Outsource point cloud to 2D CAD

Discuss all GeoSlam related products here.
asbuiltguys
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: JD Mcgyver
Company Details: As-Built Guys
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Outsource point cloud to 2D CAD

Post by asbuiltguys »

Outsource point cloud to 2D cad.
I am looking for a resource to convert static and dynamic gathered point clouds to AutoCAD. Not a scanning service provider that also markets this service at a retail level.
In researching this on the forum, many of the posts I have found are quite old and some of the companies that replied were no longer in business.
ektoras
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Ektoras Avgitidis
Company Details: Terrestrial Laser Scanners
Company Position Title: Technical Support Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Outsource point cloud to 2D CAD

Post by ektoras »

Hello JD,

Can you let us know what is the format of the point cloud you have please? Directly, unfortunately it is not possible unless you have an AutoCAD plugin build installed in. If the point cloud is in las format, you can import it into REVIT which is an AutoDESK product. There are other open source software applications, such as CloudCompare and Blender with which you may load ply format (CloudCompare reads las/laz as well).

If you are a GeoSLAM user, you may use GeoSLAM Draw software app after processing your data with GeoSLAM HUB and render your 3D point cloud model there.

Can you explain what you would like to do to understand a bit better and advise you accordingly please?

Regards,
Ektor
GCFdesign
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gary Fellows
Company Details: GCF Design Limited
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by GCFdesign »

30+ years of new build and as-built draughting and modelling.

Having provided The Survey Association training courses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Gary Fellows

Director

GCF Design Limited

https://gcfdesign.wixsite.com/gcfdesign
asbuiltguys
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: JD Mcgyver
Company Details: As-Built Guys
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by asbuiltguys »

I send some PM's to you both.
RJGEOMATICS
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bart Man
Company Details: Laser Scanning
Company Position Title: Passionate about making amazing PCs

Post by RJGEOMATICS »

ektoras wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:40 pm Hello JD,

Can you let us know what is the format of the point cloud you have please? Directly, unfortunately it is not possible unless you have an AutoCAD plugin build installed in. If the point cloud is in las format, you can import it into REVIT which is an AutoDESK product. There are other open source software applications, such as CloudCompare and Blender with which you may load ply format (CloudCompare reads las/laz as well).

If you are a GeoSLAM user, you may use GeoSLAM Draw software app after processing your data with GeoSLAM HUB and render your 3D point cloud model there.

Can you explain what you would like to do to understand a bit better and advise you accordingly please?

Regards,
Ektor
Over the years. I have found *.pts to be the most common to all. It is not a structured format but basically everyone can take in a unified and registered .pts file. Such as Unreal, Rhino SCC,, BrcsCAD, Recap and Any other plethora of program.

You can use PTS with everything from airborne to mobile to Static to pointclouds exported from AgiSoft and others.

One caveat. .pts is not structured so you need ensure the scanning is completed to where all elements are defined by the Pointcloud itself and not those that depend on manual interpretation for the Bubble Views.

Basically if you get a fully unified and registered Pointcloud in PTS format almost every program on the market can make use of the data. But it Is unstructured data, thus needs to be fully registered and unified on delivery.

Also AutoCAD can work with pointClouds direct. For instance just import .pts to recap. Then you xref the recap. Turn on 3D o snap and away you go. Now if it is AutoCAD LT then it won't work. But if it is full AutoCAD then you are ok. And Civil3D actually works well with PointClouds also. No plugins required. And the display and features for pointclouds inside of C3D are greater and better in many ways, compared to Revit.
melshy
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Duy Nguyen
Company Details: Baezeni VietNam
Company Position Title: Baezeni VietNam
Skype Name: duy_bz

Post by melshy »

Hello, please check inbox ;) thanks.
rrigreid
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: rrig reid
Company Details: Self
Company Position Title: Self

Post by rrigreid »

does anyone have any good references on how involved the process is to get a 2D Line Drawing (like Modéliste freelance Paris) from a point cloud?

from what i gather, there's still a good deal of cleanup to make that happen. I'd love to see a list of steps on what would be required to pull this off.

Return to “GeoSLAM”