V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Arm scanner durability?

Post by jedfrechette »

We're looking at getting an Arm scanner for an upcoming project. The project would involve working at the customer's facilities so the arm would need to be shipped regularly. I'm concerned about how well they can hold up to that sort of abuse and still maintain calibration. I've heard some horror stories from one person about Romers, but I don't know how representative that is. It would be great to get some more feedback from other users who travel with their arms regularly.

I'm not leaning toward a particular system yet so I'd love to hear about experiences, both good and bad, with any of them. The volumes we would be scanning are pretty big so I am looking at the longer arms and faster scanners.

Thanks,
Jed
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Re: Arm scanner durability?

Post by 3DForensics »

They are lab pieces of equipment and not meant to be bouncing around in a box...Although you can calibrate them before use, I carry any sensitive piece of equipment with me or rent locally.

If you really must ship, please take extra care with packaging and a lot of foam around and in between the arm components so they can't touch off on one another. I know some of the cases that come with the units are ok, but not always the best.

Eugene
nickherath
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Nick Herath
Company Details: Veris
Company Position Title: Principal

Post by nickherath »

The travel cases for both Faro and Romer arms are excellent and protect the instrument well in transit.
As with all precision instruments, it's good practice to run some basic calibration checks after travelling such as measuring a ring gauge or scale bar.
Our oldest arm is now ten years old and travels frequently around the country. Never had any calibration issues. Touch wood.
jarrodschmidt
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jarrod Schmidt
Company Details: Creaform USA
Company Position Title: Regional Manager
Skype Name: jarrod.schmidt.creaform3d

Post by jarrodschmidt »

You may want to get a demo on a highly portable system from Creaform, the HandySCAN 700. You can check it as luggage when you fly, but it is also small enough to take it as a carry-on. It reads 14 laser lines as opposed to one from a arm based scanner, so it is substantially faster.

Check it out… http://www.creaform3d.com/en/metrology- ... ndyscan-3d

Return to “Product Comparison”