GeoSLAM: Practice makes perfect?

Discuss all GeoSlam related products here.
AndreasB
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Andreas Broothaerts
Company Details: Ibs
Company Position Title: Junior
Linkedin Profile: No

GeoSLAM: Practice makes perfect?

Post by AndreasB »

Hello,

I just wanted to discuss with all of you GeoSLAM users, what the best general practices are when you are operating the GeoSLAM devices.

I was watching the webinar from the academy a week ago, and it stated that for having the best pointcloud: practice makes perfect.

Well as all of you probably have some/a lot of practice with this devices, I just wanted to check what kind of practices greatly improved your results or what kind of practices should be avoided.
For example, when scanning a long straight trajectory, one should implement loops into the route. But how big do you make your loops? How many do you make? I know this is all really depending on the situation but just want to get some extra insights in the data collection.

Hope you guys want to share the knowledge!

Kind regards,

Andreas
monikazibolyte
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Monika Zibolyte
Company Details: GeoSLAM
Company Position Title: Senior Solutions Architect
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: GeoSLAM: Practice makes perfect?

Post by monikazibolyte »

Hi Andreas,

Glad to hear you are using GeoSLAM Academy and GeoSLAM systems! I have been using GeoSLAM for about 3 years now and did lots of training on capturing data for best results.
Loops are important and one thing to mention is that the best loop to do is around an object and come back the other way. An "U" loop is all right, but an "O" loop, with a feature within a centre, is best practice.

When it comes to long corridors and tunnels, there are a couple of things to consider: first of all, how long your tunnel/corridor is and what scanner are you using? ZEB Horizon or ZEB REVO? As you might know, Horizon has 100 meters range and Revo - 30 m. If the tunnel is longer, you will have a better result with Horizon, because it will cover 100 m per each second of your scan, hence will see more features and geometry from the single shots. If you are using REVO or REVO RT, consider adding features such as chairs or boxes before the scanning and go around them. this will help to improve accuracy. as well, point the centre of the scanner to the features, as the centre front part has the most points. For both Horizon and REVO consider adding extra features if the tunnel/corridor is long. You can as well split scans to avoid having drift and then merge them in HUB software if tunnel is completely featureless.

Another general advice: if you can, avoid scanning highly reflective surfaces such as mirrors. If you cannot, then keep your back facing them. As the centre of the scanner has most points, try not to point the scanner to the mirrors/windows.
HERE is a pdf visualising the U and O loops and other general advice. I hope this helps.
https://geoslam-my.sharepoint.com/:b:/p ... w?e=aI0hyh
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Jason Warren »

Hi Monika,

The Sharepoint link https://geoslam-my.sharepoint.com/:b:/p ... w?e=aI0hyh appears to be down?
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum
monikazibolyte
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Monika Zibolyte
Company Details: GeoSLAM
Company Position Title: Senior Solutions Architect
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by monikazibolyte »

Hi Jason,

The link must have expired.

I suggest registering to GeoSLAM Academy, where you can find lots of training material on data capture, SLAM, our products and so on. There are also many webinar recordings there covering specific workflows.

It's in www.geoslam.com\academy

Otherwise, you are also welcome to drop me a line at [email protected]

All the best and good luck with scanning!
MZ

Return to “GeoSLAM”