money to burn

Faro FOCUS S350, S150, S70, M70, X30, X130, X130HDR, X330, X330HDR. Leica RTC360, C10, P15, P20, P30, P40, P50, BLK360, HDS6*00, HDS7000,HDS8800, HDS8400. Riegl VZ6000, VZ4000, VZ2000, VZ1000 & VZ400i. Topcon GTL-1000, GLS2200, GLS1500. Trimble X7, X9, X12, SX12, SX10, TX8, TX6, S7 & S9. Z+F IMAGER 5016, 5010X, 5010C, 5006H, 5006EX & PROFILER 9012
geek_IM
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Felix Polich
Company Details: Lockheed Martin
Company Position Title: Senior Member Engineering Staff

money to burn

Post by geek_IM »

Hi,

so long story short, I have some dough to spend, quite a lot actually, on anything i want, scanner related.

I have a Faro Focus3D 130, a gitzo carbon fiber tripod and a started set of spheres.

My scans are mostly close quarters interior scans, in a military environment, with the occasional exterior scan.

What would you buy? I'm already in for a BUNCH of spheres. Man am I sick of putting up paper targets.

If you have a second, I'd be very interested in any and all feedback on this.

Peace

Felix
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: money to burn

Post by TommyMaddox »

I seem to remember you doing Navy work mostly in a previous thread. I'd consider a surphaser and a large amount of training on whatever software you end up deciding on, and the hardware. Maybe consider having the standard hardware and software training, and then have someone on the forum come and provide more advanced training on your specific application. I seem to remember lack of advanced training and practice being a significant factor in your last discussion on the forums, so a portion of the $200k would go a long way in that regard. Additionally you can do some higher accuracy scan registration with your laser tracker than you can get with spheres alone. That workflow may be worth considering.
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by jcoco3 »

Hi Felix, sounds like a good problem to have :mrgreen:

Without really knowing your needs, the first thing I would suggest is spending some money on more help(if needed). Other people are just great, you can achieve so much more through collaboration and working together. Basically if you think you are about to be overwhelmed with work, then hire two people. The next expense, assuming you are not just scanning but turning that data into something a bit more useful, would be more powerful computers, servers, and storage for those people to use. The third item that always seems to be an ever growing need is more and more software. Just when I think we have too much, something emerges that becomes a necessity. We are always searching for the best all around software, but it simply does not exist, and the speciality software with limited abilities is often the most crucial for the one good thing it can do. Lastly, more scanning hardware. As your workload increases you will inevitably need more tools for the additional people to use, and more redundancy to your workforce. The scanning hardware is both the begining and the end of the cycle.

Please note, this is just our experience and it may be quite different for others or in another order. Please take it with a grain of salt. Hopefully you will get more input here :P

Edit: I just read Tommy's post and I defintley forgot about trainning...which is another good reason to start thinking about more people first as they can take a very long time to train.
xyzsystems
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: XYZ Systems
Company Details: XYZ Systems
Company Position Title: President

Post by xyzsystems »

multiple computers to ease the workflow
Felix_the_Cat
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Felix

Post by Felix_the_Cat »

Thank you for the replies.

The dough is for "test equipment", has to be hardware. No software unless it is directly related to the hardware and necessary for on site use.

Training is also a no go. But I learn pretty quick and always find organized training too slow, and not thorough enough to justify the cost.

I am looking at the surfphaser.

Are the scans as clean as they appear? I would welcome any input on Focus vs. Surfphaser. Looking at the 105 HSX.

I will be flying across the pond soon with both the scanner and a Faro Ion. Interesting that you should mention that Mr. Maddox, I have to pick up a number of benchmarks and correlate them with the scans, my first go at this.

Any tips would also be greatly appreciated.

Peace

Felix
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x »

I know you have said its a no to software but Leica Cyclone with the new smart align is a processing machine - good field notes showing where you have scanned with any diagram/plan (take a photo of the basic plan at the fire alarm/exit) and load it in, drag the scans to their rough position and start the process. It saves loads of time and doesnt crash anywhere near as much!

Even recently i have been firing Faro scans in to Scene just to export as e57 / colour etc then in to Cyclone as its quicker and im finding better results than Scene with spheres - although the spheres and Scene are a pretty smooth work flow for indoors.

Or get a shot of this to see if it speed your work flow up - http://www.faro.com/en-us/products/3d-d ... r/features
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Matt Young »

Send me the money :) I will buy you a couple of P40 scanners and some software, then show you how to use it all. Just consider that I will keep the left over money ;)
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
Felix_the_Cat
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Felix

Post by Felix_the_Cat »

WOW Steve.

I NEED that. IMMEDIATELY.

Any ideas as to how much one of those beautiful creatures cost?
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x »

Matt Young wrote:Send me the money :) I will buy you a couple of P40 scanners and some software, then show you how to use it all. Just consider that I will keep the left over money ;)
There are still a few jobs that require the Faro although im hoping the BLK will eliminate this as it and P40 with Cyclone would be a rather good field combo!
Felix_the_Cat wrote:WOW Steve.

I NEED that. IMMEDIATELY.

Any ideas as to how much one of those beautiful creatures cost?
No idea, i saw it in an email a few weeks back - if you already have your Faro and like it then that might be the best solution.
clf
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Froehlich
Company Details: Zoller+Froehlich
Company Position Title: Management
Skype Name: chris

Post by clf »

Hello everybody

the 5016 does not Need any paper target nor any spheres. It has an integrated positioning System which is proven Technology from Z+F already being integrated in the 5010x. It registers all scans on the fly as you scan, while waiting for the next scan to finish. Hence you become more productive as you can make use of the waiting time. Targets are supported, but it is not mandatory. It doesn’t need any additional hardware nor restricts you on how to move the scanner around.

Here is a video of how the process works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI85LFmhZl4

So why spend Money on surveying, take the 5010 series or 5016 from Z+F and you Need no Targets at all.
Please contact the Z+F Group (UK, USA, Germany) or one of our dealer worldwide.
You mentioned you might come across the pond. If you happen to come to Germany, make sure to come and visit us!

Christoph

Return to “Terrestrial Laser Scanners [TLS]”