rsivak
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Ryan Sivak
Company Details: BSI Engineering
Company Position Title: Process Designer - Lead Scanning Tech

Clipping Scans for Edgewise

Post by rsivak »

Is there an easy workflow for clipping a scan file down before running it in Edgewise? For example, You want to only find pipe in the ceiling.
jmoranCE3D
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jason Moran
Company Details: ClearEdge 3D
Company Position Title: Assistant Product Manager
Skype Name: edgewise.support
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Clipping Scans for Edgewise

Post by jmoranCE3D »

EdgeWise does not contain any Point Cloud editing tools, so if you want to remove points from the cloud, it's best to do that in a registration tool before importing to EdgeWise. As long as the Row and Column Information and Scanner Location info remain in the scan, EdgeWise should process it fine.

If you're only interested in a few pipes, you may want to skip the Automated Pipe Extraction and open a Blank Pipe Model instead, then use the semi-automated Extract Tool (hotkey: X) to pick out just the pipes you need. Of course, in this work flow you will still need to create a Point Database, which can be time consuming on it's own. I would not recommend this workflow unless there truly are only a few pipes that need to be extracted, as it is much slower than the automated process.
brian715
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Brian Boehmer
Company Details: Meridian Eng.
Company Position Title: LiDAR Technician
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Clipping Scans for Edgewise

Post by brian715 »

We decimate the point cloud before importing into edgewise. It doesn't take very much data for edgewise to do its thing. We have exported every 10th row and column from scene and had no problems extracting walls in edgewise. It also makes the software run a lot faster especially if you are trying to import 300-400 scans at a time.

Return to “ClearEdge3D”