Delete points from mirror

Discuss all Trimble Realworks related issues here.
Muleymuel
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Sam Lynas
Company Details: PCL
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Re: Delete points from mirror

Post by Muleymuel » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:41 am

Sorry, I got your name wrong in my last post.

Vincent,

How do you delete points that are behind something if you cannot see them in Scan Explorer, without deleting points that you want to keep in front?

Vincent DENIS
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Vincent Denis
Company Details: Geopole
Company Position Title: Surveyor Scan - graphic designer 3D
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Vincent DENIS » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:20 pm

Hum, you must have a specific case in mind !

To be honest, windows don't realy distub me (more noise, not big deal). Mirror can refelect wrong information, and it's necessary to cleannig them. And normaly i have nothing between my scan and the mirror.

Muleymuel
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Sam Lynas
Company Details: PCL
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by Muleymuel » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:32 pm

I do. I just want a simple way to remove superfluous and erroneous data from scans by drawing a fence and deleting without having to go into Production Mode. It would be easier and far quicker to delete from each individual scan without the rest of the cloud being in the way, without having to do further long-winded station sampling. I am sure you can do this in Cyclone and other registration software.

Vincent DENIS
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Vincent DENIS » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:38 pm

Yeah i understand, and i'm agree with you!

On other software it's easier, but they are on market for longer! Give time to realworks teams. I believe in them ;)

jaredmatthews
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Jared
Company Details: Sova Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Laser Scanner
Skype Name: jaredmatthews

Post by jaredmatthews » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:14 pm

Muleymuel wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:32 pm
I just want a simple way to remove superfluous and erroneous data from scans by drawing a fence and deleting without having to go into Production Mode. It would be easier and far quicker to delete from each individual scan without the rest of the cloud being in the way, without having to do further long-winded station sampling.
YES!! Finally someone who understands my need!

And as you say, I get that it can be done in production mode (where you have to then crop out the rest of the cloud to find the stray points you want to delete) or through scan explorer (where you have to select the points to sample, then do the cleaning, then merge the cleaned points o the rest of the cloud etc).

It just seems to be the wrong way round to go about things. Surely it makes more sense to register together clean data (by first removing stray or superfluous points before registering) instead of trying to register together data that should not be there to begin with (duplicate points that mirrors/glass surfaces create) and then trying to clean out that data amongst the other useable data.

Muleymuel wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:32 pm
I am sure you can do this in Cyclone and other registration software.
I know you can do this in the Scene, but other than that feature, I still prefer the results obtained from the likes of Realworks (especially when working on enormous clouds with scans on the 250+ region) I also feel that you have more fine tuned manual control. I cannot say anything about cyclone as I have not used it, but I hear good things.

LPaulCook
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: L Paul Cook
Company Details: Land surveyor doing LiDAR
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by LPaulCook » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:11 pm

Why not clean them up in SCENE first, then export them.
I always make a sketch of the site/rooms and add a squiggle red line where mirrors are so I only need to clean those few scans.
I agree 100%, clean before registration and clean one scan at a time.
I usually clean out Windows too as glass can bend light and cause data on the other side to shift somewhat which could throw off cloud to cloud registration somewhat.
Last edited by LPaulCook on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
L. Paul Cook, PLS
www.LPC3D.com

jaredmatthews
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Jared
Company Details: Sova Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Laser Scanner
Skype Name: jaredmatthews

Post by jaredmatthews » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:58 pm

LPaulCook wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:11 pm
Why not clean them up in SCENE first, then export them.
I dont see the logic in having to use too seperate software packages to achieve one result. I have a purchased Realworks license, but now must also purchase a scene license just to clean points... :-P

LPaulCook
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: L Paul Cook
Company Details: Land surveyor doing LiDAR
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by LPaulCook » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:17 pm

Your first post on this thread said

"I have recently made the switch from Scene to Realworks."

I had assumed that you still had SCENE.

If not I think the free version of SCENE will do that, the free version used to do everything the paid version did except register scans. At least I think that's still true. I have not looked at their free version for a few years though.

Realworks needs to make that easy to do as it's important.
L. Paul Cook, PLS
www.LPC3D.com

JohnNPS8
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: John Wachtel
Company Details: National Park Service AKRO
Company Position Title: Historical Architect

Post by JohnNPS8 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:43 am

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I feel this pain still. My related post was linked earlier by Vincent (viewtopic.php?f=170&t=12247), but I still feel like I haven't figured out if I'm doing it right.

I'm segmenting parts of the clouds out into a "Points to Delete" folder, then selecting each one of those and doing the "Remove Points from TZF Scans" command on each one. It appears to so something for a bit, then I'm not sure what happens. From what I can tell, points are still there. I thought there was an issue about needing to re-sample the scans from the Project Cloud again to see the removal take effect, but that would require me to know what it means to "Get All Points" and "Get Remaining Points", which I don't.

Can anyone explain how this process is supposed to work (officially)? A bullet point list of steps needed to delete some unwanted points, and confirm that they have been removed for good. That shouldn't be too hard right? :lol:

Vincent, I feel that you have the best handle on this, but I didn't completely follow your explanation. I'm not always wanting to delete just "mirror points", so I'm not looking for the Scan Explorer method.
"Argument and discussion should make the agony of decision making so intense, you can only escape by thinking." -Fred Friendly

Vincent DENIS
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Vincent DENIS » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:54 am

Hi John.

To be honest, when support explain to me procedure to delete wrong point i don't believe it. That it's so complicated !!!

I will explain what I understood : Point clouds data on Realworks are .TZF files
To see point clouds on your computer, Realworks extarct data from .TZF to create .RWCX
If you update .TZF (by deleting some part of point cloud) you have to delete old .RWCX and extract a new one from .TZF .......

I don't know if what i say is understanding (i'm not very good in English ...)

Return to “Trimble Realworks”