LC fans

Discuss Z+F Laser Control software here.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: LC fans

Post by dhirota »

Here are some example screen shots that other scanner software may have a problem displaying with a total of 5 clicks. The ability to change the transparency of the infrared and dynamically change the temperature scale is important for our visualizations of heat gain or loss and water penetration. The important operative is the single click to capture the laser scan, the HDR RGB image, and the infrared temperature image for each setup and the batch processing and registration of all the HDR RGB images and infrared images to the scans without having to do it manually.

We are also running LC 8.7.0 which optimizes white balance to reduce the white balance time which reduces the total scan+imaging time for each set up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by jcoco3 »

Very nice work Dennis :D

Any chance you have some images or videos of a thermal point cloud lying around? I have been hoping to see more T-Cam examples here, but I know not everyone has one handy. I saw the LC thermal/RGB/Intensity overlay blending at the IAFSM conference last year...so elegant.

Arash,
this Scenester forum. 8-)
low blow man, low blow :lol: but true! There has definitely been a great deal of Faro/Scene users that have joined the party recently including myself, but I hope that doesn't discourage or dilute other contributions to the forum. I really look forward to reading about all different scanners and software(especially the stuff I do not possess yet), so please continue.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

Jonathan

Another project using LC, which uses the Z+F smart light since there was no power on the 3rd floor of historic hangers 101 & 102 at Kaneohe MCBH (Marine Corps Base Hawaii), which were bombed at the same time by the Japanese during the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941. We used the Z+F Smart Light to scan + HDR RGB images in total darkness on the 3rd floor.

I included screen shots of the scans (total about 200) of the overview, part of 3rd floor and the biggest American flag that I have seen which was supposed to be removed to make our scanning easier. The visualization is displayed using Euclideon Geoverse of about 4B points.

These scans were part of the HABS submittal to the US National Park Service.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jcoco3 »

Very nice, and I am glad they didn't take the flag down. Looks marvelous :) Chopper looks huge too!
jrbrown
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: John Brown
Company Details: General Motors
Company Position Title: Lead Scanning and Modeling Engineer

Post by jrbrown »

As always Dennis, great stuff! Thanks for the info.

Jonathan,

I'm working on getting approval to send you some of the Thermal work we've completed to date. We're finding applications for the data that we hadn't initially considered.

more to follow.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

John:

Most people without access to an infrared imager (T-Cam or similar) will not see the results since the results are invisible (at a light wave length not detected by the human eye).

Jonathan did a great job else where in this forum on summarizing the technology.

Although we have a T-Cam, we have not used it on all of our scanning. It might be worth while to use it to discover new applications for the 90 seconds per scan.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jcoco3 »

90 seconds per scan.
:o It says 1:45min on the spec sheet, but that is still much better than my DIY thermal setup which was usually about 15min. With my setup I can capture a thermal panorama that is 3 Megapixels in the end. Any idea what the thermal overlay's final resolution would be prior to downsizing/upsizing to the scan's resolution? Never mind just found it on the spec sheet:
"2500 pixel / 360°-scaled to scan resolution"
If I understand that spec correctly then the final thermal panorama prior to scaling could be as high as 5 or 6 megapixels? If my calculations are correct, then that would be really amazing resolution for thermal imagery.

I am also wondering how you guys are dealing with the dynamic properties of the environments you are scanning? What I mean by that is, when capturing a panoramic image with a digital camera it is usually a good idea to "meter" the scene for high and low light levels so you can set the camera to a happy medium. We took the same approach with thermal imagery using the thermal camera's manual mode, as the automatic mode changes the color ramp too much to stich the individual images together into one large meaningful image even when pursuing only qualitative data . I am guessing there is some sort of manual mode on the T-Cam? If so, how does one "meter" the surroundings before thermal capture. It would be really neat if LC Scout would allow the operator to run through a quick procedure to point the thermal camera around so the highest and lowest temperatures could be recorded so that the best range could be set accordingly prior to each scan. If there is no manual mode, then the thermal range must be statically set very wide which does not provide much thermal contrast in turn leaving out small thermal anomalies.
I'm working on getting approval to send you some of the Thermal work we've completed to date. We're finding applications for the data that we hadn't initially considered.
I will be waiting in suspense :geek: There is a hidden world that is mostly unknown to us, and the capturing and integration of other spectrums of energy will change the way we scan/see things.

Sorry to pummel you guys with questions and highjack the LC thread, just very curious how Z+F are overcoming some of the technical difficulties I have encountered in the past.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

Jonathan:

We have not timed the T-Cam imaging, but I recall it was about 1:30, but it could be 1:45.

We have a 75 inch, 4K Samsung TV and I have a 15 inch, 4K Dell M4800 which display at 3840 X 2160 which gets you more than few pixels. I think it depends on how you count pixels, since the T-Cam images above were all down sampled to 1000 pixels wide to make them fit in the forum.

We deal with dynamic lighting environments by letting the Z+F 5010C capture the HDR RGB images automatically. For those that may not be familiar with the image capture work flow, unless it is at night or early in the morning, all exposure information is set in the 5010C. This can be modified manually for very dark environments, but only once did we do this for early morning work (shown on this forum, several years ago).

The T-Cam range is set when it is installed on the 5010C (-20 to 100C, 0 to 250C, and 150 to 900C) and the display is dynamically set with LC to optimize the best visualization and legend as seen above. The highest and lowest visualization range can be set dynamically, within the ranges mentioned above.

As you said, this is such an elegant solution to the infrared image capture requirements since it will capture the laser scan, HDR RGB, and the calibrated infrared image with a single click. All we need now is for it to load itself into the vehicle, drive to the site, capture the data, register and model the data, and put itself back on the shelf.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jcoco3 »

Thanks for the info.
All we need now is for it to load itself into the vehicle, drive to the site, capture the data, register and model the data, and put itself back on the shelf.
And bring you coffee in the morning, or maybe an espresso ;)
Just a matter of time I guess.
NOVAMECH
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Nick Bush
Company Details: NOVAMECH
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: novamech5

Post by NOVAMECH »

Be careful what you wish for! comes to mind.

Return to “Z+F Laser Control”