Full Name: Dan Sullivan
Company Details: Land Surveyor
Company Position Title: Land Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: No

iSTAR rotated images P40

Post by Dsullivan »

Hey guys, new to the forum.

We have been struggling with an issue of rotated images on the iSTAR fusion
The scanner we are using is the LEICA P40.

The projects we are working on are currently all at night in large open areas of an airfield.
We have been having to manually rotate and stitch our iSTAR images to the pointcloud and this is proving very time consuming.
Is there any better solution for us?

We have been told the following.

“This is normal when there is so little in the image to match to the scan. Only about 45 degrees in the horizontal with only 10 in the vertical have usable data for image matching, and image resolution at that range is not good. The cube faces it has imported can be manually attached to the scan, but will have to be moved out of the multi-image folder into an normal project folder for the Texture map browser to be able to see it

any solutions in hardware, software and processing ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: iSTAR rotated images P40

Post by gsisman »

Dsullivan wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:28 am Hey guys, new to the forum.

We have been struggling with an issue of rotated images on the iSTAR fusion
The scanner we are using is the LEICA P40.

The projects we are working on are currently all at night in large open areas of an airfield.
We have been having to manually rotate and stitch our iSTAR images to the pointcloud and this is proving very time consuming.
Is there any better solution for us?

We have been told the following.

“This is normal when there is so little in the image to match to the scan. Only about 45 degrees in the horizontal with only 10 in the vertical have usable data for image matching, and image resolution at that range is not good. The cube faces it has imported can be manually attached to the scan, but will have to be moved out of the multi-image folder into an normal project folder for the Texture map browser to be able to see it

any solutions in hardware, software and processing ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Can you set up Unique kinds of IMAGE targets/Objects that it can identify from image to image AND scans, and then remove them and do a subscan of that region for filling in the cloud. Say big cardboard boxes with painted black white checkerboard or unique diamond/Triangle shapes, etc that it can then have positive geometric as well as visual matches in the algorithms to align the photos to the scan? Not sure how many of these you would need. Can the tech people at NCTECH help you determine this?
https://www.nctechimaging.com/
TMillington
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Tony Millington
Company Details: ISIS Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Company Position Title: Survey section leader

Post by TMillington »

Hi Dan

Have you tried/are you using NCTech's ColourCloud to match the 360 images to the scan data? We get pretty good results with this, even under poorly lit conditions.

Alternatively, if the problem is with too few distinct features in the scan and imagery you could try adding some features (parked vehicles/instrument boxes?) to help the matching process orientate itself - although i know adding 'clutter' to pointclouds goes against survey logic...........

Regards
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x »

Did you try to stitch the images together with Nctechs software then import them to Cyclone?

I have had some terrible pictures when scanning in some rooms/cupboards but they have stitched fine then lined up in Cyclone.
Dsullivan
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Dan Sullivan
Company Details: Land Surveyor
Company Position Title: Land Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Dsullivan »

Thanks for all your responses

The nature of the work site doesn't allow us to leave too many random features lying about but we generally did have the odd vehicle and around 6-8 tripods and cones in view.
This has not seemed to help too much. Would maybe using more targets at a closer range help in the future?

We will check out the colourcloud to see if this works better than cyclone. However, judging from this document that we were sent over, could have simliar issues.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “VR Virtual Reality”