Realworks : Project, Registration and Production

Discuss Trimble Realworks software here.
Christophe21
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Christophe
Company Details: AB VD
Company Position Title: Technician
Linkedin Profile: No

Realworks : Project, Registration and Production

Post by Christophe21 »

Hi Realworks users,

I'm progressing but clearly I can't stand the workflow process ... :o

So after importing so much station in registration process, you should want to create group and sub group to organise your work, for preparing clouds for each "room" or "aera" zoning ...

Next you switch to production process and then what's happen ... Huh ... Just NOTHING ! Only having an empty objet in witch you can only call the whole bunch of registration point in a poor and lonely "cloud object"

So there the hardworck you've already done of creating a coherent structure in registration module is lost in production module ... so what ?! :roll:

You can't event make a copy of the registration group structure ... :cry:

In fact ergonomically and workflowly speaking, when you switch to production module, REALWORKS should recreate your group structure and create a (also) lonely cloud objet for each group containing station in registration. :idea: (in this case, exporting each group cloud become so easy ;) )

Then this way you should be able to continue your work, based on merged subclouds. Starting from there the cleaning or segmentation work could be really great ! (and you will not have the feeling to do twice the work if you need to extract "subcloud" for each room you've scanned.

So maybe we can have a try and opening several little project to work with. Great ! you can work here without the risk of accidentaly modifying the other one.
But in fact you cant pass group from project A to group in project B with a simple "move" or "copy/paste" action ...
So working with multiple project is only a visual purpose, it's absolutely useless in order to build a coherent structure between them. :!:

You even can't "cut" a project group to "paste-it" in a new, from scratch, one in order to secate the big one in smaller part easyer to handle.

What a ergonomical mess ! :shock:

Now what ... please let me know if it's a lack of knowledge from my side or if this type of simple workflow organisation are not available in Realworks. :geek:

If it's so, I would be really gratefull to you spending some time to explain the "how to" ...

Thanks.
jaredmatthews
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jared
Company Details: Sova Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: jaredmatthews
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Realworks : Project, Registration and Production

Post by jaredmatthews »

Hi Christophe

I too am fairly new to using realworks (I have been using it for about a month now).

My workflow process is as follows:

I import all my scans into the project. For example lets say I have 50 scans total.

Then once all scans have been imported, I will organise the scans into groups/areas.

So lets say I have 5rooms:
Room1=scans1-9
Room2=scans10-19
Room3=scans20-29
ETC

Then for each room, I will do an "auto-register using planes" from the scan-based registration option.

A pop-up window will appear with all the scans for that room, asking to choose a reference scan. There is also a "generate preview" checkbox, which MUST be selected if you want points to be visible in the production mode.
workflow.PNG
Let me know if you need any more assistance and I will try help.
Send me a PM so I get notified :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jaredmatthews
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jared
Company Details: Sova Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Director
Skype Name: jaredmatthews

Post by jaredmatthews »

Hi Christophe

I too am fairly new to using realworks (I have been using it for about a month now).

My workflow process is as follows:

I import all my scans into the project. For example lets say I have 50 scans total.

Then once all scans have been imported, I will organise the scans into groups/areas.

So lets say I have 5rooms:
Room1=scans1-9
Room2=scans10-19
Room3=scans20-29
ETC

Then for each room, I will do an "auto-register using planes" from the scan-based registration option.

A pop-up window will appear with all the scans for that room, asking to choose a reference scan. There is also a "generate preview" checkbox, which MUST be selected if you want points to be visible in the production mode.
workflow.PNG
Let me know if you need any more assistance and I will try help.
Send me a PM so I get notified :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tchaper
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Thomas Chaperon
Company Details: Trimble
Company Position Title: Senior software engineer

Post by tchaper »

Hi Christophe,

in the Registration configuration, a group is a cluster of stations (or subgroups) intended to move rigidly throughout the registration operations. In other words, the transform (rotation, translation) between stations that belong to the same group never changes. A Group behaves pretty much as if it were single station.
This concept doesn't appear in Production, because one typically doesn't need to know how the scans were registered to produce deliverables. But if you do wish to retrieve point clouds from specific groups of stations, it is possible in the Sampling tool: select the project cloud, start the Sampling tool, and choose the 'scan-based sampling', then turn on/off the light bulbs to select the desired stations. This will create point clouds of the corresponding groups or stations.
I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Thomas
Christophe21
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Christophe
Company Details: AB VD
Company Position Title: Technician
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Christophe21 »

Yep ^_^

It is the solution.

But in fact I have to do this hand by hand, group by group.
this take a big bunch of time, also it is easy to handle on a dozen of group this is far less handy on multi-hundred groups.

Should be nice if it was "batch-able"

Each time I light up a bulb it upload cloud in memory and discharge the unlighten one, and this is a huge HDD Read/Write operation.

Any Idea ?
geedaa83
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Mohamed AbdEl-Magied
Company Details: 3DBIM
Company Position Title: Technical Sales Manager
Skype Name: geedaa83
Location: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mohamed-abd ... d-8519a52/

Post by geedaa83 »

Hi Christophe

i just fininshed one project simillar to what you have it contains around 89 scans for different rooms

workflow inside realworks was as below:
1- import all scans to realworks
2- if would like to group them so its ok if not go to step 3
3- inside registration module --> home tab --> create sampled scans for selected number of scans or for all
4- with every group; choose registration tab --> auto register using plans / or cloud based / or register using targets
5- repeat step 3 and 4 with every group until you finish
Thank You

Mahmed AbdEl-Magied
+201122389828 (whatsApp & calls)
[email protected]

Return to “Trimble Realworks”