Why you should use point clouds in SketchUp?

Discuss Undet software here.
Aurelijus
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Aurelijus Petraitis
Company Details: Undet Point Cloud Software
Company Position Title: Product Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Why you should use point clouds in SketchUp?

Post by Aurelijus »

Hello all,

Just recently Undet opened brand new workflows for SketchUp users involving point clouds. 3D Building Modelling, Architecture and Interior Design, 3D City Modelling – these are recent projects successfully delivered by first Undet for SketchUp users. Furthermore, next to numerous already supported file formats we implemented direct DotProduct *.DP import. This combination of DotProduct + SketchUp + Undet makes an extremely affordable solution reducing barriers for technology-savvy end users...

Read more about this here: http://www.undet.com/blog/why-you-shoul ... -sketchup/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Aurelijus Petraitis
Undet Software Team
silviaks90
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Kyle Pickering
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Co-Founder

Re: Why you should use point clouds in SketchUp?

Post by silviaks90 »

The issue as we see it right now with modeling point clouds in Sketchup especially piping related is there is no drafting deliverable available as an end result. We have had fantastic results both cost effective and visually using Sketchup + Undet. However since the piping and objects have no real information behind them even with the ability to import .skp files into AutoCAD, the best we can get is centerlines which we would have to remodel in something like Plant3D/ Cadworx/ Acorn again to derive Isometrics and smart P&ID's. Unless there is some workaround that we haven't stumbled upon yet! In which case I would be more than happy to know what it is because the ability to have Trimble Field points for free is fantastic.

We have been struggling to make this workflow viable for the last few months because we see the potential Sketchup offers, just haven't been able to fully tap it as of yet.

Kyle
Kyle Pickering
Co-Founder and Designer, ONSITE3D
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Scott »

We have been struggling to make this workflow viable for the last few months because we see the potential Sketchup offers, just haven't been able to fully tap it as of yet. ~Kyle
Thanks for your comments, Kyle -many of us would like to make use of SU and Undet, it's all in the workflow.
Aurelijus
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Aurelijus Petraitis
Company Details: Undet Point Cloud Software
Company Position Title: Product Manager

Post by Aurelijus »

Kyle,

Thanks for your comments. The power of SketchUp is in its plugins. Could you add more info to this:
silviaks90 wrote:However since the piping and objects have no real information behind them even with the ability to import .skp files into AutoCAD, the best we can get is centerlines which we would have to remodel...
Do you mean tools like in the plugins below just within the point cloud extraction workflow?
https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/3skeng-pipe
http://www.pipedraft.com/
Regards,
Aurelijus Petraitis
Undet Software Team
silviaks90
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Kyle Pickering
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Co-Founder

Post by silviaks90 »

Aurelijus wrote:Kyle,

Thanks for your comments. The power of SketchUp is in its plugins. Could you add more info to this:

Do you mean tools like in the plugins below just within the point cloud extraction workflow?
https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/3skeng-pipe
http://www.pipedraft.com/
I couldnt agree more about the importance of plugins Aurelijus! There are a few applications that we could not model piping without, one of which is 3skeng. Thank you for bringing pipedraft to our attention, this is along the lines of what we have been missing from our Sketchup workflow, I haven't got a chance to use it yet but it looks to be promising.

Thanks again,
Kyle Pickering
Co-Founder and Designer, ONSITE3D

Return to “Undet”