First time using BLK360

Faro FOCUS S350, S150, S70, M70, X30, X130, X130HDR, X330, X330HDR. Leica RTC360, C10, P15, P20, P30, P40, P50, BLK360, HDS6*00, HDS7000,HDS8800, HDS8400. Riegl VZ6000, VZ4000, VZ2000, VZ1000 & VZ400i. Topcon GTL-1000, GLS2200, GLS1500. Trimble X7, X9, X12, SX12, SX10, TX8, TX6, S7 & S9. Z+F IMAGER 5016, 5010X, 5010C, 5006H, 5006EX & PROFILER 9012
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Re: First time using BLK360

Post by Jamesrye »

I'm not doing huge projects, more like a couple of dozen scans in a day
I did 70 scans in 5.5hrs on site. It's taken me about the same time to register the data. If I use the BLK scanner again, then I'll get an adapter to use it with a proper tripod. Now the RTC360 has come along, I'd only use a BLK as a last resort (or if space were super restricted).
designmule
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Matt McDonald
Company Details: BRR Architecture
Company Position Title: Associate
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by designmule »

ScottErnst wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:56 pm One time I had some out of level scans but it turned out to be an issue with R360, not the scanner.
Sorry to derail the thread but do you mind elaborating on your issue with Register 360? We run a BLK and Register360 and have experienced some issues with scans not being leveled.
ScottErnst
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Scott Ernst
Company Details: Southwest Scanning
Company Position Title: owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by ScottErnst »

That only happened to me once and it was when I was in the middle of a steep learning curve where there were lots of other issues and I can't remember exactly what the solution was. I think it was an out of date firmware. I might have also just have started over with a fresh version of the project.
jezlong
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: jeremy longyear
Company Details: RPS
Company Position Title: RPS
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by jezlong »

Brett wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:02 pm Cable is never going to happen. Nor is a powered battery unit (a battery shell with permanent power supply).

We need a third party to develop one. I reckon every single BLK owner would buy one!
COULD NOT AGREE MORE! although a cable would power it at same time as it must when they are servicing the thing as the battery is in the way of port I think! Anyone tried a cable?
narwar
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jörg Peczkowski
Company Details: Vermessungsbüro Peczkowski
Company Position Title: Geschäftsführer

Post by narwar »

Hi,

I have the following problem with the BLK360. I wanted it to play the new firmware 1.2.1 on the BLK360 on Tuesday.
During the update, he hanged himself and since then continuously blinking yellow.
A new update I can not start because he says BLK360 that the battery is below 50%, even though it is 100%.
Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks

Regards Jörg
zuberio
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Omar Zuberi
Company Details: EllisDon
Company Position Title: VDC Manager-GTA and Southwestern Ontario

Post by zuberio »

Brett wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:02 pm Cable is never going to happen. Nor is a powered battery unit (a battery shell with permanent power supply).

We need a third party to develop one. I reckon every single BLK owner would buy one!
I built 2 powered battery units for my group's BLK360s. Considering the amount of scanning we did with them it really saved the field team a lot of frustration from having to wake up every 2 hours to swap a @#$@$ battery. I used an eBay DC-DC step down converter with an old laptop power brick + a 3D printed BLK battery shell in order to make things happen. One caveat is that you need to use v1.4.1 of the BLK360 data manager and immediately start downloading a file before the data manager checks the battery state. You'll notice I do this in the below video - just do it off the bat and cancel, this side-steps the battery state check in this version of the data manager.

Here's a video I made demonstrating the hardware hack.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1izUKU ... S4fIazzlLA

We've since traded in our BLKs for an RTC. Thus, I have the 2 powered battery units available if anyone is interested.
Brett
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Brett D
Company Details: Omega Geomatics
Company Position Title: Director

Post by Brett »

Hi Omar, I've sent you a message
Sent from my Sinclair ZX Spectrum+ using tapatalk
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

Jamesrye wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:54 pm I have survey control points and C10 scans to register to, so I can get a sensible output with the BLK data. What's weird is that some scans are level(ish) and an inverted scan that I carried out has been oriented correctly, but some scans are at crazy angles. This means that the registration has to be done by picking three common points - if you were to use the visual registration method, the scans wouldn't register correctly. It's a shame that the visual registration doesn't allow you to rotate the scans to level them up :lol:

Help desk advised that there's an inclinometer in the BLK that should correct the data, but only if the tripod is "roughly level" does anyone have any specs on the accuracy of the inclinometer?

Whilst using RECAP allowed me to get the scans into Cyclone quickly, the actual registration is useless! It looks OK at first glance, but when you slice it, there are all manner of problems. Fortunately, Cyclone Classic can be used to correct the problems.
James, this non-vertical rotation is either an oversight or a planned progression in IMHO. It has been noted and forwarded to both Andrea in NA support and the programmers in San Ramon, CA. The visual registration on Cyclone Field 360 (Leica's new iPAD app made to partner with the RTC360) mirrors the visual registration on Reg 360 with one huge exception - it DOES rotate vertically to register the scans visually which then allows you to correct those wonky tilt issues that arise regularly with the BLK and less regularly with the RTC (we rented one for an intense month of various scanning projects).
That being said, CycloneField 360, I hear through the grapevine, is supposed to be connectable to the BLK360 within this year? That will completely eliminate the simplified and more frustrating RecAP mobile field solution.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by gsisman »

narwar wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:18 am Hi,

I have the following problem with the BLK360. I wanted it to play the new firmware 1.2.1 on the BLK360 on Tuesday.
During the update, he hanged himself and since then continuously blinking yellow.
A new update I can not start because he says BLK360 that the battery is below 50%, even though it is 100%.
Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks

Regards Jörg
Jorg

Did you ever get this resolved? The BLK360 app is able to download the new software and update it while connected to the BLK.
BLK360 app.jpg
This is how I solved a similar problem with the second FW update last January
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by gsisman »

zuberio wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:04 pm

I built 2 powered battery units for my group's BLK360s. Considering the amount of scanning we did with them it really saved the field team a lot of frustration from having to wake up every 2 hours to swap a @#$@$ battery. I used an eBay DC-DC step down converter with an old laptop power brick + a 3D printed BLK battery shell in order to make things happen. One caveat is that you need to use v1.4.1 of the BLK360 data manager and immediately start downloading a file before the data manager checks the battery state. You'll notice I do this in the below video - just do it off the bat and cancel, this side-steps the battery state check in this version of the data manager.

Here's a video I made demonstrating the hardware hack.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1izUKU ... S4fIazzlLA

We've since traded in our BLKs for an RTC. Thus, I have the 2 powered battery units available if anyone is interested.

Omar
Just saw this post this morning. Sent you a PM

Return to “Terrestrial Laser Scanners [TLS]”