LC fans

Discuss Z+F Laser Control here.
hypsometric
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:50 pm
Full Name: Arash Yaghoubi
Company Details: Hypsometric
Company Position Title: Director of Cartography
Country: USA
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: LC fans

Post by hypsometric » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:23 am

Very important to understand about Laser Control...

Lasercontrol was and is a 2D application. This means the basis for all the analysis, filtering, and representation of data is based on nodal image depth analysis approach. very very few 3d features exist and they definitely are the weaker tools in the toolbox... however.... building a 2D app means its light... handles complex huge scan projects as well as small projects with very very little RAM overhead.

Personally, I think its a rather health approach the problem of registration and project management. Alternately, Cyclone is most definately a 3D app and Scene is a healthy hybrid. Downside for a 2D app is exploration... you cant really explore your cloud in Lasercontrol like you can in Scene or Cyclone but RECAP and ARENA and in the past pointtools solved this issue for LC users.

Furthermore, Scantra is awesome. Scantra is really well integrated into LC however all your scenesters, you can have loop closure in C to C by using Scantra as a standalone app.

Scantra is the cloudcompare of registration.

Jed... I will look into this further bc it would be awesome to have exportable environments to 3D apps so that you could create and or sell HDRs with your scans... but what I do know is that Z+F flavor of HDR is not multiexposure HDR... they resolve bit depth by taking "grey card" images to lock the bracketing range... so basically its of form of exposure traverse rather than the multi-exposure brute force method...

F color though... live in the matrix! your 120 lacks intensity depth... your 330 is better though! and you cyclone users are put off by intensity bc cyclone defaults to the rainbow...

embrace raw intensity! If you want to use a laser learn to see like a laser...

oh yeah forgot about the clients... ok color away kids. (soap box just broke in half)

Andrej
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:42 am
Full Name: Andrej
Company Details: Meixner Vermessung and Freelancer
Company Position Title: Project Manager
Country: Germany
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: LC fans

Post by Andrej » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:51 am

I would like to hear from users which are using Cyclone and LC what are your comments. What is better in LC.

I am in the same boot we are looking in getting a new scanner and registration license. I have also used RiScan, Scene and Realworks but so fare cyclone gives me the overall best for registration.
rwalker wrote:No one has mentioned that LC can take a stitched panorama (think iStar) and automatically colorize your data. I like it a little better than ColorCloud because it keeps all your data together inside LC, no need to export e57. The alignment can be a few pixels off (up to 5 or 6 maybe), but I think that has more to do with the iStar stitching software than LC.

Is this image then stored in a ZFS file and will come into ReCap with photo?

Thanks

Obinna
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:02 pm
Full Name: Egwuonwu Henry
Company Details: Ariosh Limited
Company Position Title: Design Engineer
Country: Nigeria
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: LC fans

Post by Obinna » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:22 am

AUDREJ
I use both Cyclone and LC. These are my observations:
1.Cyclone software is quiet robust i must say but it brings along with its robustness time lag in data capture/collection when compared to LC. For one to have a good error reduced data on cyclone, the targets will must be scanned on the field which will mean an extra 10 mins or more depending on the number of data that is to be scanned, since manually picking the targets will give higher error margin. But with LC, I don't have to scan the target, all i need to do is take the scan data back to the office, pick my targets manually and get same result as scanning the target on cyclone software (time LC:CYCLONE = 3 mins:15 mins.) Don't get me wrong, if you scan target in LC, you might have about same time line.

For data cropping, I have not seen any workflow process that can be used in LC to do that unlike CYCLONE. Cyclone software allows data to be cropped easily and taken to PDMS or E3D for further analysis. I wish I have some screen shot of my claims for better understanding.

I do not think cyclone has colour plugins because i haven't seen or used it before, but I am aware that LC does. Hence we have a better output in-terms of aesthetics.

Those are some of the comparison i can make with both softwares. If there is more, i am interested to know and explore.

r_oliveira
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:11 am
Full Name: Ricardo Oliveira
Company Details: Murphy Surveys Ltd
Company Position Title: Head of Digital Engineering
Country: Ireland

Re: LC fans

Post by r_oliveira » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:18 pm

Arash,

LC Plus does have Cloud to Cloud registration, is there any particular reason to use Scantra?

At this stage our workflow is done via Cyclone and, although there are definitely a lot of things to improve here, we do like the strengths it has in terms of registration and do see benefits in visually validating the registration using the 3D environment.

