Faro Focus 3D - Temp limits

Leica BLK360, C5, C10, P15, P16, P20, P30, P40, P50, HDS8800, HDS8400, Riegl VZ6000, VZ4000, VZ2000, VZ1000 & VZ400i, Topcon GLS2000S,M&L, GLS1500, etc
dan_mccurdy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel McCurdy
Company Details: Geometria Ltd.
Company Position Title: Technical Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Faro Focus 3D - Temp limits

Post by dan_mccurdy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:27 pm

With the Focus 3D and the Leica 6100, both in Antarctica, we've scanned in -45C with wind chill (air temperature probably about -15C, not sure if the windchill would worry the scanner) and they were both fine - the data was very good (no change from normal temperatures). At these temperatures you get some problems with batteries both holding charge and charging, but these can easily be worked around with chemical heat packs by the intake vents.

We once tried to scan at around -5C with a ScanStation 2 in Wyoming, and the scanner wouldn't start until we warmed it up in a car. After that it was fine.

If we're going somewhere cold, I would only ever take a phase based scanner - pulse based ones are too temperamental in my experience. Obviously turning off the fan is a must :-)

Dan
Dan McCurdy
Geometria Heritage Management
http://geometria.co.nz/

dan_mccurdy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dan_mccurdy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:32 pm

Oh - we also have used the C10 down to around -2C (approx) and we had real problems. Sometimes the laser would have issues and sometimes the camera would freak out - stopping part way through capturing without warning. It behaved like a buggy computer with weird (seemingly) software glitches occurring all the time, which largely went away once it warmed up. The data didn't seem to suffer though on the times that it did complete scanning.

Dan
Dan McCurdy

jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:30 am

dan_mccurdy wrote:If we're going somewhere cold, I would only ever take a phase based scanner - pulse based ones are too temperamental in my experience.
It depends on which one you're using. :-) I've used an Optech down on the Ice regularly in temps around -30 C. One of the few times I wasn't able to get it to run it was probably approaching -40 with sustained winds of 60+ knots.
Jed

dan_mccurdy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dan_mccurdy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:53 am

jedfrechette wrote:I've used an Optech down on the Ice regularly in temps around -30 C
Just out of interest, is it the one that is used for measuring glaciers, with massive range? We were actually thinking of taking one on our second season on the ice, but three scanners would have been too many. I'd love to see one of them in action :-)

Dan
Dan McCurdy

jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:54 pm

dan_mccurdy wrote:Just out of interest, is it the one that is used for measuring glaciers, with massive range?
It wasn't that one, it was the standard ER with a range of ~1.5 km. We were up on Erebus trying to scan through only about 500 m of plume to measure its crater and lava lake under just about the worst conditions you can imagine for lidar.
Jed

Return to “Pulse Based Scanners”