Company Details: Aries Geomatics Pte Ltd
Company Position Title: Project Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

FARO S120 Calibration & Repair

Post by hairylemon »

Hello all!

Just to get an opinion from you guys with regards to the situation below:

A couple of months back, our FARO S120 Laser Scanner failed to power on after a routine battery change while on a job. We sent it in to our local distributor for servicing, and the evaluation was that they had to replace the Optics Assembly of the scanner, which costs a whopping USD$12,000. We are in the midst of deciding if we should go for the repair, but before we do that, we were wondering if repairs in Europe or the US would be cheaper than the above mentioned price? We were wondering why the Optics Assembly could fail suddenly in the middle of a job but i guess we will never know.

Calibration over here is around USD$4,000. We suppose this amount is pretty competitive worldwide?

Thanks all in advance!
Cheers!

Harry Peh
Project Manager

Aries Geomatics Pte Ltd
www.ariesgeomatics.com
cadmium
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Jason Bayer
Company Details: Armistead Mechanical
Company Position Title: Piping Designer

Re: FARO S120 Calibration & Repair

Post by cadmium »

We are in the same position as you, with a 120 that will cost more to fix than its worth. I think a lot of people are having issues with 120's, all around the same time. strange.... Repair and calibration prices from faro are insane.
Oliver Buerkler
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Oliver Buerkler
Company Details: FARO Europe GmbH
Company Position Title: Director of Laser Scanning
Skype Name: oliver_buerkler

Post by Oliver Buerkler »

Hello all.

I know this does not help you with your current frustration, but still:

As a matter of fact, technical components fail. Once that happens after the manufacturer warranty period, this is prone to be very unpleasant - and expensive - for every user.
To ease clients pain, FARO is offering maintenance contracts for all their devices which would cover annual service and re-certification as well as repair as long as not caused by mis-use.

Best regards,
Oliver Bürkler
Oliver Bürkler
Director of Laser Scanning
FARO Europe GmbH
[email protected]
[email protected]

Twitter: FARO_LS_PM
WWilford
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Warren Wilford
Company Details: Berkshire Dimensions
Company Position Title: owner

Post by WWilford »

Harry,

Our S120 was one of the earlier ones and they had a problem with the connections to the battery similar to the known problems of the charger blocks. Fortunately mine was under warranty at the time. I would be curious to know how they determined it was the optics assembly if they were not able to power it up. There was a post on the forum where someone said they were able to get into the boot sequence but I do not recall whether they detailed how it was done. I assume this might allow some diagnostics of the unit.

Oliver,

There was another post a while back about ending the maintenance on the scanners at a certain time. This statement was made by your sales department. If I recall correctly you answered that the maintenance was still available for the S120 but did not address how long into the future it would be. How long will Faro be offering the maintenance contracts for specific scanners? I know that it would be very difficult to asses the useful life in time due to every unit being used in different environments, cared for differently, and varying amounts of usage in a certain amount of time. I would think that a more helpful bit of knowledge for an owner to calculate ROI for your scanners could be the amount of scans or cycles that Faro has tested to. Is any information like this available?

Without knowing the test equipment needed, cost of parts, etc. it appears from the outside to be expensive for calibration and repair. I would assume that some enterprising electronic technician would start offering repair and calibration services at the point where there are more of these units that are too expensive to have Faro fix.
Xpose
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: LOK QIUQUAN
Company Details: Metal Machines Engineering Services
Company Position Title: Asst Engineering Manager

Post by Xpose »

hairylemon wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:50 pm Hello all!

Just to get an opinion from you guys with regards to the situation below:

A couple of months back, our FARO S120 Laser Scanner failed to power on after a routine battery change while on a job. We sent it in to our local distributor for servicing, and the evaluation was that they had to replace the Optics Assembly of the scanner, which costs a whopping USD$12,000. We are in the midst of deciding if we should go for the repair, but before we do that, we were wondering if repairs in Europe or the US would be cheaper than the above mentioned price? We were wondering why the Optics Assembly could fail suddenly in the middle of a job but i guess we will never know.

Calibration over here is around USD$4,000. We suppose this amount is pretty competitive worldwide?

Thanks all in advance!
Calibration or service maintenance agreement used to be reasonably priced at around 3K plus usd before Faro decided to put the scanner into distribution mode. While dealing with Faro Singapore directly, Faro scene was quoted to us by Faro for roughly 4K plus usd, a price which we consider reasonable but months later when it went into distribution mode, distributor quoted us almost 10k usd for Faro scene 5 which is way ridiculous when we had most of the price quoted from Faro directly before for maintenance agreement, accessories to software. Futhermore experience with the distributor’s staff wasn’t pleasant given the amount they had marked up from the previous Faro service maintenance agreement. Most questions asked were replied with the standard answer “we will ask Faro and get back to you” by the engineer. After the 1 year service maintenance agreement with the distributor, our management decided that it is not worth the while to keep paying for the maintenance with substandard support where the distributor can’t even be bothered to call the customer to ask if they are keen on extending the service maintenance agreement. Contrary for the other Faro products that we hold from laser tracker to edgearm and laser line probe, the direct service from Faro was and is still top notch. Our 2 laser trackers and edgearm had been in maintenance direct with Faro since 2009 till now.

Return to “Terrestrial Laser Scanners [TLS]”