Regards,

Ricardo Oliveira

User avatar
Jana-at-kubit
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:59 pm
Full Name: Jana Siebenbrodt
Company Details: FARO Technologie Inc [Dresden]
Company Position Title: Platform Owner
Country: Germany
Linkedin Profile: Yes
Location: Dresden, Germany
Contact:

Re: LC fans

Post by Jana-at-kubit » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:55 pm

Hi Ricardo,

If I got it right it is Scantra included in LaserControl that does the LC cloud to cloud registration.
Jana Siebenbrodt
----------------------------------------------------------
FARO Techologie Inc., Dresden, Germany

http://faro.com/
https://knowledge.faro.com/Software/
----------------------------------------------------------

r_oliveira
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:11 am
Full Name: Ricardo Oliveira
Company Details: Murphy Surveys Ltd
Company Position Title: Head of Digital Engineering
Country: Ireland

Re: LC fans

Post by r_oliveira » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:42 pm

Jana-at-kubit wrote:Hi Ricardo,

If I got it right it is Scantra included in LaserControl that does the LC cloud to cloud registration.
Thanks Jana, it makes sense then :lol: .

Ricardo

ZFUSA
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:29 pm
Full Name: Jeremy Clements
Company Details: Z+F USA
Company Position Title: Laser Marketing And Sales Specialist
Country: United States
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: LC fans

Post by ZFUSA » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:54 pm

Hello everyone!

I just want to pop in and say one thing. LaserControl Professional Plus includes cloud to cloud registration.

The add on feature of Scantra provides the plane to plane registration.

This conversation is outstanding and I really appreciate everyone's input!

Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Jeremy Clements

jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Posts: 832
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:51 pm
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor
Country: USA
Linkedin Profile: Yes
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Contact:

Re: LC fans

Post by jedfrechette » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:37 pm

hypsometric wrote:Jed... I will look into this further bc it would be awesome to have exportable environments to 3D apps so that you could create and or sell HDRs with your scans... but what I do know is that Z+F flavor of HDR is not multiexposure HDR... they resolve bit depth by taking "grey card" images to lock the bracketing range... so basically its of form of exposure traverse rather than the multi-exposure brute force method...
I'll definitely be interested to hear what you come up with. Going to the trouble of capturing HDRs seems like a bit of a waste if you can't really take advantage of the extra flexibility that they give you. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about 'exposure traverse'. Are you saying there isn't much exposure overlap between the brackets? I guess I would expect (hope) that if they're metering off a gray card the HDR would just get correctly normalized so that the card has a value of 0.18 regardless of how the bracketing.

I can't say I disagree with your attitude towards capturing color, but I'll mostly attribute that to how primitive the tools are rather than a theoretical lack of utility.
Jed

rwalker
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:41 pm
Full Name: Ryan Walker
Company Details: ___
Company Position Title: P.Eng
Country: Canada

Re: LC fans

Post by rwalker » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:36 pm

Andrej wrote:I would like to hear from users which are using Cyclone and LC what are your comments. What is better in LC.

I am in the same boot we are looking in getting a new scanner and registration license. I have also used RiScan, Scene and Realworks but so fare cyclone gives me the overall best for registration.
rwalker wrote:No one has mentioned that LC can take a stitched panorama (think iStar) and automatically colorize your data. I like it a little better than ColorCloud because it keeps all your data together inside LC, no need to export e57. The alignment can be a few pixels off (up to 5 or 6 maybe), but I think that has more to do with the iStar stitching software than LC.

Is this image then stored in a ZFS file and will come into ReCap with photo?

Thanks

I export RCP directly from LC in the few times I've been forced to use recap, and it shows up with realview (photo) and it looks pretty good. Alternatively, I believe you can "bake" the colors into a ZFS-RGB file and import that (haven't tried). Forget exporting E57 because recap won't create real-views for some reason.

rwalker
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:41 pm
Full Name: Ryan Walker
Company Details: ___
Company Position Title: P.Eng
Country: Canada

Re: LC fans

Post by rwalker » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:41 pm

hypsometric wrote:Very important to understand about Laser Control...

Lasercontrol was and is a 2D application. This means the basis for all the analysis, filtering, and representation of data is based on nodal image depth analysis approach. very very few 3d features exist and they definitely are the weaker tools in the toolbox... however.... building a 2D app means its light... handles complex huge scan projects as well as small projects with very very little RAM overhead.

Personally, I think its a rather health approach the problem of registration and project management. Alternately, Cyclone is most definately a 3D app and Scene is a healthy hybrid. Downside for a 2D app is exploration... you cant really explore your cloud in Lasercontrol like you can in Scene or Cyclone but RECAP and ARENA and in the past pointtools solved this issue for LC users.

Furthermore, Scantra is awesome. Scantra is really well integrated into LC however all your scenesters, you can have loop closure in C to C by using Scantra as a standalone app.

Scantra is the cloudcompare of registration.
This.
Spot on. You CAN use LC to spotcheck your registration in 3d. Just window off a common area in a couple scans, send them to 3d (different color per scan), then view in orthogonal directions to check alignment. Definitely not optimized to fly around ala Euclideon, Cyclone, etc

Post Reply

Return to “Z+F Laser Control”