Blk360 or Faro S120

Leica BLK360, C5, C10, P15, P16, P20, P30, P40, P50, HDS8800, HDS8400, Riegl VZ6000, VZ4000, VZ2000, VZ1000 & VZ400i, Topcon GLS2000S,M&L, GLS1500, etc
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Blk360 or Faro S120

Post by gsisman » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:19 pm

Scott wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:12 pm
JohnBunnFARO wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:05 am
The FARO S120 was built in 2009, and we are running out of parts for it, because it is 2 generations ago for our scanning line. If you are looking to purchase a scanner in this price range, I would recommend the M70. This is part of our latest line of scanners and is in that same price range.
Make new replacement parts or make available good parts from scrapped units! ;) Is there a worldwide database for working parts?
:D
The "Big Boys" should partner with a small machine house if you don't want to do it yourself
Umm, that would go against the mantra of planned Obsolescence.
The previous "Built to last a lifetime" mantra (i.e. (Craftsman, Maytag, etc)....is dead
Thus the OEM market.

bdawood
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bashar Dawood
Company Details: Canada West Drafting Inc.
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by bdawood » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:28 pm

Maybe that is why we are having tons of garbage on this planet, if we do something that could last for ever then this planet will be in a good shape. It looks that the only thing that will last for ever on this planet is the piles and pales of garbage. We need a planet just for that.

Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Scott » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:24 pm

gsisman wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:19 pm
Scott wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:12 pm
JohnBunnFARO wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:05 am
The FARO S120 was built in 2009, and we are running out of parts for it, because it is 2 generations ago for our scanning line. If you are looking to purchase a scanner in this price range, I would recommend the M70. This is part of our latest line of scanners and is in that same price range.
Make new replacement parts or make available good parts from scrapped units! ;) Is there a worldwide database for working parts?
:D
The "Big Boys" should partner with a small machine house if you don't want to do it yourself
Umm, that would go against the mantra of planned Obsolescence.
The previous "Built to last a lifetime" mantra (i.e. (Craftsman, Maytag, etc)....is dead
Thus the OEM market.
Speaking of 'Maytags' -recently, I had to locate a timer for a Maytag W/D, after being told by the manufacture that the part was "no long made or worth the bother -just buy a new machine" (~$2000). The W/D was old, but clean and reliable, so I spent ~30min and located a 'new' factory timer (online) for ~$350. Once slapped back into the washer, I was back in business, saving much trouble and money. The W/D cost a lot less than my reliable FARO scanner, so we should push back on the 'Church of perpetual obsolescence' mentality that separates fools from their money. Quality goods should be supported -my 2 cents!

JonMag
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jonathan Magal
Company Details: GeoMJ
Company Position Title: Géomètre

Post by JonMag » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:58 am

Thanks for all your reply. I come back to the topic.

I'm afraid of the problems with the Faro S120 (https://www.laserscanningforum.com/foru ... 49&t=14798). The first sentence...
Is this Faro S120 less reliable than other unit ? I mean the risk of breakdown is high ? Or not more than other unit ?

landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx

Post by landmeterbeuckx » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:59 am

i have a trimble tx5 which is a focus s120 oem. i've had it for 6 years without any problems.
i believe it's like a car, sometimes yiu're just out of luck
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +3211661621
www.landmeter-beuckx.be
info@landmeter-beuckx.be

Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:52 am

I know it's big and heavy, but I'd get a second hand C10 or if you can afford it a P-series scanner. The data will be levelled, you can still cloud register if you want to, but you can also use targets if you need to prove your accuracy and work to highest precision. And you can traverse with it if you want. It's a proper survey instrutment. The other scanners aren't. You might be a little longer in the field, but will have less headaches in the office.

I'd also pick up an iSTAR camera.

Return to “Pulse Based Scanners”