GeoSLAM floor plan accuracies today

Discuss all GeoSlam related products here.
LPaulCook
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: L Paul Cook
Company Details: Land surveyor doing LiDAR
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

GeoSLAM floor plan accuracies today

Post by LPaulCook »

I have looked at some of the earlier posts about accuracies of the GeoSLAM product but they are all over a year old posts now.
I am a FARO x330 user for the past 2yr.11mo's, since they were first delivered. I do many types of scans but more and more to extract floor and building plans.

Can someone with current products please tell me what I might expect for "overall" and "individual room" accuracies in say a 30,000 SF floor (maybe with many rooms, hallways etc? (say in maybe a building 100'x300' overall)

Which GeoSLAM product would be best for this purpose? I know that they are much faster than the way I do them now...

Thanks!
L. Paul Cook, PLS
www.LPC3D.com
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -

Re: GeoSLAM floor plan accuracies today

Post by Ioannis »

I use geoslam zeb1 and the accurancies that i checked with total station is frim 1 to 3 cm. The pain in the ass is the software (geoslam desktop) that costs 15000 $ plus vat or buying credits ( 1 credit per 2 meter cost is 0.35 euro )
If i where you i will wait paracosm px80 they sold it for 25000$ and all the data is unlocked also italian company gexcel has a same slam scanner for about 40.000 $ also data unlocked.
Geoslam has 15-20 meter range due to hokuyo head and the two others 100 meter due to velodyne head.
mark.reid
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Mark Reid
Company Details: GeoSLAM
Company Position Title: Chief Operating Officer
Skype Name: mark.reid21

Post by mark.reid »

Hi Paul,

As mentioned above absolute accuracy across the survey should be in the region of 3cm however relative accuracy say within a room is likely to be closer to 1cm. Resulting accuracy from a SLAM based solution is always environment dependant hence best to give it a try in your typical application.

I would recommend our latest solution the ZEB-REVO RT with GeoSLAM Hub software which provides real time SLAM registration, colour point clouds, data merging, tools for automatic layout production and much more.

We have many distributors in the US so I would recommend contacting them to find out more and arrange a demo as this is the best way to see for yourself what it can do. Alternatively send me a mail and I can put you in contact with the best person.

Cheers

Mark
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Matt Young »

Colour data is very interesting - my main issue with data I have seen before was the lack of colour or intensity. I'm assuming that intensity is still not a thing with the Zeb but colour can be very useful when processing data.
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
Arctanx
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Anthony Crowley
Company Details: Crowley Pipeline and Land Surveying
Company Position Title: Vice president

Post by Arctanx »

Matt Young wrote:Colour data is very interesting - my main issue with data I have seen before was the lack of colour or intensity. I'm assuming that intensity is still not a thing with the Zeb but colour can be very useful when processing data.
Does the GeoSLAM Revo RT currently produce a color point cloud?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

I'm assuming that intensity is still not a thing with the Zeb but colour can be very useful when processing data
We recently hired a Zeb Revo and although the data doesn’t contain intensity values, it can be coloured by normals. When loaded into Cyclone, this gives an effect similar to viewing grayscale intensities.

We tried to colourise the data with Go-Pro video in GeoSLAM, but it took many hours and in the end it did not work at all.
Can someone with current products please tell me what I might expect for "overall" and "individual room" accuracies
For the absolute accuracy, this seems to depend on the loop and the geometry within it. We did a loop around a 3 storey building which was around 70m by 14m. We compared this data to our C10 cloud, the worst errors were around 5cm. We used sphere targets to coordinate the data, but you can also cloud register to individual C10 scans in Cyclone.

The relative accuracy I measure at 2-3cm. It was great for the building survey that I was doing, which was 1:100. However, if you needed to get light switch positions or electrical socket locations - you wont be able to see them in the point cloud and would have measure those in afterwards using a tape measure.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

Arctanx wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:36 am
Matt Young wrote:Colour data is very interesting - my main issue with data I have seen before was the lack of colour or intensity. I'm assuming that intensity is still not a thing with the Zeb but colour can be very useful when processing data.
Does the GeoSLAM Revo RT currently produce a color point cloud?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
We added automatic colourization for GeoSLAM to SCC some time back to get over this issue. The approach we took was to colour by orthogonal density, as can be seen below. This allows easy identification of positions where walls meet floors etc.. and also allows fully automated separation of the point cloud into different layers based on this. For more information we have a GeoSLAM play list on our youtube channel here

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module

Return to “GeoSLAM”