P40 reflections from windows

Leica BLK360, C5, C10, P15, P16, P20, P30, P40, P50, HDS8800, HDS8400, Riegl VZ6000, VZ4000, VZ2000, VZ1000 & VZ400i, Topcon GLS2000S,M&L, GLS1500, etc
sauler
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Silver Aule
Company Details: EXACT
Company Position Title: Geodesist
Skype Name: silver.aule
Linkedin Profile: Yes

P40 reflections from windows

Post by sauler » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:22 am

Hi,

I am sure, P40 users can agree, that this might be the best scanner available at the moment (regarding scanning time and cloud quality). Although reflections from the windows are getting quite annoying to clean from the cloud. Basically it reflects back from all windows and especially newer ones, with thicker glass.

P20 does not have this issue and it is probably due to the upgrade of the laser beam on P40? I can see from datasheet, that wavelenght specifications have changed and was wondering, if this ise the case?

Any further information would be great!

m2ekas
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Erkki Maekivi
Company Details: Exact
Company Position Title: Project Manager

Re: P40 reflections from windows

Post by m2ekas » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:23 am

As 1 picture will say more than 1000 words
1.png
Does anyone know a better workflow than manual cleaning to get rid of that noise on the other side of the window?

It seems "Remove Intensity Overloaded Pixels" setting in Cyclone should eliminate the problem, but I can't see any benefit of using it. The data is still noisy. Is there a way to change the values of this setting to make Cyclone filtering more effective?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

xyzsystems
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: XYZ Systems
Company Details: XYZ Systems
Company Position Title: President

Post by xyzsystems » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:06 pm

i know this might not help you much but we cover windows and mirrors when scanning...
otherwise i go through the arduous process of editing the scanworld directly :?

Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:55 am

I had this exact same issue on a recent project inside an airport. Worse still was that where data 'looked OK' where it had been scanned through glass, it was actually refracted out of position. It became apparent that there was a problem when I checked the registration. Every scan had to be very carefully edited so that any points that had been observed through glass were deleted.

In that screenshot that you posted, I can imagine that a useful function inside Cyclone might be to be able to pick by intensity greater than 'x' or pick by intensity less than 'x'.

In fact, what I'd love is a way to pick by RGB value. This is because I accidentally unified 200 scans, but one scan was not colourised. Obviously, once unified, there's no way to extract the green points. Most frustrating as I had to delete the unified cloud, recolourise and then re-unify again.

tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: WeWork
Company Position Title: Head of Reality Capture

Post by tbwester » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:41 pm

its best practice to clean every scan world before registration. ;)

EVERY scanner does this. p20,p40,x330,x120,etc.etc.

Matt Young
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Matt Young » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:29 pm

It's not practical to clean the data manually when processing as many as ten projects a week. I tend to leave this noise and work around it if possible. If the data is a bit special then I might do it.

tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: WeWork
Company Position Title: Head of Reality Capture

Post by tbwester » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:35 pm

Matt Young wrote:It's not practical to clean the data manually when processing as many as ten projects a week. I tend to leave this noise and work around it if possible. If the data is a bit special then I might do it.
That is advanced workflow matt :)

Lot of variables, but if given the chance, better to clean from each scan world as a rule.

Matt Young
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Matt Young » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:25 am

As we use the scanners for almost everything now, we don't often get the luxury of cleaning the data. I have done it on some projects though.

Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:26 am

On the subject of cleaning (something that has taken way too many hours of my life), has anyone tried the automatic cleaning in RECAP. I keep meaning to get around to checking it out, but several large projects have stymied me from doing so.

sreed
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Reed
Company Details: Prologue Systems
Company Position Title: Principal
Skype Name: sabotva

Post by sreed » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:09 pm

I've tried working with the Recap Noise Filter feature a handful of times on various projects. Mixed results. I don't have a good feel for the precision settings. By my experience, you have to have a dead-on registration, as the points for any deviation may be "perceived" as noise or movement. The concept is quite good, however. I'll keep poking around with this feature in hopes of figuring it out. Great for removing vehicle and foot traffic, but it removes too many "good" points for my liking. Also, Recap handles regions in a manner that makes robust use of the region feature a little clunky.

I've inquired with Faro, with limited success, into "hacking" the scanner firmware to make an option to scan twice successively and only use the points that are the same for each scan - or the farthest distance point from the two successive scans. If anyone has ideas for pursuing this concept, PM me or post here.

I also have an algorithm i'd like to incorporate into a Scene App that would greatly speed the window/mirror clipping process. Again, PM me if interested in collaborating on this.

-S.

Return to “Pulse Based Scanners”