My company wants me to explore future 3D scanners

Faro FOCUS S350, S150, S70, M70, X30, X130, X130HDR, X330, X330HDR. Leica RTC360, C10, P15, P20, P30, P40, P50, BLK360, HDS6*00, HDS7000,HDS8800, HDS8400. Riegl VZ6000, VZ4000, VZ2000, VZ1000 & VZ400i. Topcon GTL-1000, GLS2200, GLS1500. Trimble X7, X9, X12, SX12, SX10, TX8, TX6, S7 & S9. Z+F IMAGER 5016, 5010X, 5010C, 5006H, 5006EX & PROFILER 9012
M.Jasper ST
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Marco Jasper
Company Details: Sitech
Company Position Title: 3D scanning Engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

My company wants me to explore future 3D scanners

Post by M.Jasper ST »

Hey all!

I currently use a Leica RTC 360 for 3D scanning, both in the industry as well as infra and other use cases.

We are probably going to be using it for quite some time, however we are exploring the option of buying an ELIOS 3 drone together with our local fire department so I can occasionally use it to map larger areas.

My boss is now going on a holiday and he asked me to compare our current RTC 360 to other options and make an analysis of possible future investments and other options. However I have only been in the 3D world for 2 months so everything is quite new for me.

I found out about Trimble products, as well as FARO. There are however, tons and tons of options, both mobile scanners, hand scanners, "normal" scanners, drones and even scanners on a boston dynamics robot.

It's going to be a VERY hard process for me to analyse all these different options, especially since most companies provide very limited information about their scanners unless you specifically contact them, asking about the products.

Does anybody have comparisons between different options, detailed information about certain scanners, or maybe know which types of scanners are (not) an option for the industry / infra combination at all?

I think the things that are most interesting are being able to map large areas faster without compromising the quality of the scans.

I'm trying to make the document in about 1 week, because I have no scanning work next week.

Any help would be appreciated!
ScottErnst
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Scott Ernst
Company Details: Southwest Scanning
Company Position Title: owner

Re: My company wants me to explore future 3D scanners

Post by ScottErnst »

If you scroll to the bottom of the main forum page you can select topics by manufacturer. If you do some reading in there you'll learn a lot about each manufacturer and model. There are plenty of threads that compare the features of different scanners. Good luck, that's a big task for someone who's new to the field.
VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development

Post by VXGrid »

I can only recommend to not only look at the scanners (I mean there are tons out there), but on the software as well, since most scanner manufacturers will try to lock you in their eco system.
In the end you might buy the best and fastest scanner in the field (the new ones are all pretty similar, given the same price range), but analysing and examining the results might be laborious, their software might be a necessity and since it is necessary - it might be expensive, or get expensive (subscriptions).

Since you are using a Leica Scanner, I recon you are using Register360 or Cyclone, which can for example digest the older FARO Focus raw scans, but not the new FARO Focus Premium raw data, so you'll need FARO Scene in addition.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

VXGrid wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:17 am I can only recommend to not only look at the scanners (I mean there are tons out there), but on the software as well, since most scanner manufacturers will try to lock you in their eco system.
In the end you might buy the best and fastest scanner in the field (the new ones are all pretty similar, given the same price range), but analysing and examining the results might be laborious, their software might be a necessity and since it is necessary - it might be expensive, or get expensive (subscriptions).

Since you are using a Leica Scanner, I recon you are using Register360 or Cyclone, which can for example digest the older FARO Focus raw scans, but not the new FARO Focus Premium raw data, so you'll need FARO Scene in addition.
So is it impossible to register the latest faro scans in Pointcab now because of that?
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
dmanning
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Dustin Manning
Company Details: luxpoint
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by dmanning »

What are you goals? Do you want to scan faster? Do you need aerial or mobile? What problem are you trying to solve? You can compare software and scanners all day (and trust me I do 😆) but you need to ask the right question.

Return to “Terrestrial Laser Scanners [TLS]”