V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Cloud 2 cloud distance calculation time

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

Hi !

I just cancelled a cloud 2 cloud distance calculation that was at 2% done, it was going for 4 days. I had a 2.4gb pointcloud (twice), at 3mm density. I cropped the area more and decimated it more (6mm density) and now its about 500mb pointcloud 2x. Just launched it again.

I feel like this is still going to take forever. Is there a setting that I did wrong? They want to know if the wall moved significantly or not. I have the client calling me often saying lawyers are waiting on this and putting pressure on me and all I can answer is that the computer is working 100% cpu for days and its at 2% ...
Heres the current setting;
settings.png
Only pc I can use is this 10 core 9900x at 4.5ghz overclocked pc. We ordered two threadripper pro 32 core stations but they are not here yet. Our other stronger workstations are also on urgent projects so I can't use them (its that time of the year lol, rush before winter).

I feel like this pc should be able to eat threw this computation, its only a small area, why is it taking so long? anything I can do to improve computing speeds? Any other software I should look at?
PROJECT.png
Thanks,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
danielgm
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Girardeau-Montaut
Company Details: CloudCompare
Company Position Title: Administrator
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Cloud 2 cloud distance calculation time

Post by danielgm »

Maybe you can try with the latest 2.12.beta version (there was a small bug in the determination of the octree level in some rare cases, that was leading to way to high octree levels to be selected). I see here that the selected octree level is 16, which is already huge, especially if your cloud is small.

(if the 2.21.beta version still select octree level 16, you'll probably have to reduce this manually to 11 or 12. And if you can send me the cropped clouds that would be useful to try to improve things in this case!)
Daniel
CloudCompare admin
http://www.cloudcompare.org/
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

Hi Daniel,

Had to cancel that process after seeing your post (it was stuck at 17%). Manually selected octree level 10 and it did the computation in 20 seconds.
I will DM you the files in case you want to trouble shoot. In short I can only assume the issue is the ''auto'' octree level.

thanks !
danielgm
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Girardeau-Montaut
Company Details: CloudCompare
Company Position Title: Administrator
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by danielgm »

For the records, I fixed the bug that was making CC choose a very high octree level. The latest 2.12.beta version has been updated.
Daniel
CloudCompare admin
http://www.cloudcompare.org/

Return to “CloudCompare”